IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

BTW my wife sent me a study that shows that neck gaiters are actually worse, as they almost aerosolize the droplets, than no mask at all.

2060069ae0d2abe393b84b839a5e43e1098a6d55

Neck gaiters weren’t the only face coverings tested: in all 14 were analyzed, from N95s (unsurprisingly judged to be the most effective in containing...

I've stopped wearing mine. I now wear regular masks.

Plus, honestly, the neck gaiters almost went "inside" your mouth when you talked and that bugged me anyway. I did it for two days, and then stopped, and weeks later I'm glad as she sent me that Duke University study.

This study? 

50171617501_94b60e0d16_c-1.jpg

Rumors claimed that using neck gaiters instead of a mask may actually increase the transmission of the coronavirus.
10 minutes ago, mdl said:

My take away from that study was that it was the fleece material that aerosolized the droplets, not necessarily the gator design? Thought anything elasticized is also more or less worthless, as it'll stretch out over your mouth and the holes will be enormous relative to the droplets we care about.

Yes to the first, I'm not sure whether the droplet size or the virus size is the important one, though. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Shindig said:

This study? 

I linked to it in the post. The Duke University one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I linked to it in the post. The Duke University one.

Yep, that's the same one in the Snopes link.  The short story is that the study didn't say what some agencies reported it said.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, iacas said:

I’m hearing from a lot of schools (via my wife) that kids are being good about wearing masks because they want to be in school.

That’s good to hear. I can see it with older kids, but K-2nd or so... I could only imagine. 

- Shane

FWIW, my 4 year old is really good about wearing a mask when he has to. Our zoo requires masks for kids 3+, and we've been there for 4 hours a couple of times. No issues with him wearing a mask the whole time. We do make sure to have a break or two from it in that time. But it surprises me how good he is with it. Better than some adults, that's for sure.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

But it surprises me how good he is with it. Better than some adults, that's for sure.

My kids, 4 and 6, also have no problems wearing masks when required.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Kids adapt pretty well.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

https://time.com/5883081/covid-19-transmitted-aerosols/

When it comes to COVID-19, the evidence overwhelmingly supports aerosol transmission, and there are no strong arguments against it. For example, contact tracing has found that much COVID-19 transmission occurs in close proximity, but that many people who share the same home with an infected person do not get the disease. To understand why, it is useful to use cigarette or vaping smoke (which is also an aerosol) as an analog. Imagine sharing a home with a smoker: if you stood close to the smoker while talking, you would inhale a great deal of smoke. Replace the smoke with virus-containing aerosols, which behave very similarly, and the impact is similar: the closer you are to someone releasing virus-carrying aerosols, the more likely you are to breathe in larger amounts of virus. We know from detailed, rigorous studies that when individuals talk in close proximity, aerosols dominate transmission and droplets are nearly negligible.

If you are standing on the other side of the room, you would inhale significantly less smoke. But in a poorly ventilated room, the smoke will accumulate, and people in the room may end up inhaling a lot of smoke over time. Talking, and especiallysinging and shouting increase aerosol exhalation by factors of 10 and 50, respectively. Indeed, we are finding that outbreaks often occur when people gather in crowded, insufficiently ventilated indoor spaces, such as singing at karaoke parties, cheering at clubs, having conversations in bars, and exercising in gyms. Superspreading events, where one person infects many, occur almost exclusively in indoor locations and are driving the pandemic. These observations are easily explained by aerosols, and are very difficult or impossible to explain by droplets or fomites.

Science, folks. Let's trust the science.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

https://time.com/5883081/covid-19-transmitted-aerosols/

Science, folks. Let's trust the science.

Agreed.  I go out most late afternoons for a convivial cocktail.  Oftentimes I meet up with friends for some lively conversation, but distancing is key. I select from a number of places near me... all within a mile.  I sit outside (religiously) in the fresh air and never downwind when aerosols are lurking about.  Though there is one indoor place I go that is on the 2nd floor and they open all their windows for a good cross-breeze.  The staff at these places always wear a mask, and so do I when chatting with them.  Major upcoming problem:  Soon it will be colder and wetter.  Might have to break out the raingear and warmth gear from my golf bag.  I will not sit in stagnant, potentially infected, air.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
typo

I agree with both of the last posts but admit that I've been doing more indoor activities then I had in the past. Our restaraunts are open with reduced capacity and we have started going out more but I never feel really comfortable. I'm definitely not doing anything with large crowds. Indoors or outdoors. 

It's tough. I try to find a balance to reduce risk but part of me feels it is inevitable to get it at some point unless we get a vaccine. I think part of it is just fatigue from isolating so much for months 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

Trumps tweet hurt badly. $SPY dumping. Wish so bad this pandemic would go. Wow the Markets suddenly in serious trouble.

Now when you consider over the past 5 years. That is off topic here 😜

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.32.10 PM.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Let’s keep away from politics please.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My post was more about the stock market and the need for stimulus during CoVID and the affects of not getting it after Jerome Powell spoke. I’m an active trader and follow the markets closely. Hope the markets rebound strong. I bought some inverse options to hedge positions just in case.

3 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

My post was more about the stock market and the need for stimulus during CoVID and the affects of not getting it after Jerome Powell spoke. I’m an active trader and follow the markets closely. Hope the markets rebound strong. I bought some inverse options to hedge positions just in case.

This thread about the actual COVID-19. There is another thread about golfing during COVID-19. Politics is discouraged in this forum. If you want to start a thread on the stock market, I am sure you could. In no way should it be about politics, since that is discouraged here. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

First vaccine data is out, and it looks good. 90% effective:

2835.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

Interim analysis of vaccine by Pfizer/BioNTech far exceeds expectations of most experts

This is undoubtedly great news. However, it requires 2 doses and it has to be stored at -80 degree celsius. I'm not sure that's scalable to use this vaccine for the whole population. It might be a good candidate for vaccine specific high risk populations like health care workers, nursing home residents, teachers, etc. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

23 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

First vaccine data is out, and it looks good. 90% effective:

2835.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8

Interim analysis of vaccine by Pfizer/BioNTech far exceeds expectations of most experts

This is undoubtedly great news. However, it requires 2 doses and it has to be stored at -80 degree celsius. I'm not sure that's scalable to use this vaccine for the whole population. It might be a good candidate for vaccine specific high risk populations like health care workers, nursing home residents, teachers, etc. 

Indeed, very good news, although interim.  These results apply only to the first 7 days after the second dose, so long-term efficacy is still being evaluated, as is the longer-term potential for side effects.  I read that they're studying whether the vaccine can survive for moderate time periods at normal refrigerator temperatures, if so it could be practical to use it more widely.  Fingers crossed, hoping for more good news.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.