IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

3 hours ago, iacas said:

And the touching/adjusting isn't really what I call "wearing it incorrectly."

From the CDC.

image.png

I constantly see people adjusting their mask and not washing or sanitizing. A see a lot of people wearing them on their chin. It is very rare that I see people following these guidelines.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh, it landed.

I see no proof of that. 😉

Edited by CarlSpackler

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

From the CDC.

Still not "wearing it incorrectly."

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It is very rare that I see people following these guidelines.

Then I don't know what to say about the people near where you live because I see about 80%+ of people following those guidelines in addition to "wearing them properly."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Still not "wearing it incorrectly."

Then I don't know what to say about the people near where you live because I see about 80%+ of people following those guidelines in addition to "wearing them properly."

I would say that not following the guidelines is wearing it incorrectly. 

Edited by CarlSpackler

- Shane

• Administrator
Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I would say that not following the guidelines  is not wearing it correctly. 

Then look up the definition of "wearing." If I touch my shirt, I'm still wearing a shirt.

If my shirt is on backward, or one of my arms is coming out of the neck hole, then I'm "wearing" the shirt improperly.

Nothing about the design of a mask or how you should place it on your face involves "don't touch it."

What you listed are guidelines for proper mask usage.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Then look up the definition of "wearing." If I touch my shirt, I'm still wearing a shirt.

If my shirt is on backward, or one of my arms is coming out of the neck hole, then I'm "wearing" the shirt improperly.

Nothing about the design of a mask or how you should place it on your face involves "don't touch it."

What you listed are guidelines for proper mask usage.

A shirt is a piece of clothing. A mask is PPE. That is why it doesn't matter how you wear your shirt and it does how you handle your mask that could be saturated with virus particles.

- Shane

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I constantly see people adjusting their mask and not washing or sanitizing. A see a lot of people wearing them on their chin. It is very rare that I see people following these guidelines.

40 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

A shirt is a piece of clothing. A mask is PPE. That is why it doesn't matter how you wear your shirt and it does how you handle your mask that could be saturated with virus particles.

Regarding the incorrect use of masks, you seem to be primarily concerned that people are touching their masks, since this can lead to more virus particles on the hands the other person. (Remember that they've already got the virus, so I suspect they may already have some on their hands--this would just increase the number.)  So here, your concern would be about spread from the other person to you by way of another surface that they touch and that you subsequently touch.

The good news about this is two-fold:

1. They now indicate that the risk of spread in this way is lower than they initially thought.

Spread from touching surfaces is not thought to be a common way that COVID-19 spreads

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

2. Even better, this puts the ball for spread to you completely in your court. [Apologies for using a tennis metaphor in a golf forum] You can prevent it. To get from an object, to infect you, it has to get to your hands, then to your upper respiratory tract (through mouth, nose, eyes).  Even if you touch an item with the virus, if you use a disinfectant wipe or wash your hands, it can be stopped from infecting you.  So keep washing your hands, using wipes, etc., when you're in a location where surface spread may occur.  This should stop any spread from people touching their masks. No need to worry about that.

I'm more concerned about the spread through droplets and airborne transmission.  Contrary to what others above have posted, I see a lot of people not using a mask indoors.  I'd prefer that they were all wearing masks even if they are all constantly adjusting/touching them, especially if it means they're getting a better fit or pulling it over their nose if it slips off.

Touching our faces is hard to stop--it's common.  Put a mask on someone who isn't used to it, and they'll adjust it.  [From time in the OR in a previous life, I can tell you that my nose almost never itches.  Ever. Until I'm masked, scrubbed in, and gowned. Then I feel like I have to scratch my nose.]

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

You still wear masks just like you wear glasses or a hat. Touching glasses isn’t wearing them incorrectly.

12 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I keep a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol in my car and spray the mask down inside and out then let it dry. This is fairly effective. I also wash my cloth masks regularly.

We had a ton of PPE training in my 40+ years. A clean mask, worn correctly goes a long way to preventing microbes from being disbursed. We had to validate this for our clean & sanitation protocols with all our equipment and processes. Validation includes before and after sanitization, then during the process to show PPE is effective.

One thing I do is make sure the fit around my nose is correct. Then I pinch it down with my glasses. If it doesn’t fog my glasses, the fit is correct at the nose. This was part of our PPE training.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I keep a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol in my car and spray the mask down inside and out then let it dry. This is fairly effective. I also wash my cloth masks regularly.

We had a ton of PPE training in my 40+ years. A clean mask, worn correctly goes a long way to preventing microbes from being disbursed. We had to validate this for our clean & sanitation protocols with all our equipment and processes. Validation includes before and after sanitization, then during the process to show PPE is effective.

One thing I do is make sure the fit around my nose is correct. Then I pinch it down with my glasses. If it doesn’t fog my glasses, the fit is correct at the nose. This was part of our PPE training.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

- Shane

4 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

How did you find that gif of me??

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Similar here.

First, I only leave the home once or twice a week.

I have a can of spray disinfectant in my passenger seat.  I always mask when out of the car in public.  When I get back in, I spray both sides of the mask, then hang it from the sunglasses clip on the passenger side visor, along with my back-up mask.

Then I spray the disinfectant on one hand, and rub them together.

It is no more hassle than buckling and unbuckling my seat belt.

Given that we live in two areas inhabited by sizable numbers of irresponsible people, we are very cautious.  We know of many deny-ers who have gotten and spread the virus.  That helicopter ride to the nearest available ICU is probably a PITA.  & ailments have lingered for those we know who got it.

YMMV

Man of the Year in Michigan 

Fact check:  CDC Guidelines

Overview
  • Wear masks with two or more layers to stop the spread of COVID-19
  • Wear the mask over your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
  • Masks should be worn by people two years and older
  • Masks should NOT be worn by children younger than two, people who have trouble breathing, or people who cannot remove the mask without assistance
  • Do NOT wear masks intended for healthcare workers, for example, N95 respirators
  • CDC does not recommend the use of face shields alone. Evaluation of face shields is ongoing but effectiveness is unknown at this time.
  • Evaluation of mask and gaiter materials and structure is ongoing.

How to Wear

Wear a Mask correctly and consistently for the best protection.

• Be sure to wash your hands before putting on a mask
  • Do NOT touch the mask when wearing it

Do wear a mask that

• Covers your nose and mouth and secure it under your chin
  • Fits snugly against the sides of your face

How to take off mask: Carefully, untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops; Handle only by the ear loops or ties; Fold outside corners together; Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing.

I don't see a lot of people wearing masks incorrectly, but I do see a lot of people not wearing a mask incorrectly.

There may have been some confusion about mask-wearing early on, when there was a shortage of PPE, but there is no confusion about mask-wearing now.  

😷

Edited by Ole Duffer

Man of the Year in Michigan 

How did you find that gif of me??

I clicked the GIF button and typed "boogielicious". 😉

I wasn't trying to strike up the whole mask debate... AGAIN. I would say the biggest contributor to the current spread is the Halloween and football parties.

- Shane

On 11/13/2020 at 2:40 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

In Ohio (I'm sure other places too) they are publishing "Percentage of positive tests". Those numbers clearly seem to be way up. 2, 3 or even 4 times what they were a couple months ago. 

I see the same thing in Michigan but my thought is months ago many with mild or no symptoms were not tested and thus never got reported as positive test.  It is clearly on the upswing and the other reasons I listed may be more impactful.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

Nobody is debating whether wearing masks helps.

Here, anyway.

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nobody is debating whether wearing masks helps.

Here, anyway.

Well...

It seems like there is a large group in Michigan that think their rights are being violated and won't wear a mask even though it's now law.    Personally, I'm limiting my exposure to others and wearing a mask when I do venture out. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Well...

It seems like there is a large group in Michigan that think their rights are being violated and won't wear a mask even though it's now law.    Personally, I'm limiting my exposure to others and wearing a mask when I do venture out. 

Is that group posting here? :)