IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

• Administrator
Just now, CarlSpackler said:

How is that going to help? I don’t get it. 

I don’t know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I mean, nobody wants to watch the Steelers. 😜

Yeah, sure. That game was going to have huge ratings. Relatively.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah, sure. That game was going to have huge ratings. Relatively.

True. This just seems like a game that would keep a lot of people home watching TV instead of doing other things. Isn’t that the main goal of social distancing. Maybe I’m wrong. Who knows. 
Side note: Montgomery County, OH has gone purple in the COVID ratings which is the highest level. 

- Shane

I was hoping to watch the Steelers.   I don't understand the logic for allowing Detroit and Dallas to play but not Pittsburg.   I realize the stay at home thing is state to state but isn't the NFL interstate?  I guess I'll have to tune in at 4:30 tomorrow to watch any real football.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

18 hours ago, djake said:

I don't get that thought process "In lieu of national leadership".  At what point in time do States Rights stay in place or as you seam to be insinuating disappear? The regulation of responding to covid should be at the State level as each and every state is different.

While I may or may not agree with how the Governor of my state is handling covid, he is more in tune with the condition of our state then the President no matter who is and will be the President.  And that applies to the 50 individual states.  

No President should ever place a travel ban across this entire country which if ever done then the Constitution is just a document.  Plus I seriously doubt the Executive Order to do such a thing could stand up in Court.  And if struck down in court then that would have a tremendous negative affect on how each could handle stay at home orders as well.

The so called strong leader you maybe looking for, no matter whom that is or will be there holds and Office that stands ready to assist when called upon by an Individual State when feels it has more then it can handle.

Money is usually first, that has been done.  Medical personnel from the Military is next, that has been done BUT the States need to request that first or once again you are breaking the law.

As difficult as this pandemic has been and is there are worse scenario's that can happen.  If we allow this to break down our individual rights and personal freedoms, to break States Rights what is going to happen next time?

Or more importantly, when this pandemic fizzles out and it will, will the individual rights that have been taken be given back?

A strong national leader is one who stands ready to respond when called upon, not one that over reaches 

Well, one of us probably feels better now.

Sorry your guy lost . . . that hurts for awhile.

Happy Thanksgiving.

😷

Since we're running all around, topic-wise, anyone else sense a Steelers/Chiefs showdown?

If the Chiefs played the first 58 minutes like they play the last 2, no one could touch them.

This season may well come down to who can play and who can't.

Edited by Ole Duffer

Man of the Year in Michigan 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Ole Duffer said:

Since we're running all around, topic-wise, anyone else sense a Steelers/Chiefs showdown?

Three things, man:

• Stick to the topic, please.
  • Please add an avatar. You’re beyond 15 posts.
  • Happy Thanksgiving.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Three things, man:

• Stick to the topic, please.

I was trying to . . . Steelers started at Post 715, I think.

😷

Edited by Ole Duffer

5 hours ago, Ole Duffer said:

I was trying to . . . Steelers started at Post 715, I think.

😷

An avatar can be fun and help us recognize your posts quicker.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, iacas said:

A few quick topics…

• I was trying to clarify "wearing" properly because it's important to give credit where due, I think: people wearing (my definition) masks "correctly" deserve credit, particularly when sometimes people don't wear them correctly or at all. If they're using them incorrectly by touching them too often, etc. then that, to me, is a different thing. For example a kid might always play with the mask and touch it more frequently, but they're still doing much more than people who have it under their noses or on their chins or in their cars when they're in the store.
  • I see most people around me wearing and even using masks correctly. I see the occasional below-the-nose thing, but otherwise, it's pretty good. I get upset (only to the point of noticing them and getting mad for five seconds, internally when I see someone not wearing a mask correctly, and back in June this occurred too often, but these days, it's pretty good. I don't see many people wearing masks incorrectly, or using them incorrectly. I also feel like people have found masks they are comfortable with at this point.
  • If it's now an aerosol like we think, how much does masking up actually help? Is the virus caught up in the fibers of the mask because it's larger than air? What's the virus density - or does it glom on to water vapor and float round like that? How much water vapor and viruses escape the sides, bottom, or top of a mask? I'm not saying that even if it's 60% reduction, that's not worth it, but particularly over the long term, how effective are masks? Do have an actual real number on this?
  • Now that we know (I think) that it's aerosolized, do the clear masks, the "face shields," really do much at all? Should everyone be using cloth masks? Are face shields barely any better than not having a mask on at all?
  • How the vaccine is distributed will be interesting.

Touching your mask will have minimal effect. the Virus is rarely transferred by surface contact. Cleaning and washing hands help but is not the major mitigation, masks and social distance are.

Wearing masks is the first thing, next is wearing an effective mask (neck gators don't work well, nor do bandanas or single layer cloth masks)

The virus as a particle is extremely small (0.1 micron) but that is not the concern. The concern is droplets which are 1-10 microns. Most of the droplets are captured by masks. Face shields protect the wearer to some degree but have minimal benefit for everyone else, similar to the valve masks.

One study I read had transmission between a known infected person and unaffected without masks <6' for 15 min without masks at 17%, if the affected person is masked it was 3% and if both were masked it was 0.5%. Not sure how those numbers were calculated. But as you point out, a properly fit mask makes a big difference.

In the US vaccine distribution is likely to be a state by state process. Most experts agree that distributing the vaccine to front line health care workers is 1st priority to support the medical care system. Many agree that essential workers should be next followed by at risk individuals and finally healthy adults. But there are a ton of possible paths.

3 minutes ago, criley4way said:

One study I read had transmission between a known infected person and unaffected without masks <6' for 15 min without masks at 17%, if the affected person is masked it was 3% and if both were masked it was 0.5%. Not sure how those numbers were calculated. But as you point out, a properly fit mask makes a big difference.

It probably has to do with testing how much passes through the mask. Then you know what viral load you need to get infected. That probably has a probability curve. So you can then look at that probability curve and find a percent chance of catching the virus. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

It probably has to do with testing how much passes through the mask. Then you know what viral load you need to get infected. That probably has a probability curve. So you can then look at that probability curve and find a percent chance of catching the virus. 

The viral inoculation load is a key gap in our knowledge base for testing and policy. I struggle with test interpretation not knowing at what level a test should be positive since the question is not if the virus is present but rather: A. if the illness is caused by COVID-19 and if the person is infectious. Something I think about daily. 

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:

An avatar can be fun and help us recognize your posts quicker.

Does anyone else have this one, an "O"?

Are we past the point of thinking that gathering in large groups, in close proximity, and not wearing masks, is not unsafe?

Or talking to a total stranger, face-to-face, unmasked is not unsafe?

Edited by Ole Duffer

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Ole Duffer said:

Does anyone else have this one, an "O"?

Yes.

And it’s a forum rule. One will be chosen for you now.

I have been watching crowds at football games on TV, to see how responsible/irresponsible different ones are.  The Texas A&M one this past weekend was totally inappropriate during a Super Pandemic, equaled only by the Notre Dame crowd for the Clemson game.

There have been some very interesting and entertaining crowd choices for college games, attesting to American creativity. 

There obviously is a market for made-for-TV non-spectator spectator sports.

It's a shame that the NFL boycotters of recent years are not able to boycott the NFL, not that their boycott affected anything previously. 

Those sports/teams that have chosen to continue on during a Super Pandemic just have to deal with it.  It was their choice.

Overall, professional sports have made a valiant attempt to deal with and reflect the turbulent time.  Some college sports, too.

Both my college and professional teams are doing well, making it almost worth the 50-year wait.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Edited by Ole Duffer

9 minutes ago, Ole Duffer said:

Those sports/teams that have chosen to continue on during a Super Pandemic just have to deal with it.  It was their choice.

With the amount of revenue those TV contracts generate it was never a question that they'd try to play as many games as possible even if the stadiums are empty. It has been really interesting (if particularly frustrating as an Ohio State fan) to see how the various college football conferences have handled or mishandled things. You are right. I have been surprised at some of the crowding that has been permitted at certain places and certain times.

Then again, the brain rust here In Troy, OH flooded downtown with people for the Christmas tree lighting. Saw this picture this morning and was just shocked. 

127017120_10157627495638314_580314526579

• Administrator
f6f720d7-27d5-454b-b37e-aba4ee29b851

Moderna announced that it plans to submit its request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for an Emergency Use Authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine, mRNA-1273.

Has there been a super-spreader type event that was held outside?

43 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

With the amount of revenue those TV contracts generate it was never a question that they'd try to play as many games as possible even if the stadiums are empty. It has been really interesting (if particularly frustrating as an Ohio State fan) to see how the various college football conferences have handled or mishandled things. You are right. I have been surprised at some of the crowding that has been permitted at certain places and certain times.

Then again, the brain rust here In Troy, OH flooded downtown with people for the Christmas tree lighting. Saw this picture this morning and was just shocked. 

127017120_10157627495638314_580314526579

Social distancing at its best!  The vaccine can't come soon enough...