IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

2 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Random Coronavirus thoughts...

Are we going to do all of this again when the 2nd (mutated) strain of coronavirus (COVID-20?) starts spreading? What about the 3rd... Is this the new normal?

I'm tired of hearing commercials stating that "We are in this together." We should be in this separately, right? Too literal?

If I am going to get COVID-19, assuming that I haven't already, I would rather get it now and get it over with.

Are you aware that there is no cure?

We are "in it together" because we all have to play a part. Unless of course you live somewhere (i'm trying to keep politics out of it) where the Governor discovered yesterday that the virus is transferable from asympomatic people. Stunningly unbelievable.

Are you aware that for many "getting it over with" means that they die?

And you may survive but pass it on to someone who will not.

A lot of people still don't seem to be getting the message that the "inconvenience", for want of a better term and financial and economic destruction are, at the moment secondary considerations.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Michigan Governor has threatened $1k fines and/or 90 days in jail for disobeying the social distancing edict.

A guy in my Meet-up group saw several people out golfing today with the golf courses closed.    UGH!

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

A guy in my Meet-up group saw several people out golfing today with the golf courses closed.    UGH!

These are the people who will ruin it for everyone.

Golf can safely be played in twos with modifications like no rakes and groups of two etc. 

Given that some people think that golf is an elitist sport, the types you mention will cause the authorities to take a hard line, because it is such a bad look when others are confining themselves.

The major of our town closed all of the playground equipment because they couldn't keep people/kids from using it.   The parks are open for walking but the equipment has been locked down.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@leftybutnotPM. You took my post WAY too seriously. I am following all the guidelines, etc. of my state and will continue to until they change. I have been the biggest champion of social distancing at my company which is deemed essential.

With that being said, there is a cure. It's called antibodies that are made in our own bodies. I found the articles that @iacas shared very interesting, especially the one on herd immunity. I also found the one about certain blood types being more resistant intriguing. I've said before that we are pretty sure that this virus made it through my house back in January. The symptoms we all experienced were spot on COVID-19. My daughter did not, but she is an O blood type. The rest of us are A types.

I understand that I could die, and I am ready to go if that is my end. Bear in mind that most of us are going to catch this at some point. These measures are not meant to stop the spread, only to slow it down so that hospitals are not overwhelmed where they have to decide who to treat and who to let go.

- Shane

• Administrator

Gonna play devil's advocate a little… My position on this is firmly in the middle. I reject extremist views.

33 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Are you aware that there is no cure?

There's no cure for the flu, either.

Are you aware that for many "getting it over with" means that they die?

Are you aware that many of those people who die would have done so within the next six months anyway?

And you may survive but pass it on to someone who will not.

That's how herd immunity works.

A lot of people still don't seem to be getting the message that the "inconvenience", for want of a better term and financial and economic destruction are, at the moment secondary considerations.

When do they stop becoming secondary considerations? When does the financial ruin of X million Americans and businesses mean more than the death of x thousand Americans, maybe half of which were six months or less from death anyway?

26 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Golf can safely be played in twos with modifications like no rakes and groups of two etc.

Why in twos but not threes?

26 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Given that some people think that golf is an elitist sport, the types you mention will cause the authorities to take a hard line, because it is such a bad look when others are confining themselves.

Oh stop. It's walking outside, millions of people are doing it.

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I understand that I could die, and I am ready to go if that is my end. Bear in mind that most of us are going to catch this at some point. These measures are not meant to stop the spread, only to slow it down so that hospitals are not overwhelmed where they have to decide who to treat and who to let go.

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The Michigan Governor has threatened $1k fines and/or 90 days in jail for disobeying the social distancing edict.

When cockroaches are the only thing roaming the earth, there will still be a few golfers out playing...

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh stop. It's walking outside, millions of people are doing it.

You read my post and think that that is MY position? My point is that people DON"T see the point that you AND I are making, that being that it is just walking and will respond with a knee jerk reaction.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, leftybutnotPM said:

You read my post and think that that is MY position? My point is that people DON"T see the point that you AND I are making, that being that it is just walking and will respond with a knee jerk reaction.

The "elitist" angle is dumb. It's not anywhere near as true everywhere as it once was, and in some locations, it's a joke how untrue it is.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

The "elitist" angle is dumb. It's not anywhere near as true everywhere as it once was, and in some locations, it's a joke how untrue it is.

Totally agree.  Unfortunately, the bottom line is how Governors and state scientists feel about it.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

This was in the news today. I would like to see this be widely done. I think (hope) that we would find out that more people have survived this than they realize. I would be glad to do this as a self-presumptive survivor and offer up my plasma to treat others battling COVID-19. I'm sure many others would as well.

gettyimages-1212775374web.jpg?cx=0&cy=18

Testing for antibodies could help us figure out who is immune and who is not. Here's how it works.

- Shane

12 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When cockroaches are the only thing roaming the earth, there will still be a few golfers out playing...

And Keith Richards.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 3/31/2020 at 3:45 PM, DrvFrShow said:

This is the beginning of this. Right now people are handling this lockdown stuff pretty well, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm worried about when people are going to start acting squirrelly. Domestic abuse cases are already on the rise.

And I am worried about what happens when people run out of money and food and the ban on evictions/repossessions ends.

Butch

On 4/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, iacas said:
49661908063_9a9fe00a10_b.jpg

What the media and policymakers are not telling us is that the longer we delay the development of herd immunity...

This article is dangerous in propagating misinformation.

Seems like they are misinterpreting what the term "herd immunity" actually means.  It does NOT mean those without immunity are protected simply because a majority of the herd has immunity.

It ("herd immunity")) simply means the rate of transmission is significantly reduced because those with immunity fights off any infection and does NOT transmit the virus.  Therefore, the ones without immunity is less likely to get infected as the virus transmission is significantly reduced.

The term has nothing to do with having "protection".  It refers to a reduction of transmission.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

@Yukari, you're reading it wrong. If someone's chances of getting a pathogen are greatly reduced, that's a form of "protection" against the pathogen.

It doesn't have to be 100% effective to qualify as "protection." You can wear eye protection, but that doesn't guarantee nothing will damage your eyes.

20200309awUPMC10-1586052248.jpg

UPMC is developing an immunity test that could allow those with antibodies against COVID-19 to safely return to a normal routine.  

• Administrator