IGNORED

Retirement Spots

Effington
Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Approaching retirement in a few years and wondering where a good retirement location to move to with good access to reasonably priced golf courses would be.  

Other hobbies include motorcycle riding, hunting, fishing.  Retired Army.  I prefer forest over desert.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

Approaching retirement in a few years and wondering where a good retirement location to move to with good access to reasonably priced golf courses would be.  

Other hobbies include motorcycle riding, hunting, fishing.  Retired Army.  I prefer forest over desert.

Greg, I've merged your new thread with this slightly older one, you may find some good advice here.  I'm in the same boat, and looking very closely at the Pinehurst, NC area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

@DaveP043  -  That'll work great...  Thank you...

• Like 1

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

1 hour ago, IowaGreg said:

Florida. Hands down.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Florida. Hands down.

This place?

54B63173-350C-4599-809B-7CDD1BE11019.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

53 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Greg, I've merged your new thread with this slightly older one, you may find some good advice here.  I'm in the same boat, and looking very closely at the Pinehurst, NC area.

Crap, I found the right place.......  But 4 years from retirement......  Cannot afford it yet....... maybe you would like it.......
$254,900   4 bd4 ba  2,145 sqft  78 Traceway, Sanford, NC 27332

On one of the Fairways at Carolina Trace country Club in Sanford NC.   

Like 40 Courses in that area....   

We are looking at Hilton Head right now.  Very pricey but both the wife and I really like the area and seems to tick all the boxes we have.  Still 10 years or so to go until we'd consider living there with any regularity but we've started scouting areas we'd be interested in long-term.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Dave....perhaps you know already that real estate here in Pinehurst is skyrocketing at the moment.  Homes are becoming scarce.  The USGA’s announcement of a 2nd home has sparked that.

US-Amateur-John-Patota-SHS.jpg

In what can be seen as a significant economic impact to the Sandhills, the United States Golf Association will move parts of its operations to Pinehurst beginning in 2023.

Also the improvements we are seeing here almost daily will spike demand.

Then theirs the hotel plan: https://sandhillssentinel.com/new-resort-hotel-plans-made-possible-with-village-incentives/

Lots are also be snatched up quickly!

Edited by Sandy Lie

49 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Florida. Hands down.

Not to argue, I know a number of people who have retired to FL very happily.  But for some people it doesn't work so well.  The Carolinas are full of "halfbacks", the folks who retired to Florida for a few years, and ended up moving halfway back to where they started.  

2 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Dave....perhaps you know already that real estate free in Pinehurst is skyrocketing at the moment.  Homes are becoming scarce.  The USGA’s announcement of a 2nd home has sparked that.

Yeah, we may have missed the sweet spot for property values.  On the other hand, we don't need to be in a hurry, we'll find something we like, and it'll still be a LOT less expensive than our home in the DC suburbs

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Not to argue, I know a number of people who have retired to FL very happily.  But for some people it doesn't work so well.  The Carolinas are full of "halfbacks", the folks who retired to Florida for a few years, and ended up moving halfway back to where they started.  

Yeah, we may have missed the sweet spot for property values.  On the other hand, we don't need to be in a hurry, we'll find something we like, and it'll still be a LOT less expensive than our home in the DC suburbs

I have a few years to retirement but have started looking already.  I could do Pinehurst, but  when I retire, I don't think I want to mess with any cold weather.  And I would prefer a gated golf community, with few members.  

So, Naples Florida is my number 1 choice right now.  

Palm Beach/Port St. Lucie/Palm City, FL area. 

Bluffton (Oakatie SC) - Some really nice golf communities (Belfair, Colleton River, Berkely Hall, Old Tabby Links).  Planning a trip to here and Savannah in April possibly.

Savannah GA (Savannah Landings).

And then a couple places away from the ocean but still look nice.

The Cliffs - Keowee Springs, Keowee Vineyard and Keowee Falls outside of Greenville SC look amazing.  Plus would be close enough to play more golf with @coachjimsc

And then a hidden gem would be Grand Harbor in Ninety-Six SC, the golf course there was fantastic., real estate isn't outrageous. Plus would be close enough to play more golf with @coachjimsc

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

The Cliffs - Keowee Springs, Keowee Vineyard and Keowee Falls outside of Greenville SC look amazing.  Plus would be close enough to play more golf with @coachjimsc

@jsgolfer if you end up retiring at one of the Keowee properties, you will get sick of seeing and playing golf with me. 😉🏌️‍♂️

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

The Triad ( Greensboro, Winston-Salem & High Point) has good, reasonably priced golf, decently priced real estate, and fantastic medical care. An easy drive to Pinehurst and the mountains. The winters are not bad. There are not many days you can't play. 

Bellaire MI. World class fishing, great hunting, and a multitude of golf opportunities on some stunningly beautiful courses. You may want to add snowmobiling to your list of hobbies though.. And 4WD is a must.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, coachjimsc said:

@jsgolfer if you end up retiring at one of the Keowee properties, you will get sick of seeing and playing golf with me. 😉🏌️‍♂️

Never.  :beer:

• Like 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

San Diego or the island of Kauai.  You can golf almost everyday.  San Diego has reasonable priced golf courses.  How about Torrey Pines for $32, resident senior rate.  Kauai, not sure about the reasonable priced courses.

Hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding... yep, San Diego.  You'll have to take a road trip out of the city for the hunting though.

San Diego average temperatures, pretty close to room temperature all year, at least midday.

Month Low High
Jan 49.7°F 65.8°F
Feb 51.5°F 66.3°F
Mar 53.6°F 66.3°F
Apr 56.4°F 68.7°F
May 59.8°F 69.3°F
Jun 62.6°F 72.2°F
Jul 65.9°F 75.8°F
Aug 67.4°F 77.5°F
Sept 66.1°F 77.0°F
Oct 61.2°F 74.0°F
Nov 53.6°F 69.9°F
Dec 48.9°F 66.3°F

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

San Diego or the island of Kauai.  You can golf almost everyday.  San Diego has reasonable priced golf courses.  How about Torrey Pines for $32, resident senior rate.  Kauai, not sure about the reasonable priced courses.

Hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding... yep, San Diego.  You'll have to take a road trip out of the city for the hunting though.

San Diego average temperatures, pretty close to room temperature all year, at least midday.

San Diego's weather is amazing, but where can you live for under a million dollars?

• Like 1

@Effington, might not fill all your squares, but consider looking at northwest Arkansas. (e.g., Fayetteville, Rogers, Bella Vista)

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 1196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!