Jump to content
IGNORED

Golf Fitness: Back Exercises to Improve Power


Recommended Posts

  • iacas changed the title to Golf Fitness: Back Exercises to Improve Power
  • 1 month later...

Dumbbell Power Clean and press. This exercise is titled "The Athlete's" exercise. I perform 4x8-10 reps, 3 times a week. Heavy, medium, and light. Heavy set is with 60lb dumbbells, light day is with 25-30 lbs, and medium day is 40-45 lbs. My goal is to do my heavy set with 70 lb dumbbells in six week. 

I have had golfers mentioned to me that I have lots of power and strength for a 5'7" 188lb 60 year old. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, kenhockey2 said:

Dumbbell Power Clean and press. This exercise is titled "The Athlete's" exercise. I perform 4x8-10 reps, 3 times a week. Heavy, medium, and light. Heavy set is with 60lb dumbbells, light day is with 25-30 lbs, and medium day is 40-45 lbs. My goal is to do my heavy set with 70 lb dumbbells in six week. 

I have had golfers mentioned to me that I have lots of power and strength for a 5'7" 188lb 60 year old. 

Makes all the difference.  Keep it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 48 and am hitting the ball farther than I ever have - 270+ yard drive yesterday when I used to be 220 - and regularly longer than my buddies. I attribute it all to strength training. I'm not a muscle guy, and have 20lbs of excess fat to shed, but the combination of squats, deadlifts, bench presses and power cleans/row/chin ups is making a big difference. StartingStrength.com makes a great case for this, especially for those of us over 40. The key is progressive increases in weight. Lifting the same weight over time does not increase strength.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, smsparks said:

I'm 48 and am hitting the ball farther than I ever have - 270+ yard drive yesterday when I used to be 220 - and regularly longer than my buddies. I attribute it all to strength training. I'm not a muscle guy, and have 20lbs of excess fat to shed, but the combination of squats, deadlifts, bench presses and power cleans/row/chin ups is making a big difference. StartingStrength.com makes a great case for this, especially for those of us over 40. The key is progressive increases in weight. Lifting the same weight over time does not increase strength.

That’s awesome. Now...is the 270yds your average now? From 220yds? Or was 220yds your previous best and now it’s 270yds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/12/2020 at 1:26 PM, Vinsk said:

That’s awesome. Now...is the 270yds your average now? From 220yds? Or was 220yds your previous best and now it’s 270yds?

I wish! No, 270 isn't my average, I don't actually track my driving distance formally but I'd estimate 240-ish is average now. I know I am much longer than in past years, with less effort and out drive my buddies where I didn't in past. I'm driver, short iron/wedge a lot more often now.

Also, strength training is similar to golf in that you are competing with yourself to do just a little better. It doesn't matter the weight on the bar so much as seeing it increase over time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, smsparks said:

I wish! No, 270 isn't my average, I don't actually track my driving distance formally but I'd estimate 240-ish is average now. I know I am much longer than in past years, with less effort and out drive my buddies where I didn't in past. I'm driver, short iron/wedge a lot more often now.

Also, strength training is similar to golf in that you are competing with yourself to do just a little better. It doesn't matter the weight on the bar so much as seeing it increase over time. 

That’s about how it is for me. I really need to do some speed training. Bad injury last Thanksgiving time but I’m all healed up for the most part. I average about 240 but on occasion I’ll hit one 270+. I swing Jim Venetos style so I’m limited despite what he claims. But I could still get better lower body action on the downswing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

The video was instructive but mostly about flexibility. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want more "power", you need to do resistance exercises.

Now that my knees are over 60 and deep squats are too painful, my favourite is the barbell dead lift. I note that Rory prefers trap bar dead lift to squats. I strongly recommend getting at least 1 professional lesson on dead lifting to ensure you use proper form and avoid hurting your back.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2020 at 5:51 AM, Sclaffer said:

The video was instructive but mostly about flexibility. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want more "power", you need to do resistance exercises.

Now that my knees are over 60 and deep squats are too painful, my favourite is the barbell dead lift. I note that Rory prefers trap bar dead lift to squats. I strongly recommend getting at least 1 professional lesson on dead lifting to ensure you use proper form and avoid hurting your back.    

I agree resistance exercises are great! But let’s not confuse a knee dominant exercise with a hinge. Squats (any variation) and deadlift (again any variation) should be included in any program. Start light, work on form, perfect it and then the weight will increase. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Many, many years ago, I cut my left pinkie at work.  I didn't think it was anything serious, no real pain.   I was headed on vacation the next day.   Two week later and I still couldn't straighten the finger.   The tendon had been cut.   Because it happened at work it was a Workman Comp claim and I heard all kinds of crap from the boss and the medical department.   The shop doctor tried to convince me that I was too  old (26) to have the surgery and the finger would be fine since I wasn't in any pain.    I had the surgery and they placed a pin in my finger from the middle knuckle to a little past my nail.   It was irritating but not painful until they removed the pin w/o any anesthesia.     The hard part was the PT.   I didn't have any and worked with the finger myself.   Arthritis has caught up to some of my fingers but still vividly remember the PT.    
    • https://michigangolfjournal.com/2021/March/  
    • Day 430 - March 3, 2021 Played 18 holes at Lonnie Poole Golf Course (NC State's course). Played from 6950 even though we got NO roll. Raleigh isn't sandy like Pinehurst. 😄
    • Day 59 - Frustrating day of practice. A bunch of swings, slow and full speed, trying to open my hips enough during the backswing. Each time I seem to get it, something else seems to go wrong. Golf, gotta love it.
    • I think this would just make a better poll question because it would depend on the field between Euro/LPGA as well as the tournament. I’d rather watch the LPGA if there was some news story...a young phenom playing for example. But I’d watch a Euro tourney with all the top Euros over any basic LPGA tournament. No interest in the Korn Ferry.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Alex Bret
      Alex Bret
      (31 years old)
    2. Byeinstein
      Byeinstein
      (36 years old)
    3. casparlee
      casparlee
      (31 years old)
    4. ClubPro28
      ClubPro28
      (41 years old)
    5. Gregglink
      Gregglink
      (47 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...