IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Day 4, for me I didn't need much bowing of the left wrist in transition. On a side note, I lost that golf ball I hit. It went slightly left into the weeds.. LOL

What I did was I broke up the video, took a look at it to make sure I wasn't doing something wonky and then continued on with the drills. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Day 4, for me I didn't need much bowing of the left wrist in transition.

Cuz it's kinda arched at A4. Get a little cupping in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cuz it's kinda arched at A4. Get a little cupping in there.

Yea, I see that. Looks like I was getting the A1 to A2 from Day 1. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, I see that. Looks like I was getting the A1 to A2 from Day 1. 

Which might mean Day 1 wasn't done all that well. 😉 The left wrist condition doesn't really change much from A1 to A2. It merely hinges.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Which might mean Day 1 wasn't done all that well. 😉 The left wrist condition doesn't really change much from A1 to A2. It merely hinges.

time to review day 1 more often then. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Day 4 complete. Man!!! Between the trail elbow angle at the top yesterday and when to do palmar flexion today, my eyes have been opened to what I have been doing. I’ve been going about in-line impact wrong. And now a few things that my teacher has been trying to relay make sense...he has just been explaining it a bit differently. Day 4 and I’ve already had two wow moments (maybe I knew the elbow angle before but just realized my angle was off again). I cannot wait to finish out these sessions. 

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Day 4: No video but a couple stills. Had a hard time getting a good look with the camera. 

A1: I have a strong left hand grip, but I still play a fade.

559884446_ScreenShot2020-04-04at7_30_30PM.png.82e8d8e67270548a10d97b975e68750f.png

A4: Top of the backswing a little cupped but didn't seem too bad. It's hard to see with the camera position, but I had a mirror in another room.

504085181_ScreenShot2020-04-04at7_35_29PM.png.2014bbab205114aa4251c688cbc4b6b7.png

A6: Seems like a good position? Thoughts?

2052881774_ScreenShot2020-04-04at7_31_25PM.png.530a9c468a3ba144babf36836279e3f9.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator

For a fade, sure. Tomorrow's drill may not be quite as easy for you. Not all drills are "great" for everyone, but everyone can learn things about themselves if they do the drills.

Checked my grip, which is pretty neutral as I’ve battled hooks, especially with driver and my instructor has been working on getting me to a more neutral grip, as opposed to my old super strong grip. I tend to revert to strong grip if I don’t check at setup.

My wrist is slightly cupped at the top with toe angled down a bit

I struggled a lot with palmar flexion when it was first described to me by my instructor. I’ve gotten the hang of it in the last year, and for me the feeling is like slightly revving a throttle. I also used a training aid from Tourstriker that helped with the transition from extension to flexion, forget what it was called but it was helpful for me. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Really liked this session. I have never really understood this stuff, despite being asked to it by my instructors a couple of times. Never got a good feeling for it at all. Watching this video and doing the drills really helped with that a lot. Now I have a good starting point if I'm going to need focus on this in the future again. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

For a fade, sure. Tomorrow's drill may not be quite as easy for you. Not all drills are "great" for everyone, but everyone can learn things about themselves if they do the drills.

I have a pretty "home grown" swing. Some traditional things I do not do all that well, but it works for me most of the time. That being said I like the drills because it helps my understanding of the golf swing in general. I have enjoyed everything so far.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Okay, I think I did day 4, but for my A6 I don't know if I did it right.  I think I need more time to mentally process this.  And then I notice that, if I'm looking at these correctly, I have pretty much the opposite A6 as @NM Golf which I'm not sure if I should be worried.

I know the camera angle isn't ideal, and neither is the box the camera is sitting on.  I'm going to dig up my tripod tomorrow.  By the end of this I might even take competent video indoors.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just now, Shindig said:

I have pretty much the opposite A6 as @NM Golf which I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Like I tell people, I am pretty good, but I don't think anyone should go and try to emulate my swing. 

Yay, I just finished Day 4, this morning. I fell a little behind. Looking forward to Day 5.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I’ve gotten the hang of it in the last year, and for me the feeling is like slightly revving a throttle.

Feels work differently for different people. I overdo it and end up hooding the club face if I feel left hand flexion or right hand extension via throttle revving. For my swing, I feel that my club head is tipping back and laying off a bit and that gets my hands to do what they’re supposed to do.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Feels work differently for different people. I overdo it and end up hooding the club face if I feel left hand flexion or right hand extension via throttle revving. For my swing, I feel that my club head is tipping back and laying off a bit and that gets my hands to do what they’re supposed to do.

Good point. I feel it more in my left index finger as if I press down. This flattens the shaft at transition and helps me swing out a bit more from the top. If I throttle, I tend to swing more down and then can hook it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 5 – Delivering the Clubhead

As golfers, we’re aware of the fact that we hit the ball with the clubhead. This can cause problems, however, if the hands become overly active and we end up throwing the clubhead, our hands, or our arms at the ball, instead of using our body — our core — to help deliver the clubhead to the ball. Today’s drill is a simple one, but it’s one that can help you feel a better impact position and fix:

• flipping the clubhead at the ball.
  • hands rolling over quickly in the early follow-through.
  • your chest and hips remaining too square to the ball through impact.
  • loss of speed and power by the core/hips stalling out.

The drills for today include:

• 1:00 – Review yesterday’s lesson to ensure you’re in a good place at A6.
  • 5:00 – Swing to A6, make a small “pump” move, hit the ball with a good pivot forward, and slam on the brakes. Check your positioning.

The "check your positioning" means you should see:

• Arms extended (not bent).
  • Armpits somewhat off your ribs (no dragging the hands WAY left).
  • The leading edge of the club at about 30-35° or so, roughly matching your inclination.
  • No flipping or rolling of the hands, wrists, or forearms.
  • Chest and hips facing toward or even left of the target.
  • Lead leg extended, back foot just barely on the toes.

Video:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Shindig said:

Okay, I think I did day 4, but for my A6 I don't know if I did it right.  I think I need more time to mentally process this.  And then I notice that, if I'm looking at these correctly, I have pretty much the opposite A6 as @NM Golf which I'm not sure if I should be worried.

image.png

I don't know what's going on here. your club face is laying WIDE open on the red line, when it should be about 70° closed to that (green line).

I'd spend a long time looking at your grip and figuring out just what in the heck is going on here. It's going to be nearly impossible to play good golf from that position.

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yes, and this drill teaches each person — hopefully — what they might need to feel, as well as introduces some people who have never felt palmar flexion to feel and see that.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!