IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Day 20

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For anyone that did Day 19, make sure you aren't pulling the band with your arm.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:41 AM, Nail said:

In MvMac’s thread how to draw the ball and how to hit driver, both threads encourage a backswing where the lead hip doesn’t move back?

I’m a little confused. 

Hi @Nail, want to point out a couple things:

- In the "How to Draw the Golf Ball" thread I do say that I'm demonstrating all the draw pieces, so the look will be very draw-bias.

On 9/12/2014 at 9:15 AM, mvmac said:

Draw List

Here's the list of all the draw pieces I'm implementing in the pics/video. Just like with the slice list above, you don't need to implement all these pieces in order to draw it/fade it. I would start with the set-up stuff, it doesn't take any skill to have a good grip and address the ball correctly :-)

- "or How to Stop Slicing" is in the title of the thread as is the bit below. So it's more focused on helping players who have never hit an outward-path draw (not a pull-draw), basically players that consistently hit a pull-slice or pull-fade. Different goal/priorities than what @iacas is doing with the daily drills to train some dynamic motion and awareness. 

On 9/12/2014 at 9:15 AM, mvmac said:

I wanted to put this thread together to help players that have never hit a draw or players that want to reduce the amount they slice/fade it.

In the Centered Hips thread I think I show that McIlroy moves a bit right but "re-centers" by the end of the backswing.

Sharing something I posted on IG that fits in with some of the drills in the thread. Can see Watson move a couple inches right before he swings the club back.

• Like 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Caught up today with day 19 and 20.

I have done both of these drills previously with my instructor over the winter so they felt very natural, especially the band one, but it was good to do it some more, I had forgotten what that felt like lately, especially with my driver swing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Day 19 and 20 drills. Did Day 19 correctly this time. I also did the other side as @billchao. That side is a bit weaker. This was a nice warm up too. I did it too fast to start, so I repeated.

Day 20 was informative. I have been working on A4 position for a while now.

Nice setup. Do you have a tracking programme on your iPad ?

Good drill for me, I know if I start the swing with my arms as it hurts my left arm. 

24 minutes ago, Sammydreep said:

Nice setup. Do you have a tracking programme on your iPad ?

Good drill for me, I know if I start the swing with my arms as it hurts my left arm. 

It’s an app for the iPhone and iPad, MirrorVision. It works really well. $25 per year. I use it all the time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Did this drill today. Unfortunately, didn't have a great place to film this, so no film. The drill went fine, I think. I never hit the wall. I was a few inches away, but never actually hit it. Maybe that means I have a good amount of depth already, I suppose.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 20

Wow, 2/3 through April already.

I liked the day 20 drills. Basically anything I can use to help with backswing is super helpful because I tend to get sloppy with backswing.

I found a wedge to be a bit heavy for my left arm (I must have a wimpy left shoulder), and since I was doing a superspeed session today too, I used the green stick for the one armed stuff. Guess I need to start doing pull-ups with the rings I installed in my garage at the beginning of the shelter in place mandate 5 weeks ago when I was going to start getting in better shape.

After a few reps I didn’t have any trouble not hitting the net, so I suppose that’s good. I liked how the feeling of the one arm motion translated to a real backswing. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 21 - Low Point Control

Low point control is essential in golf – we’ve all heard the phrase “hit the little ball before the big ball.” Today’s drill gives you a way to check this essential skill for yourself: to see if you can truly control your low point and make ball-first contact. Are you up for it?

The drills for today:

• 1:00 – Chipping setup, no ball, miss the towel
  • 2:00 – Add a ball, hit chip shots
  • 2:00 – Medium length mid-iron swings, no ball
  • 3:00 – Medium length mid-iron swings, add a ball

Video:

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Great drill for today. Wind was my only technical issue. Had to switch to a heavier towel. This would be a good one for the range too. Sorry it’s a bit long. The middle section I am hitting punch 7 irons. The last were more full swings.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 hours ago, mvmac said:

For anyone that did Day 19, make sure you aren't pulling the band with your arm.

Hi @Nail, want to point out a couple things:

- In the "How to Draw the Golf Ball" thread I do say that I'm demonstrating all the draw pieces, so the look will be very draw-bias.

- "or How to Stop Slicing" is in the title of the thread as is the bit below. So it's more focused on helping players who have never hit an outward-path draw (not a pull-draw), basically players that consistently hit a pull-slice or pull-fade. Different goal/priorities than what @iacas is doing with the daily drills to train some dynamic motion and awareness. 

In the Centered Hips thread I think I show that McIlroy moves a bit right but "re-centers" by the end of the backswing.

Sharing something I posted on IG that fits in with some of the drills in the thread. Can see Watson move a couple inches right before he swings the club back.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I understand now, thanks to Erik and yourself. 

Day 21. I hit the towel a couple of times chipping but all in all I was quite happy as someone who hits a lot of fat shots. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Completed day 20 & 21, other than the medium length swings with a ball as I can't do it inside.

Adding day 20 drills with what I have been focusing on I think will also help me a lot, but I noticed with this drill, as I do with my normal swing, my left elbow starts to bend as I get towards the top of the swing, if I don't stop my backswing shortly after this point I'll end up looking like John Daly's backswing.  I am working on a slower backswing to help fight this, which seems to be working most of the time. 

@iacas I'm not sure if there is an answer, and I think there are probably examples of both, but is it better to shorten the backswing by stopping at the point the left elbow bends or to allow maybe a little bend to have a longer backswing.  I definitely can't get all the way to the top with the club parallel to the ground without my left elbow bending, but I think it puts my trail arm to far behind my body.  My initial answer is to focus on the left arm not bending?

Gus
---------------

Day 21:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, JGus said:

Completed day 20 & 21, other than the medium length swings with a ball as I can't do it inside.

Adding day 20 drills with what I have been focusing on I think will also help me a lot, but I noticed with this drill, as I do with my normal swing, my left elbow starts to bend as I get towards the top of the swing, if I don't stop my backswing shortly after this point I'll end up looking like John Daly's backswing.  I am working on a slower backswing to help fight this, which seems to be working most of the time. 

@iacas I'm not sure if there is an answer, and I think there are probably examples of both, but is it better to shorten the backswing by stopping at the point the left elbow bends or to allow maybe a little bend to have a longer backswing.  I definitely can't get all the way to the top with the club parallel to the ground without my left elbow bending, but I think it puts my trail arm to far behind my body.  My initial answer is to focus on the left arm not bending?

Why do you want the club parallel to the ground? Very few tour pros get their irons parallel to the ground from what I’ve seen. 

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Day 21:

Hey Bill... I see your Weber there in the background.  Just polished mine up yesterday and bought a new grate for it.  Will be BBQ'ing by the weekend!  Somehow BBQ'ing did not make the "non-essential" list in my state.

Did the day 21 drills, no video, wind blew over the cheap flimsy tripod twice. Had to wrap the towel under the hitting mat too so it wouldnt blow away. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

16 minutes ago, Nail said:

Why do you want the club parallel to the ground? Very few tour pros get their irons parallel to the ground from what I’ve seen. 

Not saying I want it parallel, I was just using it as an example of my left arm having to bend to get there.  I have worked on shorting my swing but even with a shorter swing my left arm still bends and gets me into trouble.  I struggled trying to figure out how to ask my question, it really comes down to do I keep my backswing very short with not bending my elbow, or allow it to get longer knowing my left arm bends.  Probably still not asking/stating it correctly...

Gus
---------------

Note: This thread is 773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!