IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Day 22 - Windy and cold today so I painted woodwork for 5 hours! Ah, retirement. I did this in my basement. I used a hammer and sledge for weights because, well, I am THOR after all! I used a wooden rail for the pool noodle.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 22- no video today as it wasn’t really action-packed. I felt more uncomfortable with the drill than I had expected watching Erik’s video. Erik likes throwing a noodle underfoot to humble me! I would not have expected to feel as awkward as it did. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 22, did this as my warmup before hitting balls at the range. Felt pretty comfortable.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Day 22

I used a weighted club for the first phase of this, and then a couple of ten pound kettlebells for the weighted phase. It took me a while to get my balance on the pool noodle, and it really gave me a calf workout.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Drill felt pretty good, although the pool noodle part of it was way harder than I expected. No video today though.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 22

Liked the pool noodle part (used 1.5” pvc pipe) from this set. Sometimes I get too far into the toes, so this was a good way to feel where the right balance point is. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 23 – Pre-Shot and Post-Shot Routine

The pre-shot routine is essential in creating comfort and familiarity, particularly when faced with a difficult shot. It is a way of telling yourself “I’ve done this a thousand times before.” Bad golfers tend to have a poor pre-shot routine: it’s inconsistent in both the timing and the motions or actions. It lacks a purpose. Today we’ll build you a good pre-shot routine.

Additionally, we talk about what I include in a post-shot routine, or a post-shot analysis. I like to have my students assess four things: contact, distance, flight, and start line. Why? So they can recognize patterns and make subtle adjustments on the golf course.

Your tasks for today:

• 4:00 – Film your pre-shot routine. Write down everything you do and the time it takes.
  • 1:00 – “Edit” it. Decide if it’s too short or too long.
  • 3:00 – Film yourself several times in doing your pre-shot routine. Make sure it’s consistently the same motions and time.

Video:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 22 complete, I had to get creative since I don't have any noodles or PVC pipe, I used two hammers, there not as tall as the others, but I think they still did the trick.

Edited by JGus
edit

Gus
---------------

Day 22: Forgot to post last night but I completed the drills. My wife keeps wondering why I have pool noodles in the house. Particularly like the pool noodle drill as I am working on getting my weight more centered in the center of my feet and not so much on my heels.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Day 23. Spent a good bit of time working on this. Only posting a quick vid for proof. Nobody wants to see me going through my pre shot routine ten times. It needs a lot of work, time is around the same but waggles and things are not consistent at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

(edited)

@iacas, @billchao, @boogielicious, right now while I have certain things I’m working on in my PP (To include my takeaway), I recently have included two rehearsal takeaways to A2 into my routine. I don’t think this would be something long term (maybe, maybe not), but would you encourage this (as it reinforces what I’m working on) or discourage it (as it wouldn’t likely be part of a lifelong pre-shot routine?

Secondly, not having had formal lessons before, I’ve not ever thought about a post-shot routine, but I like the idea. Thanks for the tips!

My 1st cycle of 8 shots: longest was 25sec, shortest was 19sec.

I am thinking I would take longer on the course and that the 25 is more normal for me, BUT I also realize the purpose of this exercise is for me to define what “normal” is for me and take IT to the course. This is kinda fun. It’s pouring rain outside for the moment, so I’ll give this another few cycles and see where my “normal” falls. But I would appreciate the opinions as to whether I should include PP rehearsals in my routine.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I filmed a bunch with and one without a practice swings. I usually only do a practice swing if I’m waiting. So the time is roughly 15-20 seconds. Also, at times I will have already picked my line and intermediate target while waiting my turn, so I can eliminate that part. I stopped the film at the start of the backswing. Routine is:

1. Pick start line.
  2. set clubface
  3. take stance
  4. 2-3 weight shifts/ waggles
  5. swing

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 23 drill - as I listened and watched this video, I was amazed at how much of this I do "when on the course".   Sadly I DO NOT do this when pitching balls in the yard or hitting on the range.  I did a total of 5 videos and they came to an average of around 18-20 seconds.  My routine is pretty much the same each time: (1) Pick the target zone, find an intermediate alignment point; (2) Set the clubface/get in position; (3) Several waggles, setting of feet, check of clubface, one last waggle; (4) swing.   My post-swing drill is pretty consistent as well - always watch the ball to see where it lands (duh), check the clubface for contact evidence (w/driver I usually look for a "Sharpie" mark as I use my ball mark alignment as part of the driver aligning)....

One thing I have begun doing this season is keeping track of what happens each shot with a little notebook.  It is painfully honest as I record everything from lost balls, 3putts, fatties, shanks, slices, etc. I also note general wind direction w/arrows beside the hole number...here's a shot of one from a recent round (yes, there is a blow-up hole on there). Which pairs well with the Garmin S20 Approach....

Game notebook .jpg

Edited by WillieT
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 23:

I didn't really have a preshot routine until last year when @iacas told me to. I filmed it several times and the major moves are fairly consistent, even the timing of them. I have slight variations in minor things mostly due to unconscious actions I'm doing as I stay loose and how many times I feel like I need to adjust my sleeves.

• Stand behind the ball on the target line. This is where I consider the preshot routine to have begun. Sometimes I'm looking down at my lie and sometimes up at my target.
  • 0:00-0:05 - look back and forth from ball to target twice.
  • 0:05-0:09 - move into the ball from the left side and set the club head behind the ball while looking at the ball. Sometimes I do a little half waggle while moving to keep my wrists loose.
  • 0:09-0:13 - glance up at the target briefly as I settle into address, then back down at the ball. I'm constantly shimmying my weight back and forth at this point, sometimes with a half waggle. This is also where I adjust my sleeves and in one video actually took my right hand off the club and shook it off.
  • 0:13-0:15 - two waggles. This is deliberate.
  • 0:15-0:21 - two rehearsal moves. Also deliberate.
  • 0:21-0:22 - waggle. This is not deliberate, but apparently I do this every single time.
  • ~0:22 or 0:23 - swing

The post shot routine I feel I was always pretty good at. I've always been very particular about my contact, my start line, and how the flight is. I've often used the feedback from shots I've hit on the course to make adjustments (like I'll hook three drives in a row and spend the rest of the round feeling like I'm trying to hit a big cut or something).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Day 23 - pre/post-shot routine

Without my two takeaway rehearsals I recently added (which may not continue to be part of it), it’s about 19-20secs

1. find target line

2. take stance

3. check my grip

4. waggle x 2-3

5. Recheck target line

6. Hands press forward as trigger

7. swing 

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

Day 21 Golf Drill, 

I think the grass propped up the towel a bit. I think I am shifting laterally way to much left (my perspective) in the backswing/transition. Not a fan of this one 😛 

Day 22

Day 23

So, my routine goes about 20 seconds. To get it consistent, I pretended to like I was pulling a club out of the bag to give me a starting point. I spend a few seconds lining up my shot. Then a few seconds gripping the club. Then I walk and line up to the ball. I do 3 small waggles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!