IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Day 26

Had a hard time keeping right elbow straight

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 26...As always I enjoyed trying to do this properly.  This has been a great process of learning good foundational techniques for better, more enjoyable rounds of golf while correcting bad habits... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

46 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Day 26

Had a hard time keeping right elbow straight

I think keeping the right elbow straight is less important than the fact that you're not really tilting much.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I think keeping the right elbow straight is less important than the fact that you're not really tilting much.

Duly noted

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 hours ago, Nail said:

I think these were to be done both hands underhanded, and left hand down below the grip Scott. (I think that's your name)

You are correct. Forgot that part.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You are correct. Forgot that part.

Geez, Scott. First you don't know what day of the week it is, now you forgot your own name?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Had a some things come up at the end of last week and weekend so haven't been able to do the drills for a few days, did day 23 today and plan on getting mostly caught up tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be nice.

Day 23. In my last lesson with my instructor we spent a little time talking about and rehearsing a preshot routine which I have been using on every shot so far this season. No video for this, but I just timed myself doing it and I was consistently at 9-10 seconds, I prefer a shorter routine over a longer one personally, the less time I take the less likely I am to think of a negative swing thought. 

Here is my routine once I have identified my target line and I am standing behind the ball facing the target:

1. Grip the club for the shot while holding the club vertically and in line with my target
  2. Walk into the shot, align the clubhead behind the ball
  3. Widen my stance to the normal width for the shot 
  4. Look up at my target while slightly shuffling my feet
  5. Look back down and swing

I don't feel rushed doing this, but it happens so quickly that I am still super focused on my target line so negative thoughts like "dont hit it in the water" or "dont chunk/top it" don't have time to enter my mind.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
2 hours ago, billchao said:

Very much this. If you can’t use a mirror, review the video after a few runs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So I did Day 25 and 26 today and made a short clip from each, then a combine one DTL and the same again using the same thoughts.  I notice I tend to rise uf as I hit the ball ?  Is that an issue or OK ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Good drill today. I was surprised how much it worked my abs and obliques. I was also surprised how I needed to really focus on keeping my arms straight in the backswing. My right arm was trying to bend a bit. Once I figured that out, it went well.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Day 26

Did this in my mirror/patio door. Backswing portion was okay but noticed that I didn’t tilt enough the few times. When I got tilt in the backswing alright, I straightened up more than I should during downswing and follow through motion. Maybe I was tired this evening, or maybe it was the Zucca Rabarbaro after dinner, but I’m going to repeat this and also the day-2 exercises which seem to emphasize this tomorrow. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Day 27 - Early Extension

A little bit goes a long way. A little Early Extension — or "goat humping" as it's sometimes called — can help your ball go a long way. It's a little power move that can add clubhead speed. But a lot of golfers abuse this, and even more use it as a compensation for a crowded setup, to slow down a clubhead that wants to tip out over the top, or more, resulting in LOST distance with poor contact and a poor path into the golf ball. Today, two drills to help you leave those poor goats alone.

Drills Today:

• 4:00 - EE wall drill, butt version
  • 4:00 - EE wall drill, head version
  • 2:00 - Normal swings focusing on feeling the same things

Video:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 27 - EE drills. Already knowing I am guilty of this, today was humbling (as all of these have been)

Butt version

Playing things in slow-mo, I am definitely guilty of some EE, but most of the separation I see is more rotation from right to left cheek. 

Head version

This was definitely the more difficult of the two versions. This was a great reminder that I need to go all the way back to “steady head” (5SK #1). I bob  my head quite a bit at start of downswing and this drill was eye-opening as to how much I wanted to pull away from the wall. This was hard and very awkward.

”normal swing”

this was super awkward for the same reason as Head version. I felt terribly off-balance trying to steady my head to maintain my bookends. 😔

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

I have been doing the Day 27 Drill, but I am able to do the butt and head at the same time while I'm in the shower.  In the tub/shower, I put my heels against outer edge of the bottom of the tub, and take my normal stance.  This brings my head up against the opposite wall.  From there, I just make a swing, and keep my rear against the curtain, and my head against the wall.  I started doing this when I was making the change from my old sway to a centered pivot, and I have kept it up after one of my lessons where the pro had me do the same thing. 

Now, in all fairness, I am 6'5" tall, so it may not work for everyone, but this has been a really valuable tool for me.  Oh yeah... and don't even ask for a video.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

So both butt and head coming away from wall after impact is ok ?  That's what I was wondering yesterday when I noticed I was standing up more after the strike.  When I watch the video back in slo-mo at impact I would still be in contact with both imaginary "walls".  

Day 27. I forgot to film the practice swings at the end incorporating the feels but I did do them. I thought I might be guilty of early extension but when I don’t sway on the backswing I find it a lot easier not to early extend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What I am loving about these drills is almost every problem you can have in the golf swing is addressed and if you are having trouble in the future you can refer back to whichever drill could help fix your problem. Excellent stuff

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!