Jump to content
iacas

COVID-19 Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

810 posts / 30304 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

That ball started rolling away and you just let it! I kept waiting for you to stop it with your clubhead.

Concentration: Level 100 😜

6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

for the first part of the drill, I found it really hard to left the club fall - so weird. 

I can attest to that. The first time I learned this technique properly (@iacas gave me a lesson last year) that was the hardest part. It took a little while to get used to, but now all I need is a couple of rehearsals and I’m good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just tried this for a bit, probably will get some video later. I didn't have much success with the feeling of letting the club just drop or fall behind the ball, when I was consciously thinking about that, I would forget to turn and would hit them really fat. 

When I transitioned my thinking into more of "open the face with the right hand" and then "aggressive turn with my body" and let my arms just follow along, I was getting much better results with consistent strikes and nice soft pitches with my 60 degree. I struggled a bit with my 54 degree but I will keep practicing with that.

@iacas I do have two questions I thought of when I was trying this.

  1. Do you typically open the face much at address or do you keep it square to the target? (On just the typical pitch shot, not like a bunker or flop shot)
  2. Is there a max distance that you typically go with this pitching feeling/motion? I will be trying in a field later but I would imagine this can get out to at least like 50-60 yards right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

In the full swing? No, not at all. It should be forward a bit. Some people just go crazy forward in an attempt to have a "flat" left wrist at setup.

If your grip is neutral it will tend to be pretty flat at the top. Stronger grips will tend to be cupped slightly. I could have made that clearer in the video, but I remember thinking it was going on for a long time as it was… 😉

 

Regarding the first bit, ya I like it quite forward. More than most people like this. Too much?

Screenshot_20200407-185454.thumb.jpg.167b2e6bbba2f8ca54b423ce5776201e.jpg

 

Regarding the 2nd part, I'm not worried so much about the flat wrist more that the clubface is not parralel with the lead forearm, its a little closed. Is that ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

for the first part of the drill, I found it really hard to left the club fall - so weird.

I have love the quickie pitch video in the instructional content since the day I found it. Very useful shot. 

You did that one well. It may have felt difficult, but you did it nicely.

4 minutes ago, klineka said:

@iacas I do have two questions I thought of when I was trying this.

  1. Do you typically open the face much at address or do you keep it square to the target? (On just the typical pitch shot, not like a bunker or flop shot)
  2. Is there a max distance that you typically go with this pitching feeling/motion? I will be trying in a field later but I would imagine this can get out to at least like 50-60 yards right?
  1. I think the video says square, no? Open tends to lead to a ball position that's back, or… just some goofy alignment.
  2. I've hit "pitches" a hundred yards (with an 8I maybe). Depends on the club. But yeah, with a wedge, out to about 70 yards with a PW.

Remember, this is the extreme end of the spectrum. With a little arm motion you can hit a "65% pitch/35% chip" that goes 90 yards with a PW.

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

Regarding the first bit, ya I like it quite forward. More than most people like this. Too much?

No.

3 minutes ago, Nail said:

Regarding the 2nd part, I'm not worried so much about the flat wrist more that the clubface is not parralel with the lead forearm, its a little closed. Is that ok?

Yeah, so long as you don't cup it coming down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 7 practice this evening really enjoying these drills. Whether I am doing them well or not is another story😂. Watch the catch at the end 👊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did this several times. First out on the lawn with a 58. Then again on my set up stand. I had to use a PW and GW because it launched too high. I spent a good 25 minutes on this. I only filmed examples.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, Nail said:

Day 7 practice this evening really enjoying these drills. Whether I am doing them well or not is another story😂. Watch the catch at the end 👊

 

Nice reaction! Dave and I will pitch balls against a metal beam and we have to catch them about as quickly as you did. Maybe less quickly even.

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I did this several times. First out on the lawn with a 58. Then again on my set up stand. I had to use a PW and GW because it launched too high. I spent a good 25 minutes on this. I only filmed examples.

Good, Scott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry for the crappy angle, but I had to rush outside after Digital Learning Day #12 before it started to rain.  I practiced earlier this morning when we went out to get "bus lunch."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, bwdial said:

Sorry for the crappy angle, but I had to rush outside after Digital Learning Day #12 before it started to rain.  I practiced earlier this morning when we went out to get "bus lunch."

 

NICE! Can you do four?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

NICE! Can you do four?

Maybe.  I may try this evening if the weather clears.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The rain held off, Day 7

I like this mental image of the club dropping plus pivot. Really takes my head out of trying to hit the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

NICE! Can you do four?

Well... I managed to get back outside and practiced with three balls.  Well, I practiced once, because I launched two of them into the forest behind the house.

:poo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got some on video tonight, on these shots here I was trying to hit my golf bag which was 40 yards out into the field. I found the farther distances like 30-50 yards to be easier than the closer ones from like 10-20 yards. 

Came back home and practiced the 10-20 yard ones a bit more and started getting the hang of those too with both my 60 and 54. 

I really like these short game ones because I haven't been able to spend any time at the driving range short game area like I typically would be doing this time of year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 7 Complete. I really like this form of pitching. I remember working on this some when the initial videos of this were posted. This series is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, metaswinger said:

Day 7

The "soft arm" analogy hits home here.  Most of my errors are from being too tight.

Remember the club shouldn't fall down to where the ball the would be sitting. It should fall down behind your right foot, if it's truly just "falling" down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...