IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here is the day 18 drill. I didn’t have tennis ball so I experimented. Baseballs were too big. Foam balls blew around in the wind. Other golf balls were treacherous as you can see. Finally, I used a roll of tape for one side. The out to in swing was the hardest for me. I worked on that for a while.

I filmed Day 19 but did it wrong. I will do again tomorrow.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 19:

I broke my 6i, so today I practiced with a wood 😉

I also did this drill on the opposite side to avoid developing muscle imbalance.

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

Baseballs were too big.

Baseballs seem like they have the potential to damage your club, too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Day 19:

I broke my 6i, so today I practiced with a wood 😉

I also did this drill on the opposite side to avoid developing muscle imbalance.

Baseballs seem like they have the potential to damage your club, too.

How did you break it?

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How did you break it?

Day 14 delivered a fatal blow:

On 4/14/2020 at 5:54 PM, billchao said:

I just tried that and the first thing I did was hit it 3” fat and nailed the frame of the mat solid :8)

It’s in my head now, I’m done for the day.

The head flew off during my second round of Day 18.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, billchao said:

Also, remember when I said I nailed the metal frame of my mat the other day doing the inside/outside drill with the mat turned sideways? Well this happened just now:

18516747-B376-4DDF-A7CD-717C3A67C510.jpeg

Guess I’ll have something to do later 😅

It's my MP4 6i which I'm not gaming anymore anyway, so I'm in no rush to repair it. Thinking about pulling the entire set apart and putting on some white ferrules and purple grips. Or possibly purple ferrules with white grips.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I worked on Day 18 a little at the range today before I played, but couldn't determine which one was harder.  My swing has always been somewhat over the top until the past few months and focusing on drills from the daily practice has helped me get to more in to out.  I'll have to revisit this drill when I have more time to focus on it.  And will have to table Day 19 as I don't have any bands and haven't had a chance to watch the full video yet.

But good news, the drills I have focused on the most seem to be making a difference, hit the ball really good today.  Haven't played in a couple of months other than a couple trips to the range, and working on these drills, shot an 84 at a course that I have never played before and didn't have any terrible misses that got me into trouble.

Gus
---------------

Day 19

Had to fake this one with my Planemate as I’ve got no other resistance bands. Put on the belt with the track on the lead hip, and used the red band for maximum resistance.  Goood to feel the muscle stretch / engagement when making a correct hip and shoulder turn. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 19: Had to go to my father's house to borrow his resistance bands. Did the drill there so no video. Got a good workout on muscles I don't think I use all that often.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Caught up a few drills today

The foam rollers were a bit firm but found it helpful to see if I was staying centred.  Will get a pool noodle and use this drill more often and maybe even hit some balls

I had previously been working on a path drill using alignment rods at the range so this was helpful.  I think I will try this again with a narrower gap. I was surprised that I found the in to out path a little easier than the out to in, it doesn't seem that long ago that I was coming over the top a lot more. Had to put Emma the Lab in the garage to do this, tennis balls kept disappearing 

I would like to try this with a lighter band as it was tough to get my hand further from my body while rotating and pushing my shoulder up

• Thumbs Up 1

No video today, all I could find was some rubber weatherseal, it doesn’t stretch much so hard to do the exercise properly ,but you sure can feel it.

It’s now gone down to the man cave with the rest of my nightly exercise gear. :-)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, SteveH said:

I would like to try this with a lighter band as it was tough to get my hand further from my body while rotating and pushing my shoulder up

The point isn’t to move the arm though. It only moves enough to knots you’re doing it. If you focus on moving the arm there’s a good chance you’ll recruit shoulder muscles, etc. that you shouldn’t.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Day 20 – Lead Arm Throwing

Today’s drill will teach you two things: first, it’ll help you determine how much lead arm “depth” you need. Second, it’ll teach you one of the better ways to actually ACHIEVE that depth, without just “moving your arms to that point.”

As with all drills, start doing them slowly and ramp up the speed as you go.

The drills for today:

• 3:00 – Swing lead arm forward, back to 3, stop and check
  • 2:00 – Do the same as above near a wall so clubhead ascends
  • 3:00 – Make regular backswings near a wall with your trigger

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I am on like day 7 of this, and have only been practicing once every other day ( I started late as well) so I haven't chimed in on this, but just wanted to say thanks for this. probably the best concentration of practice videos and drills I have seen. 

• Like 1

Day 19 and 20 drills. Did Day 19 correctly this time. I also did the other side as @billchao. That side is a bit weaker. This was a nice warm up too. I did it too fast to start, so I repeated.

Day 20 was informative. I have been working on A4 position for a while now.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Was working on Day 20 next to the outside shop wall (no clear walls to work with in the home or in the shop)  when the rain started.  Will pick this up tomorrow and try to capture this on video.  Followed @iacas advice and started slowly with the swings with an old heavy headed lob wedge.  Found out quickly just how much I tend to lay the club "back" at A3.  Swing - check position - swing - check position and just before the rain it began to come together with the left arm stopping basically horizontal with good extension, the right meeting it at >90deg elbow bend, club in a good position.  Loved coming back and "NOT" hitting the wall.    

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 20 done. Hung a blanket on the line but it’s quite breezy so that part of the drill was awkward. Really like this drill though, Feels like a very natural movement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20

part 1:

Part 2:

I definitely was going steeper with the net behind me, good, bad, or otherwise

part 3:

I look pretty laid off 😒

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 20:

I have a funny story related to today's drill:

I once took a golf elective in college. There was only one other guy in the class besides me with any sort of golf experience (he was a 3 handicap IIRC). Our instructor was really old school with his swing theory and didn't really know what he was talking about, TBH. Anyway, one day we did the wall drill, except instead of a wall, we used the wrought iron fence of the school property. And instead of standing a little away from the fence to allow for depth, he had us standing with our butts against the fence, because according to him, the clubhead should swing up and down the target line on nearly a vertical plane. He demonstrates this and one by one, the class follows suit. The 3 handicap guy laughs quietly to me and says, "That's not how you swing a golf club," but he had enough sense to do it the way the instructor wanted. When it came to my turn, I began my backswing, and sometime shortly after A2 there was a loud clang as I slammed my club into the fence. Good times.

I was the only person in the class to hit that fence :-D

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!