IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

BTW, if you do the practice plan and post at least a few of your videos here (there's no reason we can't keep this topic going), give yourself the award/badge, too.

Who is doing this 30-day stuff right now? Even if you did it in April and you're doing only a few of the drills that still apply to you, let's hear it? Let's see some more videos.

(It's helpful since it's been awhile if you link to the post with the video you're referring to, or link to the day at https://golfevolution.com/30-day-plan/, which will look like this for day 16: https://golfevolution.com/30-day-plan/#day16.)

I've been jumping around based on what I think I should focus on for the last few weeks.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've watched and did a couple of the lessons in the past month.  Seems like a great off-season / back to the basics refresher that I will hopefully utilize all 30 days of this winter.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this video. My question is, what position do you typically find yourself trying an extreme flop shot?

does the lie change your mind even though the position has you wanting to take this type of shot? Thx

Edited by DewSweeper09

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

I really enjoyed this video. My question is, what position do you typically find yourself trying an extreme flop shot?

does the lie change your mind even though the position has you wanting to take this type of shot? Thx

You have to consider everything about the shot. The positions where you need this type of shot are, IMO, kind of obvious, aren't they? It's for a time when you have to get the ball up, land it softly (like, nearly vertically), and not fly very far horizontally.

The point of the video is to show you how to go toward more loft from the standard pitch, so you can apply this for a 30-yard pitch, sometimes, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

Obvious?

Yeah, right?

You don't need a super flop shot if you're 40 yards from the hole with 30 yards of green to work with.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Let me try to ask in a different way.

If you are faced with an obvious flop shot scenario, what would you do different with a) tight lie b) narly thick grass lie. Abandon the flop and opt for something different instead? Or still go forward?

im asking, I feel it was the one aspect of my game I left a couple strokes out there recently, second guessing if I chose the right shot.

Edited by DewSweeper09

3 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

Let me try to ask in a different way.

If you are faced with an obvious flop shot scenario, what would you do different with a) tight lie b) narly thick grass lie. Abandon the flop and opt for something different instead? Or still go forward?

Unless your name is Phil I wouldn't try a flop shot from a tight lie.

Fair enough. So you’re in an “obvious” flop shot position. What do you do? Example. Short sided on lower hill. Your saying abandon the flop, and chip it up and accept the ball rolling out and have a very long putt. Not risking it to get closer. I’m genuinely curious. The video where he opens up big looks like it could be hit from a tight lie. I typically use a bunker shot type approach on thick stuff. 

I seriously left a few strokes out there and want to improve on that. 

10 minutes ago, DewSweeper09 said:

Fair enough. So you’re in an “obvious” flop shot position. What do you do? Example. Short sided on lower hill. Your saying abandon the flop, and chip it up and accept the ball rolling out and have a very long putt. Not risking it to get closer. I’m genuinely curious. The video where he opens up big looks like it could be hit from a tight lie. I typically use a bunker shot type approach on thick stuff. 

I seriously left a few strokes out there and want to improve on that. 

The bunker shot technique can work... in gnarly grass greenside... hit 1 to 2 inches behind ball with face open.  I've used it on occasion.   Otherwise keep those doubles and triples off the scorecard.  Discretion is the better part of valor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks.

I guess I still need to figure out, either work harder on hitting flop from tight lie... or abandon in that situation and practice a pitch from an obvious flop position.

I played well and scored well, but this particular circumstance came a few times.last few rounds and sometimes I’m left thinking I go to flop too often when lie doesn’t warrant it. I’m willing to put in the time. I was thinking about practicing like opening up more in the video. But then started thinking, maybe practice pitch from those positions I want to flop instead. 

I also want to teach my little boy the right thing to do. For a little guy flop shots are already intimidating even with good lie.

Edited by DewSweeper09

On 10/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, DewSweeper09 said:

Thanks.

I guess I still need to figure out, either work harder on hitting flop from tight lie... or abandon in that situation and practice a pitch from an obvious flop position.

I played well and scored well, but this particular circumstance came a few times.last few rounds and sometimes I’m left thinking I go to flop too often when lie doesn’t warrant it. I’m willing to put in the time. I was thinking about practicing like opening up more in the video. But then started thinking, maybe practice pitch from those positions I want to flop instead. 

I also want to teach my little boy the right thing to do. For a little guy flop shots are already intimidating even with good lie.

I think part of your back and forth goes to some definitions.  A pitch (at least in this forum) is a shot played so that the bounce of the club is lower than the leading edge at impact.  A flop is an extreme variation of a pitch shot, not something completely different.  More extreme variations are, in my experience, also more difficult to execute, with a much wider variability in outcomes.  The more open the clubface, and the greater the clubhead speed required, the more "perfect" the lie has to be for most of us.  For me, and I'm a decent player, I want to have a little grass under the ball in order to make a real "flop" as viable option.  Its tough to hit one well from a tight lie, and the chances of blading it over the green are increased.  So from a truly tight lie, I'll use a shot with a greater margin for error, and accept that even a perfectly executed shot won't be right next to the pin.  From a really thick lie I'd give the flop shot a go, I like using an open face and plenty of speed in those situations.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:25 PM, DewSweeper09 said:

The video where he opens up big looks like it could be hit from a tight lie

There's no question that it CAN be hit from tight lies.  But remember that @iacas is a pretty good player, most of us won't consistently hit as good a shot from that position.  Best thing to do is to practice the flop shot from tight lies (make sure you're hitting away from anyone else), both to improve your repertoire of shots and to understand your own limitations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread, it is a great thread filled with drills.  Hope it is ok that I bumped it.

I did Day 1 yesterday.

Today I started with Day 1 and did 10 reps then I proceeded to do Day 2 and did 3 sets of 10 reps for the first 2 drills.  For the third drill I pulled out my tablet and recorded the third drill doing 5 reps.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

• Administrator

If we cared if it was bumped we would lock the thread. 🙂 I’m glad you found it so useful and are getting use out of it again this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did the day 5 drill again yesterday. Excellent drill.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I jumped down to Day 22 and did those drills.

I felt off with my weight in stance, just didn't thinks were right.  Got into the 3 drills, fixed my issues.  I had to much of weight on my toes.

I didn't have a pool noodle so I substituted PVC piping.  That really worked my balance.  Great drills!

• Thumbs Up 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

• 2 months later...

I know I’m a bit behind on this post.... I like this drill and am starting work on it. This maybe answers some of the questions that I have had about “what starts the backswing”.... upper or lower body. I have went back and forth on that and was thinking to use the upper body and have the lower body react to the upper movement. But this changes things I got wrong. Everything works together in one glow then?

Dave

Note: This thread is 751 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!