Sign in to follow this  
leftybutnotPM

Australia's COVID-19 Stimulus Payments

4 posts / 968 viewsLast Reply

There is some detail to this, obviously, but basically - 

Unemployment (Jobseeker) benefits  doubled to $1100 per fortnight.

Government paying ALL workers who have lost their jobs* $1500 per fortnight for 6 months. (Called Jobkeeper). That's full-time, part-time and casual ( who have been with an employer for a year).

*The idea is that employers keep them on the books and business is essentially mothballed.

Some people will get more than they were, some will get less.

Various extra payments to those on government pensions.

No evictions

All in all, it's pretty generous.

Goodness knows how we're going to pay for it eventually, but the aim is survival at this point.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Government paying ALL workers who have lost their jobs* $1500 per fortnight for 6 months. (Called Jobkeeper). That's full-time, part-time and casual ( who have been with an employer for a year).

*The idea is that employers keep them on the books and business is essentially mothballed.

No evictions

Goodness knows how we're going to pay for it eventually, but the aim is survival at this point.

Thanks for posting. I have friends in the Sydney area and thankfully they are all ok.

4 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

No evictions

The “government” isn’t paying for it...

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The “government” isn’t paying for it...

The government has decided to do it this way. And BTW, it is a conservative "liberal" (not Labour) government, which is the opposite of what that means in the U.S.

And, yes, the government is the people and the government gets its money from taxpayers. They govern the $$.

Someone can change the title to "Australians paying themselves in Covid-19 crisis" if that makes you happy.

Or "Australians 100% self-funding in Covid-19 crisis"

That'll make my point really clear.

Edited by leftybutnotPM