Jump to content
Bonvivant

Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

Carts Post COVID-19  

47 members have voted

  1. 1. Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

    • Yes
      1
    • No
      46


110 posts / 3754 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

An interesting topic to think about with some courses having moved to walking only. Will players that are being forced to walk now (if they even play) continue the trend once things return to normalcy, because they find that they like it more? Will golf courses end up raising fees if they see revenue fallout if there are less carts being rented? Discuss if you like, I'll chime in my thoughts after a few replies. 

Edit*

This is geared toward American golf trends. I know that most of the world already walks almost all of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on the course and the climate I expect.

I would not enjoy a  walk round some of the courses I’ve played in the states and Spain especially. 5mins from the green to the next tee and up a f@&£”g mountain. Cart me up please. The same goes for 35C, I want the shade and it’s to damn hot to walk.

As you pointed out, there is almost no need for carts in the UK ( apart from health reasons)


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

An interesting topic to think about with some courses having moved to walking only. Will players that are being forced to walk now (if they even play) continue the trend once things return to normalcy, because they find that they like it more? Will golf courses end up raising fees if they see revenue fallout if there are less carts being rented? Discuss if you like, I'll chime in my thoughts after a few replies. 

Edit*

This is geared toward American golf trends. I know that most of the world already walks almost all of the time.

I always walk, with the exception of two very hilly and steep golf courses in my area, and one of them just closed permanently... sorry Phil.  I don't see things changing once (and when) we're back to the new normal.  Courses that eschew carts going forward could recoup money by selling them and be out from under their maintenance and fueling costs.  Yes, there is a profit on cart rental... perhaps courses will charge part of that via greens fees.  Say, if they make $8 profit per cart rental they will pass $4 along to the golfers.  Not too heavy a burden to bear... and not have to smell gas fumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see things changing at all around my neck of the woods.    Most courses allow walking but very, very few people walk.   I don't see that changing after the lock down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Depends on the course and the climate I expect.

I would not enjoy a  walk round some of the courses I’ve played in the states and Spain especially. 5mins from the green to the next tee and up a f@&£”g mountain. Cart me up please. The same goes for 35C, I want the shade and it’s to damn hot to walk.

As you pointed out, there is almost no need for carts in the UK ( apart from health reasons)


 

Housing development style courses are definitely a thing in the states. I've played a handful of courses with multiple over 400 yard walks green to tee and they also tend to be the longer courses play wise as well. I would walk at these places, if they allowed it, but I would probably regret it quickly. 

I live in a fairly moderate climate (at least I think) with rounds to be had through winter months here and there, and most summer days topping out around 30C. I suppose these are the kinds of areas where a change would be seen, if there is any. 

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I always walk, with the exception of two very hilly and steep golf courses in my area, and one of them just closed permanently... sorry Phil.  I don't see things changing once (and when) we're back to the new normal.  Courses that eschew carts going forward could recoup money by selling them and be out from under their maintenance and fueling costs.  Yes, there is a profit on cart rental... perhaps courses will charge part of that via greens fees.  Say, if they make $8 profit per cart rental they will pass $4 along to the golfers.  Not too heavy a burden to bear... and not have to smell gas fumes.

All good points and I tend to agree. I heard from someone that they were taking the calls in a clubhouse that was walking only, and when they told prospective golfers that no carts were in play, their guess was that 75 percent of players didn't ask to make a tee time. To me this is mind boggling, but I guess the cart culture really does run deep in the good ol U S of A. 

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I don't see things changing at all around my neck of the woods.    Most courses allow walking but very, very few people walk.   I don't see that changing after the lock down.

I tend to agree, but wish it wasn't so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Housing development style courses are definitely a thing in the states. I've played a handful of courses with multiple over 400 yard walks green to tee and they also tend to be the longer courses play wise as well. I would walk at these places, if they allowed it, but I would probably regret it quickly. 

I live in a fairly moderate climate (at least I think) with rounds to be had through winter months here and there, and most summer days topping out around 30C. I suppose these are the kinds of areas where a change would be seen, if there is any. 

All good points and I tend to agree. I heard from someone that they were taking the calls in a clubhouse that was walking only, and when they told prospective golfers that no carts were in play, their guess was that 75 percent of players didn't ask to make a tee time. To me this is mind boggling, but I guess the cart culture really does run deep in the good ol U S of A. 

Well, that good ol' cart can carry your big tour bag, provide a place to store extra golf balls, range finders, cell phones and the 6 pack.  And the boom box.  While keeping you in the shade.  They have their benefits.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, that good ol' cart can carry your big tour bag, provide a place to store extra golf balls, range finders, cell phones and the 6 pack.  And the boom box.  While keeping you in the shade.  They have their benefits.

Oh, the luxuries can be great both in number and power. Had the pleasure of a GPS cart last year (at a Nicklaus design for 38 bucks total no less) at Aston Oaks outside of Cincinnati. I suppose I am a semi-tradionalist on this one because I am a big fan of trolleys (push/pull carts), which allow me to take a lightweight cart bag with ample storage. 

Edit*

I didn't read the full list of amenities you had there. Boom boxes, or even small speakers which is what I think you meant, have no place on a golf course unless it is completely empty. Far too often I have run into people playing music, and their lack of consideration carries over to other things like cart too close to the green, slow play, shouting loudly at every shot, not letting people play through, and so on. If I am going to have to wait for inconsiderate people all day long, the least they can do is keep the racket down. 

Edited by Bonvivant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's too early to see anything as permanent. I know many folks that would / could not play if they had to walk.

 

That's why the walking courses sell their carts to the cart courses.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's too early to see anything as permanent. I know many folks that would / could not play if they had to walk.

 

Could not and would not are two very different things. If you look at the lack of cart culture in the UK, they still make exemptions for medical reasons. They just don't want it to be the norm or even close to it, or at least that's what I have perceived. I suppose anything changing is a pipe dream for me in this case, but maybe the younger (my) generation will walk more at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I had to guess the percentage of walkers at the courses I play, it might be 30%, but the group I play with might scew that number high.

My guess is that the cart-riders will stay home more often rather than walk. When this pandemic finally settles down, it will be status quo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Could not and would not are two very different things.

Yep. I had a friend (RIP) who could not walk. I know others that would rather not play. As for myself, I like to walk, and would love to see the return of caddies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walk so it doesn't matter to me. There does seem to be more walkers in the evenings now since carts have to be in at 630 and you can play till about 750-8pm. I did have an alligator jump out of the brush going across the cart path about 30 yards in front of me the other day. Jogged passed the location, a cart would have made me feel better.

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Yep. I had a friend (RIP) who could not walk. I know others that would rather not play. As for myself, I like to walk, and would love to see the return of caddies.

I'll direct you to my perfect golf course topic then, you have your wish granted there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, snapfade said:

I walk so it doesn't matter to me. There does seem to be more walkers in the evenings now since carts have to be in at 630 and you can play till about 750-8pm. I did have an alligator jump out of the brush going across the cart path about 30 yards in front of me the other day. Jogged passed the location, a cart would have made me feel better.

Remember, you don't have to outrun the gator unless you're the only one in your group.

3 minutes ago, snapfade said:

I'll direct you to my perfect golf course topic then, you have your wish granted there.

I don't see that being feasible these days.

BTW - This is post #6000 for me!

Added: I guess not. It's only 5999.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 6ft. I jumped, I'll admit it, I was alone, so no luck there. They are fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, snapfade said:

About 6ft. I jumped, I'll admit it, I was alone, so no luck there. They are fast.

Especially when they're hungry. 😉

scared happy gilmore GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People won't change their ways, once we are through with this they will ride just like they did before. Some guys I know won't play until they start allowing carts again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Covid-19 may change certain things about the way society operates going forward, but golf cart behavior will probably not be one of them. 

Anyone who would have seriously preferred to walk was probably already doing that well before this outbreak. And even for those of us (like myself) that prefer to walk when possible, there will still be many times when a cart is the more practical option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...