IGNORED

Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Carts Post COVID-19  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

People won't change their ways, once we are through with this they will ride just like they did before. Some guys I know won't play until they start allowing carts again.

Probably right. Like I said, hearing that 75 percent of people weren't putting in for a tee time once they heard it was walking only was pretty indicative of how people feel about it.

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Covid-19 may change certain things about the way society operates going forward, but golf cart behavior will probably not be one of them. 

Anyone who would have seriously preferred to walk was probably already doing that well before this outbreak. And even for those of us (like myself) that prefer to walk when possible, there will still be many times when a cart is the more practical option.

More probably right. I was just hoping that some people that truly love golf but always ride, would find a new way to enjoy the game (a way that I find more enjoyable myself) due to the circumstances.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do you have a counter to remember your wedding anniversary?

oh snap!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I love how I feel after walking the course... leaner, meaner, more handsome.  Until a month ago I was laid up with torn tendons in my elbow for 10 months.  I despise walking other than on the golf course.  In my time off I gained 8 pounds, most around my waist.  I'm normally 5' 10" and 165 pounds.  When I started back up last month I lost the entire 8 lbs. and feel great.  Now, with the current situation with the coronavirus and the courses closed I'm moving backwards again.

1 minute ago, dennyjones said:

oh snap!

😄

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love how I feel after walking the course... leaner, meaner, more handsome. 

😄

Don’t get carried away now!!!

Stevie T

Many of the good courses in my area would be a pain to walk (multiple long cart paths through the woods to the next hole).  Plus I think the majority of the casual golfing community enjoys the practicality of a golf cart.  Speakers, phone, bag of beer, speed, etc.  While there are plenty that are walking because they have to right now, most will go back to carts whenever this goes away.   

Changing from carts to walking takes a change in mindset and approach to the game.  I carry my bag still, even though physically most would argue that it is better to push a trolley. I have tried to play with a trolley but I don’t like it. 
Golf feels more comfortable to me when I carry . The process of putting the bag down is part of my pre shot routine, and picking it back up is closure on the shot just passed. However there are opportunity costs. 
I carry clubs, 6/9 balls, tees, rain jacket and a drink. That’s it. Not everyone prefers a minimalist approach. 

Stevie T

37 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Congrats on 6000!  Do you have a counter to remember your wedding anniversary?

Nope have that one down. It’ll be #25 in May. 

• Like 1

- Shane

53 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love how I feel after walking the course... leaner, meaner, more handsome. 

Lol! Classic @Double Mocha Man.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It may permanently change which courses survive, but it won't "permanently" change riding or walking.  Fast forward a few years with a vaccine in place and it will go back to normal.  100 degree weather will eliminate any thought of walking.

If people won't ride a few feet from each other, how will they ever go to a sporting event at a stadium or arena; or be part of a gallery?

John

(edited)
12 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

It may permanently change which courses survive, but it won't "permanently" change riding or walking.  Fast forward a few years with a vaccine in place and it will go back to normal.  100 degree weather will eliminate any thought of walking.

If people won't ride a few feet from each other, how will they ever go to a sporting event at a stadium or arena; or be part of a gallery?

John

I think you missed what I was talking about. If people that love to golf enough, but normally ride and can't right now, still go out and walk and play they might find a new appreciation for walking. I don't think that this will be the experience for most, but I hope that some people find a new way to enjoy the game, and stick with it. Carts are a very American thing, and I think that it stems from some form of convenience that American's value more than other people.

All this talk of putting speakers in carts is making me sick though. Do y'all actually play music while you are golfing? If so, do you think that it doesn't bug others?

Edited by Bonvivant
sp
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• iacas changed the title to Will COVID-19 Permanently Change Cart Culture?
  • Administrator

Poll added.

Please add polls for topics like this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Beastie said:

Changing from carts to walking takes a change in mindset and approach to the game.  I carry my bag still, even though physically most would argue that it is better to push a trolley. I have tried to play with a trolley but I don’t like it. 
Golf feels more comfortable to me when I carry . The process of putting the bag down is part of my pre shot routine, and picking it back up is closure on the shot just passed. However there are opportunity costs. 
I carry clubs, 6/9 balls, tees, rain jacket and a drink. That’s it. Not everyone prefers a minimalist approach. 

I use a push cart, but gave it up at one time and went back to carrying.  Reason:  #8 at my home course has a very long, narrow green.  The green, from front to back is about 50 yards long.  My errant approach to a middle pin landed just to the right of the green... chipped on and made the par putt.  Then I noticed my push cart was to the right and the next tee was to the left.  In a quandry.  So I had a very long walk around the front or the back of the green.  My choice.  Sheesh, I could've just carried a bag across the green... the shortest distance.  I have since gone back to using a cart and I park my cart in a smarter way on that hole now.

8 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I use a push cart, but gave it up at one time and went back to carrying.  Reason:  #8 at my home course has a very long, narrow green.  The green, from front to back is about 50 yards long.  My errant approach to a middle pin landed just to the right of the green... chipped on and made the par putt.  Then I noticed my push cart was to the right and the next tee was to the left.  In a quandry.  So I had a very long walk around the front or the back of the green.  My choice.  Sheesh, I could've just carried a bag across the green... the shortest distance.  I have since gone back to using a cart and I park my cart in a smarter way on that hole now.

If it was a 3/4 wheel cart and you didn't turn it, it would do far less damage to the green than just walking around on the green. I know it doesn't look acceptable and people may give you the stink eye, but it may give you the chance to enlighten them on physics and weight dispersion.

44 minutes ago, iacas said:

Poll added.

Please add polls for topics like this.

No problem. I worded the title poorly to begin with. It should have read "How much will Covid change cart culture in america" or something to that effect. I was looking more for an open discussion on if anything at all will happen. It seems more likely now that things will just be shut down altogether, so normal riders won't even have a chance to walk if they wanted to.

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

If it was a 3/4 wheel cart and you didn't turn it, it would do far less damage to the green than just walking around on the green. I know it doesn't look acceptable and people may give you the stink eye, but it may give you the chance to enlighten them on physics and weight dispersion.

What you say is true... probably fewer PSI than my shoes.  At one point in my quandary I considered picking the damn thing up and carrying it across the green!

Nope.  The big change here has been to single rider carts.  As a result, rounds are even quicker.

Played 36 holes in 5:45 today as a 4-ball.  Good stuff!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's too early to see anything as permanent. I know many folks that would / could not play if they had to walk.

Agree, especially seniors. I do think some people will find out they enjoy walking and change. But for the most part, the rest will revert.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!