IGNORED

What’s the Best Driver Ever Made?

Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

Jim Clark

_107823672_gettyimages-73749118.jpg

The Formula One cars of that era were so much prettier and so much less safe.

Fangio and Schumaker weren't bad either. 

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 hours ago, snapfade said:

Jim Clark

_107823672_gettyimages-73749118.jpg

Hard to argue with that... or that Jochen Rindt was probably the second best.

And they both died in a Lotus, designed to be as light as possible.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, colin007 said:

I completely disagree on vintage guitars. Newer guitars are made with tighter tolerances and can be set up to play so much easier than vintage stuff, and with today's amp modeling and fx processing technology it can be made to sound like anything to want.

With your driver, you prolly hit it in the center of the face. With perfect contact you're not gonna see a huge difference between drivers anymore, it's more about how you get fit for it and how it looks and feels to you.

Personally, having seen the sweet spot of my driver as often as seeing Scandinavian twins in my bed, I need all the help I can get.

I agree with you about guitars, (yes I know it is off topic) but I love my Taylor 810CE. had it for many years. Unfortunately the face now has a crack in it, don't know why but it still plays great.

I have found that as you age and develop injuries, (I'm 68 and have had three back surgeries), your preference for drivers changes. I Use to be a Ping G guy but as I got older I have now changed to the Cobra F Max. Helps with a strong fade due to it's offset. When I hit it right it really goes for me, not that far maybe a 200 yard carry but 9 times out of 10 it is straight. 

Sorry...OT...
Hard to say...for many, its the person who owned it, others are just make...first year Martins are always good..first issue gold top les pauls are hot, strats... Gibsons from the Kalamzoo plant (my brother’s epiphone from our Grandfather is from the kalamazoo plant..last year they were there). Certain model DAngelico’s, Then it becomes vintage owned by... like any of Claptons older one, even the non strats, Jimmy Page has some Les Pauls... Rick Neilson from Cheap Trick has a huge collection and used to write an article in a mag just focusing on weird and or vintage stuff from his collection. Mine will always be a Gibson Super 400 from the mid to late 70s, a Gibson Byrdland from the same

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

23 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I'm sorry @colin007 . Amp modeling may work okay in the studio, but it still doesn't beat the sound of a tube amp because tone electrons flow better in a vacuum than they do in a crystalline lattice. It's a proven fact. 

I apologize for bringing this a little OT, but my point wasn't what sounds better - that's subjective. I happen to have a tube amp and love how it sounds, but tubes add distortion, and to many people it sounds good. BOSE and Beats add distortion to their headphones to make people think they sound warmer or fuller or whatever, but in reality it's just different. Studio monitors don't sound like BOSE for a reason.

Anyways, that's irrelevant. Not gonna wade into "tone electrons" other than to say omg lol ygbfkm.

My point is about performance. Ease of playing, speed, comfort, consistency, these things come with newer instruments. A newer guitar is built for speed and comfort. What you think sounds better or looks better is subjective. Swap out the pickups. Run it thru a different amp. Whatevs. 

Take this with a grain of salt. I listen to death metal. I think The Beatles, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty etc suck wet greasy diarrhea ass. That's me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

death metal

You mean music with lots of technical ability but not much sense for melody--just endless picking/sweeping/arpeggio/and other practice licks played really fast?  🙂

I like heavy music; I workout to it.  I admit the technical skill, no question.  Riffs galore, excellent timing, etc.  However, most metal guys lack feel and sense of melody and nuance.  It's all 11 all the time.  I have to be in the mood for that stuff.  Also, some guys neglect groove for the sake of speed and double kick pedals.  I like metal guys that groove and not just bang the whole time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Take this with a grain of salt.

22AD6B50-EA6E-414D-93DE-C2703B60B55D.gif.d17c7e00572105bc70509c9a5901a80e.gif

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

. I think The Beatles, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty etc suck wet greasy diarrhea ass.

3C39199C-3E6F-48D3-9CD1-284D65147B26.gif.f68e539d5f3e628664723ffaa83dc17f.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I played a TaylorMade r7 SuperQuad for probably longer than I should have. I loved pretty much everything about that thing. The size, shape, look, feel.

I just pulled the thing out and i still love the look and feel at address. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

On 3/31/2020 at 8:16 PM, Vinsk said:

Are you guys kidding?! Of course it’s:

A1CBE7B4-7CEB-4495-8044-33A1FAE16565.thumb.jpeg.f2ca03e05de8dae4eb3ade8931933cb9.jpeg

THE HAMMER!!!! POW!!!

Beat me to it! 😉

On 4/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, DrvFrShow said:

Drivers: the best one I've hit was a Callaway Razr Fit. When you hit it in the sweet spot it was a bomb ball. And it was difficult to slice with it. 

Now tone electrons. It's absolutely true. It's all explained here by the genius himself. If your name wasn't David Lindley, Jackson Browne, Larry Carlton, Bonnie Raitt, Graham nash, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steve Lukather, Robben Ford, Randy California, Rick Vito, Dean Parks, Eric Johnson, one of the Beach Boys, Jay Graydon, or Ry Cooder, you were out of luck.

Yep! Vacuum tubes are different, Kind of reminds me when CD's were introduced, and everybody went running to them, saying how superior they were. Then some people started poking their heads up saying "Wait a minute! These actually sound better!" Meaning LP's! Admittedly you might need some expensive components to get those LP's to sound as good as they can. I've heard some incredible stereo systems with components that I had never heard of. If you think Bang & Olufsen, Nakamichi, or Klipsch are ultra high end, you are mistaken! 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:05 PM, colin007 said:

I apologize for bringing this a little OT, but my point wasn't what sounds better - that's subjective. I happen to have a tube amp and love how it sounds, but tubes add distortion, and to many people it sounds good. BOSE and Beats add distortion to their headphones to make people think they sound warmer or fuller or whatever, but in reality it's just different. Studio monitors don't sound like BOSE for a reason.

Anyways, that's irrelevant. Not gonna wade into "tone electrons" other than to say omg lol ygbfkm.

My point is about performance. Ease of playing, speed, comfort, consistency, these things come with newer instruments. A newer guitar is built for speed and comfort. What you think sounds better or looks better is subjective. Swap out the pickups. Run it thru a different amp. Whatevs. 

Take this with a grain of salt. I listen to death metal. I think The Beatles, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty etc suck wet greasy diarrhea ass. That's me.

I'm not a death metal fan, but I do have a fondness for "live" albums, since you get a little of the distortion when they're cranking it through the amps. Also, why did Gibson, some years back, go back and offer guitars with their "old formula" finish that would crackle up? Because they were hearing from players of their instruments bitching about the new finish that didn't crackle up! Turns out long time afficionados had realized that the finish crackling improved the tone of the instrument! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Sounds like bullshit @Buckeyebowman. The crackling happened after decades of being around in different environments, weather, temp etc... which also meant the wood was naturally seasoned after years. While it’s true that wood saturated with finishes and coatings of top coat sound different than pure wood, when it cracked, more of the wood was exposed so vintage guitars have older, naturally aged wood and thats the prime difference.

OMG is this a guitar thread or a driver thread?

On 3/31/2020 at 4:17 PM, BackandThru22 said:

My taylormade burner is unbelievable.... I’m saying best driver of all time. ... Think your driver is better?

Best driver ever is not any single head. Its the head and shaft that best fits the player. First it's ridiculous to state a driver head made 10+ years ago is the best driver ever made. Depending on what version of the Burner you are speaking of there have been 10+ versions of Taylormade Drivers that are better. Not to mention other manufacturers. 

So to answer you question, Yes my G400 LST driver is better, by a wide margin.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:17 PM, BackandThru22 said:

I still hit it 300+ Regularly 

You and every other guy who hits it 250. 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

14 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Best driver ever is not any single head. Its the head and shaft that best fits the player. First it's ridiculous to state a driver head made 10+ years ago is the best driver ever made. Depending on what version of the Burner you are speaking of there have been 10+ versions of Taylormade Drivers that are better. Not to mention other manufacturers. 

Silly point. Best=Relatively speaking. A bench warmer would beat 1989 Michael Jordan in a game of 1 on 1 pretty easily. Are they better?

On 4/1/2020 at 3:25 AM, bwdial said:

Looking at the number of guys who get paid a lot of money who are putting the new TaylorMade SIM in the bag, I'm going to say it must be pretty good.

It’s fugly though... very fugly.

Stevie T

the best driver is of course a very personal choice ...  unless you try them all out with the same shaft its a very hard pick ...I agree the newer you go the better its just the amount of tech and spending ongoing that can't but make tiny improvements ... I personal don't think me buying the latest Mizuno ST200 head over my older ST180 would reap much if any gains I would notice ..

I went though a stage where I had played around with many second hand different brands (and shafts !!) PING G 20-30 Taylormade M1 M3 Callaway Raz ...and tried out many more at the Golf shop ...Overall its just which one feels the best in your hands and you don't want to break after a bad round...

Really like the Mizuno ST180 I'm gaming currently would have to be one of the best values driver to performance I've ever used(esp with the shaft) the only driver I've been able to land on the green of a couple PAR4 at my local   ...so IMHO to date has been my best ..

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1469 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!