IGNORED

Is GAME Golf Officially Dead?

skywaterbanjo

I found my only recorded GG round from this year waiting for review. I began looking around for an alternative shot tracker this week, but will stick with GG for now.

-Craig-

In my bag:

:callaway: XR-16 Driver 10.5° :callaway: Epic Flash 3W, Big Bertha Steelhead 5W

:callaway: X Hot 3 hybrid :callaway: Steelhead X-14 irons 4i-PW,SW spacer.pngCG14 GW, LW  ping-logo1.png.f020c6ba3751388e4eea3481be9cfca6.pngTyne 4 putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played and uploaded a round yesterday (Thursday). Used GG Live, the belt sensor and the uploading program on my windows laptop. Did not use the app for my cell phone at all. Everything worked like a charm 😀

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I had 6 rounds from a golf trip on my live device. Plugged into the computer, opened the "desktop" app on Windows 10 and everything uploaded just fine. But again, the problem is there are lots of "Star" names as the club and things seem a little "off" from where it was detecting shots and how many shots are being detected (there are a lot of extra shots for some reason...?). My putter is set to "Star" and I'm having to do a ton of editing. However, I had already changed everything to the "Pro Device" so it's possible there is a communication problem between these two devices since they rely on the same "clubs" per-say. I'm not quite sure honestly. 

What stinks here is I bought the Pro device but have not had a chance to use it. Though I still do have time to return if I so wish. However, my hunch is that "Pro" is where a lot of their money is going to go moving forward. Investing in "Live" doesn't seem like where the company is headed. Though Live is their biggest user base at the moment (the support agent I talked to said so) so they are clearly trying to get things in a workable state to make those users happy (as they should). 

I'm hoping to get out this weekend and test out "Pro" and see how it does. If it works well, I'll just stick with Pro and figure out a way to give the Live device to a buddy or something. 

Edited by youngaa1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, youngaa1 said:

I had 6 rounds from a golf trip on my live device. Plugged into the computer, opened the "desktop" app on Windows 10 and everything uploaded just fine. But again, the problem is there are lots of "Star" names as the club and things seem a little "off" from where it was detecting shots and how many shots are being detected (there are a lot of extra shots for some reason...?).

Is it, though? I don't have this issue if I have my bag set up the right way.

Double check that.

However, I had already changed everything to the "Pro Device" so it's possible there is a communication problem between these two devices since they rely on the same "clubs" per-say. I'm not quite sure honestly.

Right. I suspect that's causing some sort of issue?

What stinks here is I bought the Pro device but have not had a chance to use it. Though I still do have time to return if I so wish. However, my hunch is that "Pro" is where a lot of their money is going to go moving forward. Investing in "Live" doesn't seem like where the company is headed. Though Live is their biggest user base at the moment (the support agent I talked to said so) so they are clearly trying to get things in a workable state to make those users happy (as they should).

Of course that's true, but as long as LIVE still works, why move to Pro?

Hell, apparently Classic still works.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Okay, I had seven rounds during the latest "GG is dead?" period.  They're uploaded now, and I have scorecards and/or sufficient memories of five of them to fix and sign.  I did not have this for the other two.  In any case, SG during that period is nice... average 3.2 loss off the tee (which includes a single O.B. from the tee), 2.03 loss approach (this includes a single O.B. from an iron shot), 2.17 short game (nice) and 7.83 putting (I did cram putting before the two most recent rounds and I didn't need GG to tell me my putting before that was atrocious).  

So, it's nice to have the rounds uploaded... and I'll record my two this weekend and see how it goes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

@StuM Played 18 today with the Pro device:

The Good: Everything uploaded. I didn't use the phone in anyway so just turned on the Pro device and waited for it to beep and started playing. I turned on the haptic feedback so I knew when a shot was detected. Putting detection worked quite well. When the ball was within a club length of the cup, I just gave it a good hit to put it in the cup and it detected the shot on almost all of those scenarios. 

The Bad: There were some missed chips and a few other random shots missed. A few times the GPS was clearly off just a touch and I had to adjust the location of the shot.

The Ugly: It missed 3 holes completely. I have no idea how or why that happened. The first hole was missed, though it showed just a driver shot as 1 shot. Holes 6 and 7 had no shots at all. I knew how I played them so I just edited everything after the fact. 

Notes: There was a time in the round where I opened my phone and it opened to the Game Golf app and the device made a noise as if the app and device started talking or something. Maybe that explains what happened on 6 and 7 since hole 6 is when I did that (was waiting for a group)...? No clue really.

Overall: I still prefer the Live device as manual tagging is just a guarantee with very little editing after the fact. Though the editing time for the Pro device round wasn't a lot either so I can't really complain. I had got use to tagging as part of my routine so that never bothered me. I feel I need to play more with the Pro device to get a better feel. I don't think I can judge it after 1 round. Though, they only offer a 30 day guarantee so I'd have to play quick here. 

If the desktop app is working again and if I can get my Live device clip fixed, I don't really see a reason to go to Pro. But then again, we all though the desktop app upload was broke and it's fixed again so...I don't know what to think at this point. 

On 5/28/2021 at 12:02 PM, iacas said:

Is it, though? I don't have this issue if I have my bag set up the right way.

Double check that.

Right. I suspect that's causing some sort of issue?

Of course that's true, but as long as LIVE still works, why move to Pro?

Hell, apparently Classic still works.

Yeah, it was definitely due to everything being on the "Pro" tags. 

Yeah, if the desktop app is working again and I can get my Live device clip fixed...I just don't see a reason to switch to Pro really. But I don't know what this company is going to do so I'm at a little bit of a loss. I guess I can reach out to them again and see what they say.

• Thumbs Up 1

I uploaded 2 rounds over the weekend through the transfer app on my computer and a live device. No issues on either round. 
I’m not exactly holding my breath on how long this works for, though. Glad it’s fixed, but I’m not wedded to using GG. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Both my rounds this weekend uploaded from the Windows app.  I do not remember updating the app on my computer.

At some point in my device's history, I lost three tags.  I am debating paying the... $15 I think? ... to replace them.  I'm wondering if that might be throwing money away.  At the moment, if I lose a tag, I'm out of something (because I have 15 clubs, two of which I alternate between... and my tags are glued into most of my clubs, and I want to experiment with a different wedge configuration at some point because right now I'm carrying a 56 and 58 for some reason).

Sorry, that last part was meant to be a question.  Do you think it's worth it to buy replacement tags at this point?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

Sorry, that last part was meant to be a question.  Do you think it's worth it to buy replacement tags at this point?

$15 is not much to risk. Not the same as paying @ $300 for an entirely new device.  I would go for it.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

9 hours ago, StuM said:

$15 is not much to risk. Not the same as paying @ $300 for an entirely new device.  I would go for it.

I think I'll do that.

Another complaint for the website:  When I log into the "my-golf-bag" page, I can't seem to change which tags are in which clubs.  This is particularly annoying because one of the tags I lost a while ago was my 5-iron, and I put the triangle in, and now I have to change "triangle" to "5-iron" every time it shows up in a round.

Nevermind re: individual tag purchases;  each that I need is waiting listed.  So that's nice.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator

Gonna close this topic and direct everyone over here instead:

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas locked this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • Administrator

An update for January, 2023: