Jump to content
FlyingAce

Private Club Dues RE: COVID-19

39 posts / 1935 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

For those who belongs to a private club, what is your club doing with your monthly dues?

My club is owned by American Golf and has been closed since 3/13. I just got an email from them saying they will charge full dues for March and April, then 80% dues from May and on. People are not happy but we don’t know if there is anything we can do.

I have been in home isolation for a few weeks, so I have not played golf. But just found out our GM, on his last day, had instructed security to let anyone through to play golf/tennis at my club. Somehow the word traveled and people from all over the area came to play. It is becoming a problem because the course is inside a gated community and they are seeing increased traffic on the course and in the community, and people are still congregating in large groups (groups of 12,15 players playing together and people are playing six-somes, etc.). It is frustrating to find that members are still paying full dues and random Joe’s are reaping the benefits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

For those who belongs to a private club, what is your club doing with your monthly dues?

My club is owned by American Golf and has been closed since 3/13. I just got an email from them saying they will charge full dues for March and April, then 80% dues from May and on. People are not happy but we don’t know if there is anything we can do.

I have been in home isolation for a few weeks, so I have not played golf. But just found out our GM, on his last day, had instructed security to let anyone through to play golf/tennis at my club. Somehow the word traveled and people from all over the area came to play. It is becoming a problem because the course is inside a gated community and they are seeing increased traffic on the course and in the community, and people are still congregating in large groups (groups of 12,15 players playing together and people are playing six-somes, etc.). It is frustrating to find that members are still paying full dues and random Joe’s are reaping the benefits...

I think you talk about two separate things.

First, on dues, they've probably already been paid or billed for March and April, so going to 80% for the rest of the year (??) seems reasonable.

Second, the course should not allow non-members on. If that's what you mean, I'd be annoyed as hell, too. I can see private courses not staffing the place but letting members play (especially if they can be maintain their distance from one another, etc.).

Can you clarify the latter point? Are these members who are gathering and getting too close to one another, or non-members?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

1) For those who belongs to a private club, what is your club doing with your monthly dues?

My club is owned by American Golf and has been closed since 3/13. I just got an email from them saying they will charge full dues for March and April, then 80% dues from May and on. People are not happy but we don’t know if there is anything we can do.

2) But just found out our GM, on his last day, had instructed security to let anyone through to play golf/tennis at my club. Somehow the word traveled and people from all over the area came to play. It is becoming a problem because......

 

Ace:

Hope your well and staying safe.

1) A for profit company like American Golf Corp will be run differently than a not for profit private club.

That said.....as per the 2 golf forum links below...seems like the major of members at private clubs are paying near full dues because the memberships want to ensure the future financial viability of the club.

2) "It is becoming a problem....Huh?...seems like this is on going....WTF.

Shouldn't another manager at your club like the Assistant GM, Head Superintendent, etc have stepped in from day 1 and advised security that the club is closed as per American Golf Corp's instructions and that all non-essential entities/businesses be closed as per the NM Governor's mandate...and that the GM is no longer employed with the club and no longer has any authority at the club.

Seems like the past GM is a huge CLOWN and disgruntled past employee....you and the membership should start to shame this person....what GM on their last day would instruct security to open the course up to anyone....especially in today's environment with Covid 19 issues.

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/forum/golf-discussion-forum/golf-courses/3127466-dues-situation

 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1819956/private-club-dues-credit-during-shutdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanoan would be tough to keep people off of as spread out as it is. I am not sure how they would keep non members off the course without staffing the pro shop (something our governor said they cannot do). The city courses have gone to a private security firm to keep people off the courses. These guys drive around on 4 wheelers running anyone and everyone off the course. Tanoan could do that I suppose, but that would limit everyone's access.

As cooped u as everyone feels, and the fact that pretty much every other course around here is on lock down I am sure the word spread like wildfire that Tanoan was still allowing play. Although, I gotta say I didn't hear anything.

As far as dues, it sucks you have to pay while people that don't get to enjoy the course, but it's not like Tanoan is that "private". I've never been a member there and I have played there 100 times over the years, just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would be pretty choked and probably looking for a new club to move to for next season. Our club is currently closed, as are the others in the area.  They started by closing it to non-members, which was ok imo as it offered some level of protection to paid up members and we were still playing.  They covered up the ball washers and removed all pins from practice green, as well as raised all the cups an inch so we didn't have to actually putt into the hole. We just phoned or booked tee times online and did not need to go in to the pro shop.  Then, around 3/21 they just closed.  I think the fact that they weren't getting any revenue from the restaurant/pub, as well as pro-shop was making it difficult for them to justify being open.  It's a little disappointing to those of use that have paid our annual dues, as I personally feel that we could be easily playing and distancing from our friends, while still safely enjoying the fresh air, exercise, skill and friendship that we golf for in the first place.  They are still out there maintaining the course and doing some improvement etc, which is a good thing I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas Yes, March was paid in Feb, but they did not bill April yet since the club closed. They just sent April’s bill and want people to mail in a check to their office in CA. I don’t use checks and am not going out just to buy a stamp to mail this in.

The club has laid off everyone except one person to maintain the course. Re: congregating - it is both members and non-members. Seems like some members are inviting their friends from other courses to play, and the usual groups (mostly younger players) are still playing as a group as if things are normal. A friend lives by a tee box and she said last weekend was so busy, there were groups back to back from 8am to 7pm. She could tell many were not from our club. She saw people playing barefoot, a teenager playing naked, some goofing around, some beating the life out of the tee boxes, etc. The bathrooms are closed so people were just using whatever bushes they saw fit. She played yesterday alone on a par5 and a ball flew in her direction out of nowhere. A few minutes later a few guys, in flip flops, came in sight holding just a few clubs and a 6-pack.  Turned out they were playing the hole backwards and didn’t think that would be an issue...

I agree that it is not possible to police the course and prevent members from playing (many live in the golf community). But to open the door for anybody to come in is a different story. 

@NM Golf Yes anyone can play Tanoan if  you have a member bring you in. But it’s not like you can just walk in, pay and play.  And they limit the same guest to only 3 or 6 games/year, at least for the last 3 years I was there. But of course, anyone who can get into Tanoan can just walk on, but we rarely see that. 

Perhaps you can come by and see if you can get in to play! 

@Mr22putt Thanks, I am bored but doing well. I have been in home isolation because my husband works at a hospital and I don’t know what he is going to bring home, so I don’t want to risk spreading anything if I go out.  And I certainly don’t want to pick up anything and pass it on to him. He cannot afford to be sick. I have been practicing in my backyard but have lost my swing/feel. I keep hitting the ball outside my yard and I fear someone may get hurt from my errant shots...

I hope you are doing well yourself!

I have no problem paying parts of my dues if they are maintaining the course. But they let everyone go except one maintenance guy. It is not possible for one person to maintain a 27-hole course. 

I can quit my club and play elsewhere, but there isn’t even a person to contact since everyone is gone.

@SteveH At least your club is still maintaining/improving the course. I wouldn’t mind paying my dues if that’s what my club is doing! They even want to charge the F&B minimum when the clubhouse is closed. I just looked at my bill - they are tagging on a trail fee too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most people at our club pay dues up front at the end of December. You can get a payment plan through the first half of the year, but at a 6% hit. All dues must be paid by the end of June. Nobody I have spoken to expects any rebates or discounts. We are completely shut down but have not laid anybody off and full time employees are still getting paid, so the dues are critical to making that work. We have put together an employee supplement program as well and the membership has been very generous. The sad thing is that we had a stellar 2019 and had a nice fund set up to do some projects that needed attention and now I wonder if they will get done. We will get through this but I also wonder about some other clubs in our area who were already struggling.   

Some members are complaining about not being allowed to play, as it is an outdoor endeavor but our local golf association petitioned the Governor about a waiver and he said no. Even Merion specifically asked for one and was turned down. I have noticed one local club in particular that has a lot of players on the course every day and it is driving some of our member crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My club operations are closed, but only members can walk the course.
Some staff is present daily but has no interactions with members
Members are still billed monthly dues with no reductions.
At least it's somewhat peace of mind knowing the Owner will probably not close the doors in the near future.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not a member of a private club but if I were an equity member I would be okay with paying dues to keep the staff employed and the course cared for.  If I were a non-equity member of American Golf or any other venture, I would look into cancelling my membership.  Unless there were a waiting list, re-joining when the problem is solved would make the most sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

My club operations are closed, but only members can walk the course.
Some staff is present daily but has no interactions with members
Members are still billed monthly dues with no reductions.
At least it's somewhat peace of mind knowing the Owner will probably not close the doors in the near future.
 

When you say "only members can walk the course" do you mean that they can play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When you say "only members can walk the course" do you mean that they can play?

Yes, members are playing.

It is upon everyone to practice "social distancing" guidelines.

But Missouri will have "stay at home" effective on Monday.

Guessing our Owner may react in some manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

@NM Golf Yes anyone can play Tanoan if  you have a member bring you in. But it’s not like you can just walk in, pay and play.  And they limit the same guest to only 3 or 6 games/year, at least for the last 3 years I was there. But of course, anyone who can get into Tanoan can just walk on, but we rarely see that. 

Perhaps you can come by and see if you can get in to play! 

LOL no that wouldn't be right, although I gotta say I thought about it after reading your post.

Mostly when I play there its in a money game of some sort. Know several guys who are members there plus working at another golf course has it's privileges and I know most of the guys in the pro shop. It's certainly not as easy as just walking in, but they are definitely not as stingy as the folks at ACC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We’re lucky that we’re still open, but if they were to close down I would expect to still pay dues.  

Maintenance would still need to be kept up in order for the course to open in good shape when allowed to do so, and I’d like to see the staff continue to receive some pay to help ensure that they come back too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

LOL no that wouldn't be right, although I gotta say I thought about it after reading your post.

Mostly when I play there its in a money game of some sort. Know several guys who are members there plus working at another golf course has it's privileges and I know most of the guys in the pro shop. It's certainly not as easy as just walking in, but they are definitely not as stingy as the folks at ACC. 

LOL If you do end up trying, let me know if it was successful!

There really isn’t any way to get on the course at ACC without the proshop or cart barn people seeing you. One way in, one way out at that club. 

Tanoan is so spread out and there are many options to walk on. I am thinking maybe I can walk down to Acoma...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Yes, members are playing.

It is upon everyone to practice "social distancing" guidelines.

But Missouri will have "stay at home" effective on Monday.

Guessing our Owner may react in some manner.

I’m hoping they choose to stay open. The state is allowing golf. Our muni is staying open, but other local munis and private courses have closed. https://governor.mo.gov/stay-home-missouri-order-guidance-and-frequently-asked-questions

 

"STAY HOME MISSOURI" ORDER - GUIDANCE AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

To further combat the spread of COVID-19 in Missouri, Governor Parson directed Dr. Randall Williams, Director of Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, to issue a Stay at Home Order which is effective April 6, 2020.

This Order directs all Missourians to avoid leaving their residences unless necessary and to practice social distancing when they need to travel outside their homes to work, access foods, prescriptions, health care, and other necessities, or to engage in an outdoor activity. This Order does not require all businesses statewide to close or cease operation.

HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF THINGS YOU CAN DO UNDER THIS ORDER:

  • Go to grocery, convenience, or warehouse stores
  • Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities
  • Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor or provider first)
  • Go to a restaurant for take-out, delivery, or drive-thru
  • Go to a place of worship – just make sure that no more than 10 people are in any single space at one time and keep 6 feet of distance between you and others
  • Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, fish, hunt, golf and be in nature for exercise – just keep six feet of distance between you and others
  • Receive deliveries from any business which delivers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

The state is allowing golf. Our muni is staying open, but other local munis and private courses have closed.

Quote

Forest Park Golf Course will be closed until further notice. 
Highlands Golf & Tennis will be closed until further notice. 

These two courses are in the City Limits and have closed, however the Park is still open.
State and City Parks have been closing in the area.

One park which is 100 miles south of St Louis which closed makes no sense, as it typically has very few visitors.
I haven't heard or talked to friends who frequent the Lake Ozark area, but I can't imagine closing Branson and other lakes
to prevent activities such as fishing. As well as those parks for the many who camp and float the Missouri waterways when the weather warms this week.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

1) A for profit company like American Golf Corp will be run differently than a not for profit private club.

Are there really that many non profit private clubs? 

Even private clubs that aren't owned by a big corporation would still presumably have owner(s) that want to make a profit, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

@iacas Yes, March was paid in Feb, but they did not bill April yet since the club closed. They just sent April’s bill and want people to mail in a check to their office in CA. I don’t use checks and am not going out just to buy a stamp to mail this in.

The club has laid off everyone except one person to maintain the course. Re: congregating - it is both members and non-members. Seems like some members are inviting their friends from other courses to play, and the usual groups (mostly younger players) are still playing as a group as if things are normal. A friend lives by a tee box and she said last weekend was so busy, there were groups back to back from 8am to 7pm. She could tell many were not from our club. She saw people playing barefoot, a teenager playing naked, some goofing around, some beating the life out of the tee boxes, etc. The bathrooms are closed so people were just using whatever bushes they saw fit. She played yesterday alone on a par5 and a ball flew in her direction out of nowhere. A few minutes later a few guys, in flip flops, came in sight holding just a few clubs and a 6-pack.  Turned out they were playing the hole backwards and didn’t think that would be an issue...

I agree that it is not possible to police the course and prevent members from playing (many live in the golf community). But to open the door for anybody to come in is a different story. 

@NM Golf Yes anyone can play Tanoan if  you have a member bring you in. But it’s not like you can just walk in, pay and play.  And they limit the same guest to only 3 or 6 games/year, at least for the last 3 years I was there. But of course, anyone who can get into Tanoan can just walk on, but we rarely see that. 

Perhaps you can come by and see if you can get in to play! 

@Mr22putt Thanks, I am bored but doing well. I have been in home isolation because my husband works at a hospital and I don’t know what he is going to bring home, so I don’t want to risk spreading anything if I go out.  And I certainly don’t want to pick up anything and pass it on to him. He cannot afford to be sick. I have been practicing in my backyard but have lost my swing/feel. I keep hitting the ball outside my yard and I fear someone may get hurt from my errant shots...

I hope you are doing well yourself!

I have no problem paying parts of my dues if they are maintaining the course. But they let everyone go except one maintenance guy. It is not possible for one person to maintain a 27-hole course. 

I can quit my club and play elsewhere, but there isn’t even a person to contact since everyone is gone.

@SteveH At least your club is still maintaining/improving the course. I wouldn’t mind paying my dues if that’s what my club is doing! They even want to charge the F&B minimum when the clubhouse is closed. I just looked at my bill - they are tagging on a trail fee too.

Wow... your club seemed to devolve into some type of chaotic dystopian nightmare pretty quickly.See Tv Show GIF by Apple TV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...