5 posts / 721 viewsLast Reply

First time poster here and I can't seem to make up my mind between the Cobra F-Max irons/hybrids or the Callaway Steelhead XR irons/hybrids combo sets on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods.  I am a 48 yr old high handicapper just trying to break 100 each time out (not very successful normally) and am looking to upgrade from some 10-12 year old Tommy Armour clubs.  Any thoughts/advice/opinions/reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TST! The obvious first question would be ....have you hit them both? It’s the only definite way to make a solid, informed decision. If you’re not going to test them...FWIW I played the Callaway Steelhead irons and didn’t care for the very ‘clunky’ sound they made. Cheers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, 4_Porters said:

First time poster here and I can't seem to make up my mind between the Cobra F-Max irons/hybrids or the Callaway Steelhead XR irons/hybrids combo sets on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods.  I am a 48 yr old high handicapper just trying to break 100 each time out (not very successful normally) and am looking to upgrade from some 10-12 year old Tommy Armour clubs.  Any thoughts/advice/opinions/reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TST.   @vinsk gave you some great advice.   I realize with the down time everyone has right now it is the optimum time to practice.   You don't want to make a mistake and buy a set of clubs w/o testing them and then realize you don't like them.    Check and see Dick's  return policy.     

Good luck

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST. I would recommend the Cobra. I have a friend who is a high handicapper who just bought a complete set of the Cobra F-Max, got a great deal at Dicks, and he loves them. I have tried the clubs and like them as well. But as said above you really need to go to Dicks, or elsewhere, and hit both sets of clubs, see which ones you like.

I've played Cobra clubs for years, all my woods and driver are Cobra. I did however switch my irons to Cleveland HB Launchers because I really like the hybrid design. I shoot in the 90s myself, I need all the help I can get.

Best of luck and enjoy the search.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • The USGA states in their guide to setting up a tournament course: "An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade.  In no case should holes be located in tricky places or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed.  A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole." Of course, this guide is for tournaments but it seems reasonable to expect day-to-day play to generally meet these parameters.  Unfortunately, courses don't always practice what the USGA preaches. Some older greens have slopes that approach unplayable condition when the green speeds are increased to modern standards.  Unfortunately, no course wants to tell everyone, "Our greens are rolling at a 6 on the Stimp Meter!!" When I play, I expect some hole locations to be very challenging and some less. A two putt should never be automatic on every green.  I am not, however, a masochist.  If a course insists on setting the hole locations in extreme positions or brings the green's speed beyond what the design can accommodate, I am with you, vote with your feet and find another place to play.  
    • Denny - I finally got around to checking my group golfer account for the first time since April, and they have extended my vouchers from early May to November 1. Which makes it on me to use them - I'm actually pretty excited having looked them up, it is a little bit like free golf (since I had kind of written this off )
    • I disagree. I’ll go on the record now and say he’s changing people’s perceptions of what the ideal golf body is (in fact I might have already said/wrote this). If nothing changes on the PGA Tour to reduce the viability of this strategy, in 10-20 years you’re going to see bigger, bulkier guys become the norm on tour, much like Tiger’s success inspired a generation of golfers to work out and hit the ball far with lean muscle. Tiger, remember, had his share of critics for approaching fitness in golf different than the norm. The media and some others commenting on this seem to make it out to be a novelty, like Bryson is a circus act because he’s quirky, but I bet there are coaches out there quietly taking notes right now.
    • And, they got zero camera coverage.
    • Just pulled the trigger on some used JPX 900 Forged irons! I currently have Mizuno MX-100s, which I've had for over 10 years so figured it was time for an update. I got those for cheaper than I was expecting so I went ahead and bought a 54/58 degree SM7 Vokey wedge. Excited to put these in the bag in the next few days as both of my current wedges are 10+ years old.    Tonight, I'm hoping to get out on the range and work on few things: 1. (Flow) Looking to move upper body a few inches back on backswing and before the downswing shifting weight onto left side. I'm hoping to  2. Slower transition to help with my "flow" 3. Hands slightly forward at address   Will get a few videos up from the range session tonight!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Daniel-J
      Daniel-J
      (30 years old)
    2. internal911
      internal911
      (40 years old)
    3. ipadair
      ipadair
      (9 years old)
    4. jwsmith6
      jwsmith6
      (32 years old)
    5. nigel
      nigel
      (62 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...