IGNORED

My Swing (DuckDuckFoose)

DuckDuckFoose

• Administrator

Yeah. You’re gripping almost off the end of the grip, and yeah, less angled up your palm. Just a little.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seem to fall back into bad habits when it hit the course. Ball flight looks better after adjusting my grip the way my Evolvr coach told me too. Will give him an update in a few days, and see what he would like me to work on first.  

• Administrator

Good plan. Use this topic to note your feels, drills, experiences, etc. But since you're working with your Evolvr instructor, ignore advice here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Sent another couple videos in. He wants to me have a little stronger grip in the right hand, and a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing. Said I probabaly might starting hitting some pulls, and pull draws, so I'll be working on that for the time being. I do have a question though, I've seen on this site that a stronger grip promotes a shallower swing, and more in to out path. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why? 

4 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Sent another couple videos in. He wants to me have a little stronger grip in the right hand, and a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing. Said I probabaly might starting hitting some pulls, and pull draws, so I'll be working on that for the time being. I do have a question though, I've seen on this site that a stronger grip promotes a shallower swing, and more in to out path. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why? 

It’s not the grip per se, but more the combination of flattening the wrist in transition and swinging more around instead of down that shallows. For some like me, a stronger grip helps this.

This post in the COVID practice thread discusses it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

I do have a question though, I've seen on this site that a stronger grip promotes a shallower swing, and more in to out path. I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me why? 

It can facilitate an outward path because path is instinctual. The club face is more closed relative to your hands with a stronger grip, so you’ll end up swinging more out to keep the face more open at impact.

It doesn’t mean you can’t get steep with a strong grip, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, Effington said:

Hey just curious, how are you allocating your golf time?  What I mean is, how much do you practice at home/range compared to being on a course?

Pretty much have been just working on what my Evolvr coach told me to do at home. I'd say about 30 mins to an hour a day. Try to get out on the course a couple times a week, weather permitting. I think I've played about 8 rounds this year in Upstate New York which isn't too bad given the weather weve had so far. 

17 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Pretty much have been just working on what my Evolvr coach told me to do at home. I'd say about 30 mins to an hour a day. Try to get out on the course a couple times a week, weather permitting. I think I've played about 8 rounds this year in Upstate New York which isn't too bad given the weather weve had so far. 

Wow, that's great.  I know people on this website come from a wide range of life situations, but being able to fit in 2 rounds a week when other things are going on in life is a good number.

(edited)

Couple more videos I sent to my Evolvr coach. He wants me to get a flatter left wrist at the top, more flexion in the left wrist on the downswing, and make the right hand a little stronger to go with the left hand he had me go a little stronger on. The stronger grip he wanted me to use was easier to implement than the other two changes he'd like to see. I've been trying to work them slowly, and havent been able to really do them with any speed. I'd be lying if I said I was 100 percent confident in all the changes, but I'm not the teaching pro, Gotta trust him and keep working at it... He said I'd probabaly have a lot of pulls and pull draws, which I have been, and well address those when I hammer the other stuff out.

Edited by DuckDuckFoose
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

Couple more videos I sent to my Evolvr coach. He wants me to get a flatter left wrist at the top, more flexion in the left wrist on the downswing, and make the right hand a little stronger to go with the left hand he had me go a little stronger on. The stronger grip he wanted me to use was easier to implement than the other two changes he'd like to see. I've been trying to work them slowly, and havent been able to really do them with any speed. I'd be lying if I said I was 100 percent confident in all the changes, but I'm not the teaching pro, Gotta trust him and keep working at it... He said I'd probabaly have a lot of pulls and pull draws, which I have been, and well address those when I hammer the other stuff out.

Be patient with changes. Some can take a while. Work on them in slower motion too. It really helps long term.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Be patient with changes. Some can take a while. Work on them in slower motion too. It really helps long term.

Oh for sure, Rome wasnt built in a day.

During a round of golf do I still keep working on my swing changes even if they're having an adverse effect on my scoring or do I need to stay off the course and hammer down the changes first? Seems like I'd never play golf if I implemented the latter. 

15 minutes ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

During a round of golf do I still keep working on my swing changes even if they're having an adverse effect on my scoring or do I need to stay off the course and hammer down the changes first? Seems like I'd never play golf if I implemented the latter. 

When you play golf, play golf. Stick with a swing thought and feel what you need to feel, but you’re just going to have to play.

You’re right, you’ll never play any golf if you wait until your swing changes are hammered down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, DuckDuckFoose said:

IMO, when playing you should play and try not to think about the swing changes. During the practice sessions I like to figure out a feeling/swing thought that helps me move in the right direction towards the specific swing change, but once I'm on the course, it's just play mode keeping that feeling in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Working with shorter swings to get the feel of a flat left wrist. Tough trying to get everything to work together when you're only thinking about one thing to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been to the range about 5 times, and have been working with foam balls in the garage, trying to hit a ball to the right of the alignment stick that's inline with my setup. Still having a pretty tough time doing it, but making some progress. Pretty much only working on a 9 to 3 swing so far. I do let myself take some full cuts with the big stick for about the last 7 to 10 balls though. I'll probabaly get back in touch with my evolvr coach in another couple week or so after really hammering down the drill he gave me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been pulling alot doing the stick drill, swing looks more than the 9 to 3 I was instructed to focus on, but man it feel likes 9 to 3 when I swing. Not really sure what causes that. Sent the videos in to see if I'm doing the drill correctly, or if anyone here is informed on using an alignment stick and trying to start the ball right or left of it, could let me know if it looks correct.