IGNORED

Most Interesting Golf Match You’ve Ever Played

What’s the most interesting golf match you’ve played? Whether it’s something that happened, or the results of the match, let’s hear it. Here’s mine. One of my teammates and I played a really exciting 9-hole match last November. I may have mentioned this. My double-double start wasn’t at all promising, especially since my opponent started bogey-par. On to the third, where we both hit the green. We were practically on the same line, but I was just inside him. He three-putts for bogey, I two-putt for par. Only two down. On the par-5 fourth, I’m sitting pretty on the green in three, about 15 feet, and he sits three in the woods. I three-putt, and he makes a decent bogey, still keeping me down two strokes. The fifth is where I turn it around. I’m sitting two just short, he sits two in the bunker. This time I capitalize on his double bogey by making par. Two stroke swing, back to a tie. On to the sixth. He has the advantage, on the dance floor in regulation, myself off. I take three to get down, and he does the same despite having a 20-footer for birdie. Still tied with three left, and on to probably my strongest hole on the front, the par-3 seventh. Same deal as the third, except this time I’m further away, about 40 feet out. My opponent tries to get into my head by telling me not to three-putt like he did earlier. I respond by drilling my birdie putt, and he makes par. Up one with two to play! For only the second time, we both miss the green. He gets up-and-down, and I do not. Back to a tie with one to play. We both play a solid hole. He taps in for bogey while I look at my ten-foot birdie putt, needing two putts for the win. I hit a decent putt, but missed the tap in somehow and make bogey as well. We tie, and decide to putt off with a 30-footer, closest to wins. My opponent hits an okay putt to four feet, but I outdo him by two feet, taking the dub. In the end, we both shot a 43, excellent scores by either of our standards. I love playing a close match, especially when both me and my opponent are playing well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In an interclub GAP match, I was about 40 playing a gentleman about 70-75.  I might have been a 1 or 2 HcP.  It was tight the whole round.  Just back and forth.  Tough match.  About even par.  Gentlemanly but competitive.  Nice guy. I jarred one for a 2 on a par 5 to go 2 up with three to go.  Thinking game over. Pro comes out to congratulate me.  I says to him, this fellow is tough.  He says to me, well he has won the club champ ever since I got here.  I asked when was that?  He says....well, it was 1961 or 62.  My competitor birdied the next two tough holes and parred the last to my par, par, par.  It just seemed right that we halved on his home course.   I was hitting wedge and this fierce competitor was hitting long irons.  A lesson of sorts.

I also recall being a sophomore beating two seniors in HS who were undefeated.  I started with a snowman.  An 8.  An f'ing 8.   I shot 34.  My coach came up to me on the 8th green to ask how it was going.  I said it was over.  He said very apologetically, "I am sorry, I put you in as number 1 because nobody beat these two".   I looked at him for a long time and said, it was over on the 7th.  I won.  His jaw dropped.  I'll never forget his face.  He threw me in to lose.

Reminiscing about many of the great matches I have participated, one I will always remember, was an annual Club Match with our neighboring club.

I was playing very well and on the second day, the final nine holes was individual format. We both par the tenth hole, I reached the next hole (par 5) in two and have a 15ft eagle attempt. My opponent makes a thirty foot birdie and I lip out. We par the next hole. Then on the next par 4 I hit the green but was long about 90 feet away. My team mate asked me how I felt about this putt facing me and I said I feel pretty good. I drain it and take a one up lead. Next hole was halved, I then birdie the next par 3 to go two up.

The on the next par 5, I'm on in regulation and my opponent had missed the green left. This left him in the red staked penalty which was native grass (2 ft high) He finds his ball and has very little chance to advance, least get a club on the ball, but elects to take a whack at it. I stood and observed from the back of the green.

He then starts taking practice swings cutting the tall grass above where his ball lies. I balk that he was improving his lie. Both club pros along with many other members are observing. The opponent claims he didn't breach any rule and this upsets me. Neither pro stepped up to clarify the situation, which also makes me mad.

He saves a bogey and I 3 jack missing a 3 footer to close the match. We then hit perfect tee shots and have wedge approaches to a back pin. I airmail the pin and end up in the back bunker, now shortsided and in teh worst bunker on the course (no sand, hard pan with pebbles)

With about fifty members observing, my opponent is away and lags to the hole. I concede his par and now face my grim situation playing from the bunker. There was a slim chance if I hit the pin it could stop within a reasonable distance to hole the putt. Missing the pin would most likely leave me 20-30 away as the pin location was on an elevated plateau and would roll out a long way.

I then hit a low spinner dead on, takes one hop, hit the flagstick and drops. The gallery went nuts as I turn to them and yell "How do you like me Now!"

Edited by iacas
fixed screwed up spacing. Please don't do that John.

My most memorable match was the championship of our club's flighted match play tournament. I had been playing really good golf for a couple months and was cruising to an easy title victory, up 4 with 4 holes to play.

On 15, I bogeyed to my opponents par. Up 3

On 16, I gagged a 2 1/2 footer for par that would have given me the championship. Up 2

On 17 - a short par 3, I missed the green by a mile left and chunked my chip. Couldn't get up and down from there and doubled the hole, when a bogey would have given me the win. 

On 18, my head is spinning with terrible thoughts. I am thinking about how embarrassing it will be when word spreads that I choked away a dormie 4 lead and kicking myself for missed opportunities. Somehow, I manage to hit a great drive on the par 5 hole and am left with 190 yards to the pin over water. I decide I have to go for it. On the backswing, I remember feeling a slight buckling in my knee. 9 times out 10, that is a precursor to a terrible shot - a weak slice into the water, perhaps. Miraculously, the center of my clubface finds the ball with perfect contact. As the ball ascends towards the green, I just remember feeling an incredible sense of relief. My ball finishes about 20 feet away for eagle, close enough that even in my wrecked mental state, I manage to close out the match with a conceded birdie.

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I then hit a low spinner dead on, takes one hop, hit the flagstick and drops.
The gallery went nuts as I turn to them and yell "How do you like me Now!"  

John, it seems you must have a flair for the dramatic. Some people can go a lifetime without closing a match out on a chip-in, and you have done it at least twice.

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

John, it seems you must have a flair for the dramatic.

It's all for the Luv of the Game.  :content:
The chip in on the 18th hole at Moon Valley is right at the top of my list also...  :whistle:

I once was in a high stakes game with a friend and his buddy who was the course Pro.
We were getting our butts kicked thanks to my sorry ass partner playing poorly.
I kept pressing the bet up knowing I still had something in the bag to break even.
That break came on the 17th hole a long par 4. I holed a 50ft foot to win over $350 and break even for the day. 
Dumb Ass Luck IMO, I should have written the day off as a loss when we were $50 down after the turn.

I have posted about this before on this forum. 

We had a regular threesome. We played just about every weekend. I always won. 

Tired of losing, my two golf partners brought in their ringer. 

Short version; I got off to bad start, and fell two strokes back of said ringer. For the next 16 holes I played him even, teeing off the 18th, still two strokes behind. My regular golf buds were all smiles. 

The 18th green sloped away, into a water hazard. I laid up, and Ringer went for the green. His ball went deep into the hazard.

I hit a lob that stayed on the green. Made my 1 putt. Ringer took his dop, missed his putts, and I walked off the green with a one stroke win. 

I don't readily remember the actual final scores, but we both scored in the 70s. 

I do remember I asked him for a rematch, and he declined. Never ran into him again. 

On 4/12/2020 at 8:01 PM, dagolfer18 said:

What’s the most interesting golf match you’ve played? Whether it’s something that happened, or the results of the match, let’s hear it. Here’s mine.

One of my teammates and I played a really exciting 9-hole match last November. I may have mentioned this. My double-double start wasn’t at all promising, especially since my opponent started bogey-par. On to the third, where we both hit the green. We were practically on the same line, but I was just inside him. He three-putts for bogey, I two-putt for par. Only two down.

On the par-5 fourth, I’m sitting pretty on the green in three, about 15 feet, and he sits three in the woods. I three-putt, and he makes a decent bogey, still keeping me down two strokes. The fifth is where I turn it around. I’m sitting two just short, he sits two in the bunker. This time I capitalize on his double bogey by making par. Two stroke swing, back to a tie.

On to the sixth. He has the advantage, on the dance floor in regulation, myself off. I take three to get down, and he does the same despite having a 20-footer for birdie. Still tied with three left, and on to probably my strongest hole on the front, the par-3 seventh. Same deal as the third, except this time I’m further away, about 40 feet out. My opponent tries to get into my head by telling me not to three-putt like he did earlier. I respond by drilling my birdie putt, and he makes par. Up one with two to play!

For only the second time, we both miss the green. He gets up-and-down, and I do not. Back to a tie with one to play. We both play a solid hole. He taps in for bogey while I look at my ten-foot birdie putt, needing two putts for the win. I hit a decent putt, but missed the tap in somehow and make bogey as well. We tie, and decide to putt off with a 30-footer, closest to wins. My opponent hits an okay putt to four feet, but I outdo him by two feet, taking the dub.

In the end, we both shot a 43, excellent scores by either of our standards. I love playing a close match, especially when both me and my opponent are playing well.

Dude, as much as you post you really need to use paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to read!

To answer the question, the next match I play will be the most interesting. After this COVID-19 lockdown I will appreciate it more than I ever have in the past.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Dude, as much as you post you really need to use paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to read!

Now that I think about it, it also makes the text look neater too. Will definitely implement paragraphs in my longer posts in the future.

8 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

Now that I think about it, it also makes the text look neater too. Will definitely implement paragraphs in my longer posts in the future.

Thanks. I does make it much easier to read. I tried to read Robinson Crusoe once in its original form. No paragraphs and very little punctuation. Gave me a big headache.

• 9 months later...

I just remembered two more interesting matches I’ve had in the past year or so. Actually, both of them were last summer. 

1)  I remember one day, my dad and I were paired up with another guy, John, on the first tee. Through nine holes, my dad and I had shot 40, John shot 41. My dad had to quit, but John and I continued on to the back. I made eight straight bogeys and I still was up one stroke. My shot on 18 finished just short of the green, John’s was in the bunker. 

I thinned my chip and slightly over cooked the next one, and John hit a solid bunker shot. We were about the same distance out, but John was slightly away. His putt lipped out, and he tapped in for a total 86. My putt stopped an inch short of the hole, and I tapped in for the same score. I shot 40-46, John 41-45. That was a close match the whole time!

Alright, here’s the second one!

2) This was actually in a tournament last summer. Remember Jack, that teammate who I’m ultra competitive with? He was three groups behind me, and after getting bad beaten by him at Forest Oaks (In constant drizzle, 87 me, 85 him), I wanted revenge. I finished 3-5 (par-bogey) to shoot a 91, pretty darn good for the golf course we were playing. By the time I finished and turned in my scorecard, Jack was standing on the 18th tee needing a par to top me. The last hole is a tough par 4, so not likely.

But his drive split the fairway, and he had only 160 in, all carry. He hit it in the bunker guarding short-right. Not fifteen minutes earlier, I had been in that same bunker, and it’s so deep you can’t even see the pin. He hit it to five feet, a great shot given the circumstances. He made it look easy by rolling it in to beat me yet again, by one stroke. A great match nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother lives in West Palm Beach and knows the Pro at The Breakers. He took us out for a free round, best course I ever played, couldn't thank him enough. BTW, he beat the pants off both my brother and myself, fun to watch him hit a drive.

Not a match that I participated in, but I was the official referee (or something?).

I don't have that many friends who play golf. Two of them, I'd guess something like 25-35 handicap range (typically score over 100), constantly bicker about who is the better player. So after one particularly contentious round, they agreed to play a high-stakes skins game. I think it might have been $20/skin which is big money compared to their normal $1/skin weekend matches. They also agreed to $100 greenies. It was around the time of the original Match (Tiger vs. Phil), so we called it "shitty Tiger vs. Phil".

I don't remember all that much specifically, except the golf was terrible. The high-stakes pressure plus high-handicap golfers was highly entertaining. They were topping tee shots, chunking approaches, and grinding over 4-foot putts for double bogey with multiple skins on the line (I think I was around a 19 handicap at the time, so it's not like I was much better). It was also excessively slow, they only made it through 12 holes before it got too dark to continue. We did not return on another day to finish the match.

I think in the end the winner was up $100 or something. No one won a greenie.

I'd have to say it was back in 2009.  I was playing in a county run match play event.  To set it up, everybody had to play a stroke-play qualifying event.  There were supposed to be 4 flights (A, B, C & D)... but due to a lack of interest, they cut it down to 3 flights instead.  With my course handicap at 29, I went out and shot a 91 in the qualifying round.  To that point, it was easily one of the best rounds of my life.  I had fully expected to finish dead last in qualifying.  In what was supposed to be a 16 person bracket... only 11 players got entered in to C Flight.  Like I said... I was supposed to be in D Flight, but... they had eliminated that entirely.  Of the 11 players in C Flight... I had qualified 5th, which meant I got a bye in to the second round of match play.

In that second round, I was playing against someone with a handicap right around 18.0 or so.  My handicap at the time was 26.4 after having shot the round of my life.  As I left the house that morning, I told my wife it would probably be a pretty quick day because it was straight up match play.  No strokes.  Since it was flighted and the index range was supposed to have been 14.0 - 18.9 for C Flight... the flights all played straight up.  I figured I'd be done by the 12th or 13th hole.  Instead, it ended up being (to this point) one of the more memorable matches I've ever played.

I jumped out to a very quick 3 up lead through 3 holes going par - bogey - par.    We halved the 4th hole with bogeys and he beat my par with a birdie on the 5th hole.  I was 2 up at that point.  I went on a run of bogeys at that point.  I won the 6th with bogey (3 up)... lost the 7th with bogey (2 up)... halved the 8th with bogey (2 up) and lost the 9th with bogey (1 up).  

Making the turn... I knew I was going to need to continue playing fairly well to have a shot.  Unfortunately, that didn't really happen.  I conceded the 10th hole after my 8th shot (all square)... bogeyed the 11th hole (1 down) and then doubled the 12th hole (2 down).  My nerves were all over the place at that point and I was beginning to get down.

I caught a break on the 13th when my double beat his triple to get me back to just 1 down.  I then made a great par of the 14th hole to get the match back to all square.  My bogey on the 15th put me back 1 down... and then a par on the 16th got the match back to all square again.

The toughest hole on the course (for me) at that point was the 17th.  It was a straight hole, but the tee was tucked up against the woods on the left side and I played a big fade (slice)... so, I never really scored well on that hole.  The same held true there as I put 2 balls in to the woods off the tee (1 left and 1 right) before conceding to my opponent who had hit his tee shot dead down the center and was inside of 100 yards.  Back to 1 down with just the 18th to play.

On the final tee, I hit my 5 iron in to the fairway and left myself about 115 yards to the hole.  My opponent cut the corner over the pond and had about 60 yards to go.  My pitching wedge was pushed right and landed in the bunker.  His approach was thin and went over the back of the green.  He was away.  His chip from the back of the green scared the hole but ran past by about 11 feet, leaving a pretty easy, uphill putt.  I had nowhere to really land the ball to get it anywhere near the hole.  I knew my best bet was to just blast it out and let it run left of the hole which would leave me an uphill putt as well.  I managed to get it out of the bunker, but it caught the rough just before the fringe and killed it.  I only had about 10 feet or so... but it was a curler from above the hole.  My opponent missed his par putt meaning I needed to make mine to continue the match.  With all the pressure on me... my ball never had a chance to miss and we went back to the 1st hole.

From there, it was pretty quick work for me.  I hit a 3 wood in to the fairway... a 9 iron from about 120 to the right side of the green... and 2 putts gave me a par while my opponent struggled to get the ball up & down from long & right.

The magic continued 6 days later when I beat the #1 seed (who was a 14.5 index) by a 5 & 3 final margin.  In the 36 hole final just about 2 weeks later, I held my own through 18 holes, but then fell apart.  The #2 seed beat me 6 & 4 that afternoon.  I was 2 up through 7 holes, but I gave up the lead on the 11th hole and never saw it again.

Still... going on 12 years later, I remember the first match of that event vividly.  I've still got the scorecard (which helped in writing this post).

CY

• Thanks 1

I can think of a couple from last year....not in a tourney or a sanctioned match but it was with one of my regular playing partners who is always striving to beat me.

We started off at one of our favorite local courses and it was a battle right from the beginning with matching scores up until the 5th hole. (Both went Par-DB-Par-Bog).  I went down two shots on Hole 5 with a brutal Triple but gained a shot back by the end of the front 9.  At the turn I was 1 back (44 v 43).  I had a great par to start on 10, but alas, my FC made a birdie leaving me two back.  A similar story on hole 11 where I bogeyed and he parred, now 3 shots behind

Fast forward to Hole 15 where I am 3 shots down with 4 holes to go (15) long but straight/wide Par 4,  (16) A monster Par 5 that can be tough to get there in 3 at times, (17) short par 3 but can be tricky, and (18) which is a long up hill Par 4 with a severely sloped back to front green.   Hole 15 - Both hit good drives, he sticks his 15' away and I miss the green.  I chip on and 2 putt for my bogey lamenting the fact I will likely be down 4 shots with 3 to go.  Surprisingly, he 3 jacks to match my bogey.  3 shots back with 3 to go.

Hole 16 - I hit two pretty good shots to put me in firing distance to the green, he was hitting 3 off the tee.  I ended up making a 1 putt par, he doubles.   Sweet....I am now 1 shot back with 2 holes.   Hole 17 - My tee shot finds back edge of green, he misses right.  I 2 putt for the par, and he fails to get up and down and manages a bogey.   Brought it back to even with 1 hole to play.  I smoke a drive up the hill leaving me a wedge, he's behind me.  Both miss our approaches, but I get up and down for my par and he doesn't and ends up with bogey.   

He thought he had me dead to rights but admitted that the 3 putt from 15' tilted him.   I took pride in my resilience in having one of my better finishes by finishing the round with 3 consecutive pars.  

A side note, we were playing with 2 other buddies with a similar skill level (HDCP ranges from 17-20) and all 4 of us heading into the 18th were all tied....I don't think I have ever seen that before with my group. 

Less detailed story for this one but same buddy....we go into 18 and he is up by 3 shots and won't let me hear the end of it.   Long story short, I birdied (4) the hole while he tripled (8) which had me win by 1 shot.   He still has nightmares about that one.