Nail

What Starts the Golf Swing?

15 posts / 912 viewsLast Reply

Hi guys, what, in your opinion starts the golf swing or takeaway. Is it a moveaway with the clubhead, is it the hips? Or do you start by turning the shoulders? Any teachers here, what do you recommend or is it different for everyone?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think this is going to be a very "feel" based thing which will vary by player. I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer.

Day 10 of the Covid-19 30 Day Practice plan talked about finding a trigger that worked for you. 

For me personally the first thing I like to feel is my hands moving back and in towards my right leg and the clubhead staying outside my hands on the way back, because I used to roll the clubface open on the way back. 

I've never thought about my body leading/initiating the golf swing, I've always thought about my hands to initiate the swing.

In the backswing I think of my connected torso-arms going back, and in the downswing  I think of my connected torso-arms going down. My hips move too, especially in the downswing, but I don't think about them. 80% of the time when my swing is not working it is because my torso and my arms are not connected (arms move independently). The other 20% of the time I am swaying on the backswing.

I just had a swing analysis in Feb and for me, takeaway is initiated by my shoulders and downswing by my lower body (hips and quads). 

For me it's the club head.  I try to follow the head with everything else...winding up from the top down and then unwinding exactly the opposite.  That being said;  I suspect, on full shots, that it's my shoulders that get things going.  

Your brain :smartass:

The first conscious move I make in the takeaway is to hinge my wrists, which funny enough, happens slowly enough that I’m not fully hinged until A4. I don’t use a trigger; I prefer to stay loose and tend to just bounce around after a couple of waggles and swing.

In the full swing, for me it’s a subtle shift of weight from the front to back foot. In putting, I do a forward press.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

The golfer. 🙂

The feeling or whatever is different for everyone.

Over half of my swings are started by one of my inner demons. That is the only rational explanation for mishits.

5 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Over half of my swings are started by one of my inner demons. That is the only rational explanation for mishits.

What about the other half?😀

For better or worse, I feel the start of my golf swing with the movement of my left (front) shoulder down toward my chest. The rest of it just follows.

For me, it's usually a feeling of crippling self doubt.

I am trying really hard to change this.

I tilt my trail knee toward the target a little to direct pressure to the inside of my trail foot.