IGNORED

How Would You Play This Hole (from LSW Twitter)?

Note: This thread is 1465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Any reason you wouldn't hit driver over the left bunker? Only would be 217 to carry it from the 344 tees, and if your 3 wood could land with or past the bunker shouldn't your driver carry 220+?

Good point, but I can miss on both sides with a driver so a little bit of defense for me, if a 3-wood gets me within a full wedge that's a better position for me and don't see a need to hit driver, which would also give me an awkward distance as I'm not great at non-full swing wedges at the moment.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, klineka said:

This really resonates with me and highlights something I'm not doing. I miss to the right way more than I miss to the left with driver (so far this year in 5 rounds i'm 17.4% left, 32.6% fairway, and 50.0% right) but I still have been aiming for the center of my shot zone because of those couple shots that pull left and then the really rare snap hook left. Since I give myself the penalty buffer even further left of my shot zone, if I aimed at the middle of the left half of my shot zone, I would still have room to the left if I pulled it (most of my pulls are straight pulls with little to no draw), plus it would give me a much greater chance of hitting the fairway with my normal fade, and even some of the bigger slices might only be a couple steps into the rough.

Yea, if you have a tendency to fade the ball, aiming to accommodate your pull/hook miss that you might hit 10-15% of the time is not the right way to do it, IMO, especially if you’re twice as likely to hit the ball to the right than your are to the left.

GameGolf has me missing the fairway ~30% left and ~30% right, and that’s with me aiming at the right edge most of the time so that my best drives end up in the right rough and letting the pushed drive end up on another hole. I’m pretty confident that I’m doing it the right way.

The only other decision I make on the tee is whether it’s worth hitting driver on a particular hole if my push is guaranteed to be lost or OB. Most of the time I won’t hit it unless I know that miss is going to end up in another fairway or something.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Im playing the front tee box and aiming at the center of the green, going with driver. A miss left, the trees will swallow but should leave an easy pitch. A miss right will catch the greenside bunker. Long looks ok, so if I catch it, it looks to be ok. Should get birdie quite a bit. 🍻

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 minutes ago, JGus said:

Good point, but I can miss on both sides with a driver so a little bit of defense for me, if a 3-wood gets me within a full wedge that's a better position for me and don't see a need to hit driver, which would also give me an awkward distance as I'm not great at non-full swing wedges at the moment.

There is like 70 yards of width once you clear that bunker, that should be enough to accommodate a miss on both sides right?

Also if you hit a drive 240, you would still have like 100 yards, wouldnt that be a fairly full wedge shot?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Playing from the 360ish tee, I'm hitting my driver towards the right fairway bunker. That should leave me well short of it with an 8 - 9 iron in depending on how well I hit it. The real danger for me is pull into the left bunker.

- Shane

2 minutes ago, klineka said:

There is like 70 yards of width once you clear that bunker, that should be enough to accommodate a miss on both sides right?

Also if you hit a drive 240, you would still have like 100 yards, wouldnt that be a fairly full wedge shot?

It could if the miss stayed in play.  My answer is also based off of it being my first time playing the hole, I think I would be a little more cautious, now if it was a hole I played numerous times my answer would probably be a driver over the bunker.

Gus
---------------

16 hours ago, David in FL said:

What that skinny little bastard @billchao doesn’t tell you is that he hits the ball a looooong way!   😑

I don't tell people I can hit the ball far because they'll inevitably tell me I should be a better golfer than I am and I got tired of the "You must suck around the greens" type of discussions. My short game and putting is actually pretty good for my handicap level, I just miss the ball a long way.

Plus I don't consider myself a long hitter, just longer than your typical amateur. I'm not even close to the longest hitter I know - I've seen @saevel25 hit the golf ball :bugout:

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

From the 363yd tee, I'd play my driver. Average carry about 220-230, and a fade/slice. I'm aiming at the right edge of the bunker to put my ball on the right side of the fairway on the '+25' bit. Allows for the slope into the fairway middle.

I love my 7 iron, which I hit 140-145 clean and straight, and I'm aiming for the back of the green. Gives me plenty of green to work with if short, while taking the bunkers out of play. Or go with an 8 iron if pin position is middle or front (aiming middle).

Edited by mellison24

Note: This thread is 1465 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!