IGNORED

Donald Ross Restorations

Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Going to be in Savannah GA here in a few weeks and am wondering if Beacon Park is a course I should check out. Seeing mixed reviews.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/25/2020 at 4:06 PM, Esox said:

Here in the Detroit area we are fortunate to have a good number of Ross courses, including a couple City Of Detroit Muni tracks.All the rest I am aware of are private clubs, but I have been fortunate enough to play most of them back in the 80's and 90's. Unfortunately one, Chandler Park was irreparably harmed when they built I-94 back in the 50's. But one Detroit Muni that isn't even in the City itself is still intact, Rogell Golf Course, next to the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak is a fairly unmolested Ross course. Given the entire areas lack of natural elevation changes, without excessive use of bulldozers, Ross displays his mastery of deception with false fronts etc. Country Club of Detroit (private and actually in Grosse Pointe) is a real gem,and a prime example of Ross' genius on flat landscape..

Are you referring to Rackham Golf Course next to the Detroit Zoo?  I think Rogell is in the 7 Mile & Lasher area.  I believe both are Donald Ross.

I've played Rackham and it is a decent course.  Have never played Rogell.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, StuM said:

Are you referring to Rackham Golf Course next to the Detroit Zoo?  I think Rogell is in the 7 Mile & Lasher area.  I believe both are Donald Ross.

I've played Rackham and it is a decent course.  Have never played Rogell.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.Rakham is the one next to the Zoo.  Rogell was another interesting Ross design that has unfortunately been lost, closed years ago.

GL_profile_pic_FB.jpg?v=20171227095456

The 18-hole Rogell course at the Rogell Golf Course facility in Detroit, features yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 0. The course...

On 7/15/2020 at 1:46 PM, GolfLug said:

Ahahh..! Always wondered how some the big names have so many course credits to their banner.

I'm sure that many name-brand "designer" courses today just use distinctive elements preferred by the named designer. The named designer might just show up for a photo op one day on the course. There is a Gary Player course in Connecticut (Lyman Orchards) that has photos of Gary putting on one of the greens. Truth is, he just flew in by helicopter one day, got out, and hit a mid iron to the green, putted out and left for a tournament in Westchester. Probably had little or nothing to do with the actual planning and design of the course. But I do think Ross was more of a "hands on" guy.

Note: This thread is 1248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!