IGNORED

When People Hit Into You…

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
1 hour ago, klineka said:

Regardless of how slow a group in front of you is going, it's never justified to hit into them on purpose.

You hit the nail on the head. This is the exact point I was getting at in my original post. And we do believe that they hit into us on purpose.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

How else can you get hit into besides wayward shots and someone behind you?

Your proper position on the golf course is directly behind the group in front of you.  Not directly in front of the group behind you.  

Just because someone is behind me, doesn’t mean that I’m holding them up if I’m in my proper position on the course...

And, FWIW, there aren’t too many here who are as pace of play militant as I am.  ;-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Your proper position on the golf course is directly behind the group in front of you.  Not directly in front of the group behind you.  

Just because someone is behind me, doesn’t mean that I’m holding them up if I’m in my proper position on the course...

And, FWIW, there aren’t too many here who are as pace of play militant as I am.  ;-)

I completely agree and said so a couple of posts ago. If you are on someone else's tail, you aren't the one holding anything up

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

What do you do if you are very long hitter. I have about four par 4's at my home course that I can carry. One in particular is sometimes a dilemma. It is a dogleg to the right and the entire left side is OB adjacent to driving range. I play a little draw but my miss is a push. The best play for me is to play it straight at the green and fly over the trees. However the next tee box is to right of green about 40 yards basically pin high. Is it more rude to the people behind me to wait on my tee box until they have finished teeing off the next hole? Or is it worse if I end up with an errant push that comes near that tee box? The one time I really almost hit someone there they stayed there until I drove up. Turned out they weren't mad but just wanted to see who the heck hit it that far lol. I was still pretty worried. I know if it feels like I am being pushed hard I feel bad for waiting for people to clear the green. Sometimes just end up hitting an iron to keep it moving.

I hit into someone once by accident. I was 200yd from the edge of the green (raised) and I was going to lay up with my 3w, which I usually hit about 180. I hit the ball perfectly and it somehow bounced onto the green and rolled right by the group of ladies who were putting. I drove up to apologize immediately and they were cool about it. Since then, I make sure people are way out of my range before I hit anything.

Another time I was stuck behind a group of 4some and a group of 3some behind me kept hitting close to me while I was waiting on the fairway. I gave them the “WTH” gesture and they just laughed. The 2nd time they did that, I called the proshop to send the marshall. When it happened the 3rd time, 3 balls landed by my cart, so I knew they did it on purpose. I got pissed so I hit all 3 balls back to them with at least an extra 30yds back and they had to go back to retrieve their balls. Then the marshall showed up and gave them a talk. They stayed far away from me for the rest of the round and whenever they see me around the club house too. I am not proud that I lost my cool and hit their balls, but if it happens again, I will just pick up the balls and move on.

Edited by FlyingAce

My uncle lost an eye in a golf accident so the possibility of been killed or at least permanently injured is very real. In the 20 years of working at the golf course I have seen more than a few people hit with golf balls. A few were knocked out cold and a good friend of mine got several stitches. To make light of the dangers of hitting into people is stupid. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

(edited)
11 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

I hit into someone once by accident. I was 200yd from the edge of the green (raised) and I was going to lay up with my 3w, which I usually hit about 180. I hit the ball perfectly and it somehow bounced onto the green and rolled right by the group of ladies who were putting. I drove up to apologize immediately and they were cool about it. Since then, I make sure people are way out of my range before I hit anything.

This reminds me of a situation of my own. Several months ago, I was playing a round with some teammates, and on the 9th, there was a guy in a cart in the right rough. That area was in shade at the moment, and the cart was sort of in the trees, so it was hard to see. Needless to say, I thought he was gone and swung away. When I saw him ride across the fairway, I was like oh crap, I just hit into him. So when we finished the hole, I went up and apologized to him. He was really cool about it, and brushed it off easily. But within ten minutes of us finishing, our coach knew about the situation, and I had to deal with him, which wasn’t fun at all. They still hold that incident over my head today. Definitely one of my most embarrassing stories, hopefully one that I won’t have to retell a lot.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

9 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

This reminds me of a situation of my own. Several months ago, I was playing a round with some teammates, and on the 9th, there was a guy in a cart in the right rough. That area was in shade at the moment, and the cart was sort of in the trees, so it was hard to see. Needless to say, I thought he was gone and swung away. When I saw him ride across the fairway, I was like oh crap, I just hit into him. So when we finished the hole, I went up and apologized to him. He was really cool about it, and brushed it off easily. But within ten minutes of us finishing, our coach knew about the situation, and I had to deal with him, which wasn’t fun at all. They still hold that incident over my head today. Definitely one of my most embarrassing stories, hopefully one that I won’t have to retell a lot.

You did the only right thing you can do when you make a mistake like that, make a specific effort to apologize.  Everyone who has played for a while has accidentally hit into or very near the group ahead.  Let the other guys give you grief now, but remind them that you'll get your turn to rib them when they inevitably do the same thing.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

You are right.  If you play this game long enough, you will eventually hit into someone whether it be a stray shot into a neighboring tee box or just came closer than you thought possible.  Only one of my shots stands out.

The first hole at my regular course is a 497 yards par 5.  When I hit two really really good shots, I’m typically 20-40 yards short of the green.  Never made it in two.  One week last summer I hit a huge drive and then followed up with the greatest FW of all time.  The FW got a HUGE bounce forward, some favorable roll, and ended up one yard short of the green.  For the record, chip ended up six inches from the hole for tap in birdie.

The very next week I hit another big drive, but according to my laser I thought I was 10-15 yards behind the previous week.  The guys on the green were taking a bit to finish out.  Meanwhile the rest of my group has hit as I had by far the biggest drive and I’m waiting.  The guys on the green keep looking at me and I am chomping to hit because this feels like one of those situations where you wait forever to hit and then top a ball 100 yards.  Plus the guys on the tee are waiting for me to move on.  Finally I decide to hit because the previous week I hit the best FW of all time and I am 10-15 yards back and even with the roll I was short of the green.  And the hole was cut at the very back of the green. Worst case I was expecting close enough to the green to be rude. 

Of course I hit an even greatest FW of all time.  The ball flew in the air to the front of the green, actually landing on the green, and rolled perfectly in between the group on the green 10 feet from the hole.

I dropped my head in shame and then hurried to the 2nd tee as fast as I could (I was walking) to apologize. First guy was like “I kept looking at you and I told the others that guy wants to hit.  He should go ahead because there’s no way he can hit that far.” Another guy said, “no problem. we just enjoyed seeing such a great shot. Go make the putt.”  I apologized profusely and then went and missed the putt.  I made sure to stay well back from them the rest of the day.

9 minutes ago, gbogey said:

the greatest FW of all time

Yeah. I'd guess the old fairway wood from long range is the cause of a lot of these.

Even a buster like me drilled one from 240 when 210 is the best I'd ever previously done. Mine hopped just short of the green and missed a putter's ankle by a couple of feet.

The guys were great with me after I apologized. Very impressed.

30 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yeah. I'd guess the old fairway wood from long range is the cause of a lot of these.

Yeah, assuming it's not a foul ball, if you truly hit into someone and you weren't hitting your longest club, why were you hitting anyway.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, FlyingAce said:

I got pissed so I hit all 3 balls back to them with at least an extra 30yds back and they had to go back to retrieve their balls. Then the marshall showed up and gave them a talk. They stayed far away from me for the rest of the round and whenever they see me around the club house too. I am not proud that I lost my cool and hit their balls, but if it happens again, I will just pick up the balls and move on.

Ace:

It's never a good idea to hit into people...but LUV it...especially coming from a woman and hitting all 3 balls back....seems like your course is full of HILLBILLIES.

If the course wasn't busy...the 4some should have waved you through and if the course was busy you should not be able to go out as a single and should have been paired up.

The more I read...the more I'd really want to play golf with you....you'd be a lot of fun to golf with....can't understand why the FOOLS at your club won't play golf with you.

If these guys are playing Pinnacle...just hit them into the woods or hazards...if ProV1's or TM TP5's...ya pocket them....just sayin.

I played on Mon & made a last minute decision to go out at twilight yesterday...more and more courses are opening up here...but still a bit of price gouging.

Hope you're playing soon.

Note: This thread is 1463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!