Jump to content
IGNORED

NCAA Football 2020


Recommended Posts

I thought It was ridiculous to go with the money choice and put ND in there. Hell OU/Ala would’ve been a better game. I’m obviously not an OhioSt fan but I kinda enjoyed watching Dumbo Sweeney get his ass and a large platter of crow handed to him. I hope Fields can keep that level of play going. They’re gonna need it against Alabama for sure.

Those bombs Fields threw were gorgeous. I also enjoyed him out playing Jar Jar Binks in QB vs QB as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 

 

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Hell OU/Ala would’ve been a better game.

Playing Monday morning quarterback, it would have been a better matchup with Oklahoma.   But revenue always rules, and ND has $$.   Everybody knew that Alabama was heavily favored over them, 19.5 points!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I thought It was ridiculous to go with the money choice and put ND in there. Hell OU/Ala would’ve been a better game. I’m obviously not an OhioSt fan but I kinda enjoyed watching Dumbo Sweeney get his ass and a large platter of crow handed to him. I hope Fields can keep that level of play going. They’re gonna need it against Alabama for sure.

Those bombs Fields threw were gorgeous. I also enjoyed him out playing Jar Jar Binks in QB vs QB as well. 

This is why I hate the committee. The politics of getting teams in is BS. 

If I were to list who was most deserving, 

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Coastal Carolina or Cincinnati

If you were to go with who are the best teams

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Then there are about 4-5 teams who are ranked here. If you look at SP+ in week 15, there are 5 teams with in 1 point of each other from 4 thru 8. Flip a coin. 

14 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Playing Monday morning quarterback, it would have been a better matchup with Oklahoma.   But revenue always rules, and ND has $$.   Everybody knew that Alabama was heavily favored over them, 19.5 points!

They would be favored by at least 14 points over OU. 

The only thing hindsight allows us to do is say ND maybe should not have been picked. Alabama could beat the breaks off OU just as bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

f I were to list who was most deserving, 

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Coastal Carolina or Cincinnati

I can’t go with ND after getting humiliated by Clemson. That was their shot to prove they’re deserving. They failed.

Likewise, CC lost their bowl game to another nobody.

I get all the damn numbers but seriously...CC vs any of your listed teams would be humiliation galore.

I know Ohio played exceptionally well...but Ohio would destroy CC with their 3rd string QB.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I can’t go with ND after getting humiliated by Clemson. That was their shot to prove they’re deserving. They failed.

10 wins, and an only loss was to a team they beat that year? Come on. Who would you put in there? 

OU who got beat by Kansas State and Iowa State? Texas A&M who got trounced by Alabama? At least ND beat Clemson before losing to them in the conference championship game. Would you put both Costal Carolina and Cincinnati in? I get they went undefeated, but the schedules are to easy maybe to let both in? Georgia who loss twice? You can't let Florida in. They lost twice. BYU got beat by Costal Carolina, so Costal Carolina is more deserving of consideration. 

It's not so easy to keep ND out in terms of who is most deserving. If you want to say you had to play at least 9-10 games. 

If I had to choose a most deserving list

1. Alabama
2. Cincinnati
3. Clemson
4. ND

I can't keep ND out. They went 50/50 against Clemson. 

This is why I think they need to come out with standardized scheduling for the conferences. Each conference is required to have 9 conference games and 3 out of conference games. There are no divisions with in each conference, and the top two teams play each other for a spot in an 8 team playoff. The remaining teams play each other on championship week so everyone ends up with 13 games played. 

Then there are three wild card spots open. These spots are determined by computer rankings (BCS format). 

The playoff is sorted by computer rankings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

10 wins, and an only loss was to a team they beat that year? Come on. Who would you put in there? 

OU who got beat by Kansas State and Iowa State? Texas A&M who got trounced by Alabama? At least ND beat Clemson before losing to them in the conference championship game. Would you put both Costal Carolina and Cincinnati in? I get they went undefeated, but the schedules are to easy maybe to let both in? Georgia who loss twice? You can't let Florida in. They lost twice. BYU got beat by Costal Carolina, so Costal Carolina is more deserving of consideration. 

It's not so easy to keep ND out in terms of who is most deserving. If you want to say you had to play at least 9-10 games. 

If I had to choose a most deserving list

1. Alabama
2. Cincinnati
3. Clemson
4. ND

I can't keep ND out. They went 50/50 against Clemson. 

This is why I think they need to come out with standardized scheduling for the conferences. Each conference is required to have 9 conference games and 3 out of conference games. There are no divisions with in each conference, and the top two teams play each other for a spot in an 8 team playoff. The remaining teams play each other on championship week so everyone ends up with 13 games played. 

Then there are three wild card spots open. These spots are determined by computer rankings (BCS format). 

The playoff is sorted by computer rankings. 

Come on....they played Clemson without Jar Jar. You can’t really give ND a win without an asterisk.

There’s more to it than just numbers. Just like Tiger/Jack talk. CC sure as hell didn’t play high power teams to deserve a shot at Ohio/Ala/Clemson.

Cincinnati was 9-0...they would be demolished by any of your top 4. It’s just a different ball game. It’s not the same across the country. ND consistently gets a shot at a big game and consistently gets their asses handed to them. OU had a great showing against Florida. They have an explosive offense and are fun to watch. 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

1. Alabama
2. Cincinnati
3. Clemson
4. ND

Deserving based on number of games won, maybe. History and expectations of winning? ND got whipped by Clemson and won without Jar Jar....they’re done.

Ya gotta get away from the paper and look at what’s really out there. Like Ohio only having played 6 games. So what? They have enormous talent and should be in the top four. Not due to their numbers...due to their obvious fire power.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

OU had a great showing against Florida. They have an explosive offense and are fun to watch. 

That is using hindsight to say they should have gotten a shot. You can’t do that. Also, Florida was with out like 20 players who opted not to play. That game means nothing. OU has been getting trounced when they play in the college playoffs. So they are in the same boat as ND. Go ahead and try another team you think is worthy. Remember, no hindsight allowed.

38 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Ya gotta get away from the paper and look at what’s really out there. Like Ohio only having played 6 games. So what? They have enormous talent and should be in the top four. Not due to their numbers...due to their obvious fire power.

That’s different between deserving and best teams available. The deserving argument Leana more towards ND. if you want best teams, there are about 4-5 who have claim to the 4th spot. All probably get trashed by Alabama. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
7 hours ago, Carl3 said:

Why didn't they send that guy to the locker room to reflect on what he had done? I thought it was ridiculous that he was on the sideline watching the rest of the game.

He stayed on the field? That's dumb.

Also, yeah, that other angle shows it much better @saevel25.

Nobody (very few) knows how to tackle anymore. Nobody wraps up, they just go for the big pop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

He stayed on the field? That's dumb.

Also, yeah, that other angle shows it much better @saevel25.

Nobody (very few) knows how to tackle anymore. Nobody wraps up, they just go for the big pop.

This is so very true and so damn annoying. I wonder if coaching has just gone a different direction. Three things I would drill into my players were I coaching:

1. Proper tackling. Wrap those damn legs and maybe another player can go for the strip. But tackle the damn player.

2. Pass coverage. When you’re chasing your receiver and you’re literally right behind him.....WTF do you think he’s looking at when he turns his head and looks up? FFS ....do the same!! How many times do you see a pass go literally right over the cornerback’s shoulder into the receiver’s hands. So easy to at least deflect the ball!

3. Punt return. Don’t touch the damn ball when there’s any chaos. Get away. Get as far away as you can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

1. Proper tackling. Wrap those damn legs and maybe another player can go for the strip. But tackle the damn player.

Urban Meyer spent an entire off season teaching Ohio State how to do Rugby Style tackling for player safety. You basically go for the hips, and depending on the angle you take you either roll to take them down or drive them backwards. 

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

2. Pass coverage. When you’re chasing your receiver and you’re literally right behind him.....WTF do you think he’s looking at when he turns his head and looks up? FFS ....do the same!! How many times do you see a pass go literally right over the cornerback’s shoulder into the receiver’s hands. So easy to at least deflect the ball!

Good WR will look back late. I think also a lot of DB's are taught to match the movement of the hands. Again, good WR will switch up their timing when looking and reacting to the ball. Also, a good thrown ball will be difficult to defend if the WR has an actual full step on the DB. That is like 1-2 yards of separation. If the the WR is taller than the DB, which is typical, then its difficult to defend a well thrown ball by deflecting it. If the DB is in step with the WR, then he has a shot. In that case, it will be hard for the WR to make a catch anyways. Of course, you don't know if it is a back shoulder throw or not. Being a DB in man to man coverage with no help is difficult. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Urban Meyer spent an entire off season teaching Ohio State how to do Rugby Style tackling for player safety. You basically go for the hips, and depending on the angle you take you either roll to take them down or drive them backwards. 

Good WR will look back late. I think also a lot of DB's are taught to match the movement of the hands. Again, good WR will switch up their timing when looking and reacting to the ball. Also, a good thrown ball will be difficult to defend if the WR has an actual full step on the DB. That is like 1-2 yards of separation. If the the WR is taller than the DB, which is typical, then its difficult to defend a well thrown ball by deflecting it. If the DB is in step with the WR, then he has a shot. In that case, it will be hard for the WR to make a catch anyways. Of course, you don't know if it is a back shoulder throw or not. Being a DB in man to man coverage with no help is difficult. 

 

All true yes. But you see many, many times on replay the ball is literally two feet from the DB/CBs head. As long as they adhere to PI rules they should treat the ball as thrown to them. The WR 99.9% of the time has to look up and back to catch the ball....then you see the CB right on top of him staring the WR in the face as he’s watching the ball only to have it come right over his head. Easy deflection. 
I’ve seen many times on those ridiculous lob passes to the corner of the end zone the ball go right through the raised hands of the idiot CB who’s not watching the ball. The WR has nowhere to go...the end zone boundary is there. No need to stare at the WR like a dope and just hope he drops it or try to knock it loose after it’s caught. It’s maddening to watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Something I didn't realize that might be why DB's don't turn around is that it can slow you down. If the WR knows the spot to run to, then they can run full out to the spot. If the DB looks back to early, they will slow down. 

You can see it in this video with the Clemson player. He peaked in the backfield and the OSU WR got separation. 

It might be easier run with the WR and try to just get in his way. Also, again, if the WR is good and turns very late in the route it's nearly impossible to react in time to the ball. Same concept with a QB throwing before the WR gets out their route. If there is any separation it's near indefensible if the ball is thrown well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Something I didn't realize that might be why DB's don't turn around is that it can slow you down. If the WR knows the spot to run to, then they can run full out to the spot. If the DB looks back to early, they will slow down. 

Yes but it’s a trade off. The WR too will slow when he looks back. As soon as you see your WR Look up ..you get a pace on him...then you look up and from there it’s anyone’s ball to catch.

You’re right if the WR is considerably faster and/or taller it’s much more difficult. But all too often we see a WR in the back corner of the end zone and the CB is literally belly to back on the WR but he’s looking at the WR while the ball drops inches over his head into the arms of the WR.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is hard to say with out knowing the separation the WR has with the DB. A lot of time the camera angle is from the QB's perspective. I get what you are saying. 

Now, a question I thought of is. If your team relies a lot on stealing the other teams signs, can that actually be a detriment to your defense? Clemson is notorious for stealing offensive signs. The defense would routinely look over late to their defensive coordinator for a sign and switch into the perfect call. 

Ohio State came out and actually huddled up more often, which they do not do. They are a team that likes to see the defensive formation and then look over to the sideline for any audible sign. This plan to call the plays in the huddle seemed to really throw Clemson off. There was many times the Clemson defense would be looking over to the sideline for a sign and they would just be miss aligned. 

Then the question becomes, are you actually one of the best defensive coordinators if you hang your hat on stealing signs? 

Going forward, every team that faces Clemson should huddle up. Also, if they find Clemson looking to the sideline for a play, snap the ball at that moment. OSU did that a few times and had huge success. I think this really messed with Clemson's tempo on defense. 

Just to show what a thrashing OSU gave Clemson... 

Quote

Let’s start with the praise. The Bucks' EPA per play on passes was .93 — almost one unexpected point added per pass. It is by far their highest mark in the last six seasons, with a 2017 game at Nebraska coming in second at .89. That .93 was the 10th-highest in a single game this season. As for Clemson’s defense, it was their worst day in a very long time. Over the last six seasons, nothing even remotely comes close to them allowing .93 EPA per play. The second highest is Alabama in 2015 with only .43. In fact, in these six years, Clemson has only given up positive EPA per play via the pass 17 total times in 82 games. It’s almost like Clemson forgot to actually watch Ohio State’s film, regardless of how many games the Buckeyes played.

PFF does some good analysis. Nerding out a bit. 

USATSI_15386568_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

Justin Fields and the Ohio State Buckeyes torched a seemingly underprepared Clemson defense to the College Football Playoff National...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

Collage football is a sham these days, always the same schools getting the best players. Let's see, who will be first next year? Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, or who? What a joke!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Collage football is a sham these days, always the same schools getting the best players. Let's see, who will be first next year? Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, or who? What a joke!

Well you can’t really count 2020 as it was just a cluster f*** like most sports and everything else. Nonetheless it’s a lot more than just getting the best players...which they don’t really. A lot goes into the building of a college football  team. Hell OhioSt had a massively good recruitment and still got their asses handed to them by Alabama. But...they also humiliated Clemson. So I thought there was some good football played despite the Covid mess. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Collage football is a sham these days, always the same schools getting the best players. Let's see, who will be first next year? Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, or who? What a joke!

It’s been like that forever. Alabama is skewing this a bit. 

Imagine if we still had the rules in the 70’s . 100+ scholarships.

these schools are good at branding. They are good at getting elite talent to commit. Can’t complain really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...