IGNORED

Rory/DJ vs. Rickie/Wolff Skins Game at Seminole!

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 1418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

When I was that age, I walked and carried all the time.Β 

So?

We know more now.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And they still had trouble holding shots on the greens!

Yea you couldΒ definitely tell the difference in the firmness of the turf between the shots in the fairway and the shots on the green.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, billchao said:

Drives were plugging. There were a couple that even backed up a foot or two.

And there were some that went 400y.Β 

I enjoyed many aspects of this event that have been already mentioned. Carrying their own bag, using rangefinders, and most importantly, reading the greens for their own putts. I couldΒ relate and hope that maybe some of these different ideas become more commonΒ place.Β 

I taped it and FF through the commercials. I like the course visually. I liked the players carrying and would not have minded it they used push carts. I thought Wolff had the best comments and showed that Golf is Hard ℒ️ when he was in the native area sand. Ricky showed that you don’t have to be the longest player to play well, although he is pretty long.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Killa said:

And the course really didn’t look special to me, wide open with some really large elements of water and waste/sand areas. Pretty boring, there are probably 12 better courses in the UK alone.Β 

Β 

16 hours ago, Killa said:

I’ve been checking it out on google maps and their fairways are wider than their driving range...

Β 

1 hour ago, Killa said:

And there were some that went 400y.Β 

I'm trying to figure out what your point is here.

Have you read up on the course? Because you know, the Old Course doesn't look all that great on TV. Hell, the first fairway is wider than some driving ranges are long, after all. ProsΒ can drive many of the par fours. Etc. etc.

You planning to take a dump on the Old Course next? πŸ˜›

Probably not.

Odds are the folks who ranked it 12th probably know a bit more about architecture than you and I combined, I'd think. It's probably not too far off from its rightful place.

If you have an argument based on the actual architecture, and not a single four-hour TV coverage with some of the game's best (only half of which broke par, and not by a lot), we'd love to hear it.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, huron76 said:

and most importantly, reading the greens for their own putts.Β 

I feel like in a normal tournament most players read well over 50% (probably over 75% too) of their own putts and typically only call in the caddie for a read when the player is unsure of the readΒ or it's an important putt and they want the reassurance their line is right.

It's not like every player has their caddy read every putt normally and players are uncapable of reading them so them having to read greens on their ownΒ was a test for them or something.

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

Comin' at ya.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.38.30 PM.png

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:11 PM, iacas said:

So?

We know more now.

Know more about what?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:07 AM, iacas said:

Β 

Β 

I'm trying to figure out what your point is here.

Have you read up on the course? Because you know, the Old Course doesn't look all that great on TV. Hell, the first fairway is wider than some driving ranges are long, after all. ProsΒ can drive many of the par fours. Etc. etc.

You planning to take a dump on the Old Course next? πŸ˜›

Probably not.

Odds are the folks who ranked it 12th probably know a bit more about architecture than you and I combined, I'd think. It's probably not too far off from its rightful place.

If you have an argument based on the actual architecture, and not a single four-hour TV coverage with some of the game's best (only half of which broke par, and not by a lot), we'd love to hear it.

Don't you get it man? All the courses in the old country are far superior to those here in the new world! Even though some of them were designed by men from the old country. It seems that once theyΒ set foot on our soil, they lost their touch and they became poor designers!Β 

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Know more about what?

About the damage and risks ofΒ carrying your bag.

Seminole is extremely over-rated.Β  I'll believe my own eyes every day rather than what I'm told to believe.Β  Tough greens don't make a great course.Β  You need a lot more than that.Β Β 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Herkimer said:

Seminole is extremely over-rated.Β  I'll believe my own eyes every day rather than what I'm told to believe.Β  Tough greens don't make a great course.Β  You need a lot more than that.Β Β 

It has a lot more than that.

Have your β€œown eyes” actually seen the course in person? Didn’t think so.

7 hours ago, Herkimer said:

I am in the category that Seminole is over-rated, but only slightly so.Β 

Tough greens are not the only reason a course can be great, however tough AND interesting greens go a long way to making a course special. Elevated table top greens were genius for the seminole design, because it forces the golfer to take an aerial route to hold many of the greens...but for a coastal course the aerial route can be extremely challenging due to the usually high winds coming off the coast. And the nasty green side bunkers make short siding oneself something to absolutely avoid..otherwise forget golf your playing ping pong! However, though the great challenge awaits the good player that wants to get aggressive...the average Joe can scrap together a score in their usual range if they drive the ball ok and just avoid taking too much risk on approach shots. Very playable off the tee, which is why some claim it is overrated.Β 

The routing is what really makes the course stand out to architecture nerds. Ross took a fairly uninteresting piece of land (except for the coastal view) and routing much of the course (many greens and tees and even a few fairways!) along two ridges on opposite ends of the property that allow for great views, the most wind exposure, different angles to encounter the wind, and of course constantly bringing the golfer back to the most interesting topography on the course throughout the round. I (like many others) am not a fan of the numerous man made lakes through the middle of the course, but Ross had no choice really because of the bowl like nature between the ridges...he ad some drainage problems to deal with. There are many architects out there that should take a lesson from Ross on how to route a golf course and maybe we would have less dull courses on interesting land!

Also...I have come to the conclusion that Seminole is the American version of Muirfield in the UK. Both courses have their admirers and their strong critics. Both courses are textbook examples of how a golf course can be routed. Both are coastal, and both have less than special topography. The weaknesses are similar but in different ways...Seminole is more challenging around the greens and more playable tee to green, while Muirfield has very subtle green contours, but can be a bear Tee to green.Β 

Both are great courses in my opinion, but both are a hair over-rated by some as well (again IMO).Β 

• Like 1

I just watched the replay on PGA Tour Live and man was it boring. I enjoyed seeing a course I’ve heard a lot about, but the coverageΒ visuals didn’t do much, and the commentary didn’t add much with regards to course design.Β 

I found the Bill Murray and Trump segments distracting.

With minimal production and no galleries, each player’s screen presence (or lack of) really shines.

Funny because I do enjoy watching Rory, Rickie,Β and DJΒ play in normal events. Don’t know enough about Wolff, but I’d watch him inΒ featured group too.

At least it’s golf on TV.Β 

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

9 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I just watched the replay on PGA Tour Live and man was it boring. I enjoyed seeing a course I’ve heard a lot about, but the coverageΒ visuals didn’t do much, and the commentary didn’t add much with regards to course design.Β 

I found the Bill Murray and Trump segments distracting.

With minimal production and no galleries, each player’s screen presence (or lack of) really shines.

Funny because I do enjoy watching Rory, Rickie,Β and DJΒ play in normal events. Don’t know enough about Wolff, but I’d watch him inΒ featured group too.

At least it’s golf on TV.Β 

There’s really no comparison between the two events. I watched this one right from the start, got bored in less than an hour (and I was really interested in seeing the course, too). The other event I wasn’t able to watch until there was about an hour left and I was glued to my screen the entire time.

I think part of it is they tried to broadcast this event like a regular tour event with the announcers and everything, and the other event had Charles Barkley basically being one of the bro’s joining in the banter between the players.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note:Β This thread is 1418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!