IGNORED

Post-COVID Bunker Rakes: Stay Away or Return?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Post-COVID Bunker Rakes  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should bunker rakes be banished long-term after the world returns to near-normal post-COVID-19?

• Yes, banish them. (You can discuss the specifics of such a choice in the posts below.)
    • No, return the bunker rakes to the bunkers. (Basically, return to how things were in the pre-COVID-19 state.)

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I was using a bit of sarcasm, but I think bunkers should be raked. Most folks rarely get up and down from a well maintained bunker, so, as a penalty area, it has probably done it's intended purpose, and added a stroke to a players score. I still think, for the most part, even a poor rake job is better than an unraked footprint or old divot. I've been in footprints, and divots to where I could only advance it to a better part of the bunker.

Nobody's suggesting you just go in, leave footprints, and get out. Smooth over the area with your feet or your club.

Plus, the staff will still perform some regular maintenance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

I was using a bit of sarcasm, but I think bunkers should be raked. Most folks rarely get up and down from a well maintained bunker, so, as a penalty area, it has probably done it's intended purpose, and added a stroke to a players score. I still think, for the most part, even a poor rake job is better than an unraked footprint or old divot. I've been in footprints, and divots to where I could only advance it to a better part of the bunker.

An emoji goes a long way to help get your direct point across.    :whistle:

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just now, Sandy Divot said:

I'd say the average golfer (not on TST but in the wild), doesn't get up and down all that often when they are off the green at all with a wedge or some kind of bump and run (putter off the green up and downs are more often). It should be worth a second stroke, I say. Greenside bunker should be worth 4-5 shots to an average player (100 on par 72), and 3-4 shots guaranteed to low-mid to high-mid cappers. I don't think that a bunker is a place you should be able to get out of with relative ease and scrape a net bogey no problem.

To me laying on similar, well manicured bunkers all the time is easier than playing on a grained grass or varying grass types. It shouldn't be this way. An unknown bunker should not be easier than an unknown rough or green. With modern manicured bunkers, you can learn one type of shot (for greenside) and put yourself in a place to make a two putt or maybe a one putt. With more natural, or at least not consistently maintained bunkers, you don't know what you'll get. Most of the time you are in the same place as the well manicured bunker (if the bunkers are at least checked for quality every once in a while), but when you aren't you may pay the price of hitting it to a hazard.

Last point: lots of people don't know how to rake properly as is, and would probably do better with their foot anyway. If you land in a bunker where it hasn't been raked with direction of play in mind, you could be in a pretty sick groove that may be worse than a foot-smoothed bunker.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Bring the rakes back.  Most people use them where I play and the bunkers were designed with rakes in mind.  I see no reason to make the game more difficult.  

If you're not going to have rakes to maintain them and play like crap in the afternoon, treat them like native sandy areas where you get to ground your club, take practice swings and gouge the sand without penalty. Otherwise, leave the rakes there. 

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I hit into a couple of bunkers today and they were fine where my ball ended up. I had some funky lies outside of bunkers that couldn't be improved (divot hole in greenside rough, bare spot between two tufts of grass on a downhill lie under a tree), so I'm starting to think the argument about needing rakes get rid of bad lies in bunkers is bogus.

I did notice that some people don't even bother smoothing out their footprints where they dug in or where their club blasted the sand out. Makes me wonder if they would have even bothered raking if there were rakes. I've seen that often enough to know that not having rakes was probably not the reason they weren't cleaned up.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'd be ok with no rakes, I think, but I see one major area that would need addressing: steep-faced sides or front faces of light and fluffy sand that give perhaps 2 or 3 ft down when you walk on them, even if the player enters from the back (and not steep) area, as they should. Think having to deal with a plugged lie in a very steep face with fluffy sand, say a one or two feet below the lip.

When taking one's stance you could truly create a gigantic mess that is pretty hard to smooth out, even with a rake. I don't see how you would do that with just feet or a club head.

• Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I like this idea.

The fact that I haven't hit balls outside lately (and some rust as far as course planning goes) has lead to me being in more bunkers than usual the past two rounds.  In both cases, no rakes were available, I did the foot smoothing after hitting ... and had a lot better sand shots than I usually do, despite obviously not practicing them (I suspect the improved grip gets a lot of the credit, but I'm not sure why).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!