IGNORED

My Problems with George Gankas Instruction

• Administrator
On 5/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Phil McGleno said:

Thank you to certain people behind the scenes in a PM for encouraging me to post this. And to take the time to make it good. I am posting this to have a discussion. I like a lot of what George teaches, but I do take issue with the things I listed up above.

Not many people here are "qualified" to have a swing theory discussion (about ALL swings, not their specific individual swing), nor should an average golfer really concern himself with this type of discussion. They should be focusing on their few priority pieces, and working on those things.

I think that if George and @Phil McGleno were in a room together, a recording of the discussion would be illuminating to many.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Not many people here are "qualified" to have a swing theory discussion (about ALL swings, not their specific individual swing), nor should an average golfer really concern himself with this type of discussion. They should be focusing on their few priority pieces, and working on those things.

I think that if George and @Phil McGleno were in a room together, a recording of the discussion would be illuminating to many.

You are right.  I got lost halfway through the analysis because I am ignorant of the terminology.  Even the pictures didn’t help. I will stay in my lane.  

• Administrator
9 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

You are right.  I got lost halfway through the analysis because I am ignorant of the terminology.  Even the pictures didn’t help. I will stay in my lane.  

Nothing stops you from starting to learn what he's talking about, of course.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this. Clarified several things I was wondering about. I admit that I have been very confused by his teachings more often than not. That's typically a bad sign for a golf instructor.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
13 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

"11. George says the arms shifting out shallows the shaft. While it can it can also make the shaft get steeper or do anything else too. You can overcome the pretty weak force that shifting the hands out shallows the shaft very easily. I see people shift the arms out and steepen EVERY damn day on my lesson tee. Plus with GEARS or 3D we know the butt of the club early transition tends to move more vertically down and then moves out. It follows the movement of the body/torso: it lowers 'closed' and then starts opening up. If you have to shift your arms out and go ER, how is Rory one of the most shallow players and Noren one of the steepest?"

Again, the author isn't telling the full story and is being a bit disingenuous imo by leaving out key parts, but whatever.  I posted vid below if anybody wants to see what Gankas actually says.

I have some issues with that video. The two biggest ones (from an admitted skimming of the video):

• George shows how the club shallows when you swing… by barely holding on to the grip with the tips of your fingers. Sure, that will probably do it, but when golfers are holding on with normal grips, all sorts of other things take place. (@Phil McGleno said it as "You can overcome the pretty weak force that shifting the hands out shallows the shaft very easily.") This sounds good in theory, but generally doesn't work in practice.
  • The arms have a lot farther to travel, so if they're swinging down at a 1:1 ratio with the hips… they're going to be really late.
  • The game's best often move their hands downward and away from the ball at the top of the backswing. Like the guy below… (And in re-reading the quoted part, I basically just re-stated one of the things in that quoted stuff from @Phil McGleno again.)

Wolff.jpg

• Thanks 1

For the Barstool fans here, Riggs got a lesson from Gankas recently.

It's been a while since I worked on my golf theory stuff, but generally I agree with GG about what the problem is. Riggs does need to open a lot more, more passive right arm. Not sure I like the "look down the target line right away" thing on the downswing though.

Some quarter and half swings probably would help to incorporate too, mixed in with the speedier stuff.

Anyway, I thought this was a good spot to post this for any further discussion on GG that people wanted to have.

I should probably also stay in my lane on this, but it seems like he overemphasizes the rotation and not enough of driving the arms to match with that body rotation. Arms get dragged behind. Of course I'm prolly 150% wrong

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

I should probably also stay in my lane on this, but it seems like he overemphasizes the rotation and not enough of driving the arms to match with that body rotation. Arms get dragged behind. Of course I'm prolly 150% wrong

Awww, naw swerve recklessly with me!

• Funny 3

• Administrator
  • 30-40° open with the hips
  • 15-20° with the chest
  • 5-10° with the shoulders

That's all you really want. Yeah, the guy was closed, and what GG kept showing was likely the "feel" to get MORE open, but your chest doesn't need to be 30° open at impact.

• Informative 2