iacas

Is This Ball Marker Going Too Far?

Mechanical Ball Markers  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should "mechanical ball markers" such as the Trident be legal?

• Yes
    • No

39 posts / 3432 viewsLast Reply

27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Hell, half of my golf buddies can’t be bothered to put a dot on their ball so it can be identified!

That thing puts enough ink on the ball to throw it out of balance. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted that it should be illegal.  It seems more like a training aid to me, helping learn to line up a putt and hit on the line, and training aids are illegal in rounds.  That may not be the proper interpretation of the rules related to ball markers but it is my view.

The first instance of a ball marker going too far that I remember... I think it was Lexi T's.  

This thing... feels like a gimmick.  But I stopped using the line on the ball to align putts years ago and have putted better since (hard to imagine, I was once worse!).  

I have a very weird relationship with what things I'm fine with being done for me on the course.  I like the motorized walking carts, seems like a best of both worlds.  I might even get one some day.  I don't feel moving your bag around the course is a vital part of playing, other than it's necessary (we can't leave our bag at the clubhouse and keep going back to it for each shot). 

Being able to read and set yourself up for a shot does seem necessary. 

If someone gave me this, I might use it, but only for ball identification purposes. I'd never spend money on it. 

I aim my putts with my club face, and an intermediate spot, a foot, or so in front of the ball, that's on my chosen line. 

8 hours ago, StuM said:

I voted that it should be illegal.  It seems more like a training aid to me, helping learn to line up a putt and hit on the line, and training aids are illegal in rounds.

My exact thoughts.

What's next? They use this contraption and then also lay down an alignment stick to either extend their line...
Sorry, hope the USGA comes up with a decision on products like those to clarify.

I'm also with @David in FL the majority of guys never make any markings on there golf ball, or announce the ball they play.
Every once in a while, a player will call out the ball when hitting a provisional.

Not to mention the guys who tee up a top flite and putt out with a titleist ...

10 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

My exact thoughts.

What's next? They use this contraption and then also lay down an alignment stick to either extend their line...
Sorry, hope the USGA comes up with a decision on products like those to clarify.

I'm also with @David in FL the majority of guys never make any markings on there golf ball, or announce the ball they play.
Every once in a while, a player will call out the ball when hitting a provisional.

There already is a requirement, the straight-line portion of a ball-marker cannot be longer than 2 inches. If someone sucks so bad at lining up their putt that they need this, and they can use it in a reasonable time frame, ,let 'em.  I'm not worried that they'll out-putt me.

Line the ball up with your target and Putt.

I have enough problem keeping up with my ball marker now. 

It's just that simple, "You eat the food, and lose the weight." (Oops, wrong commercial) 🤪

Not for me. Not for Pro's (IMO)

Retired Old Man 

Am I the only one who uses the line on the ball to align my tee shots and NOT for my putts?

I put the ball down so I can read the name on both putts and Tee shots. Good reminder to keep my head down.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, DaveP043 said:

There already is a requirement, the straight-line portion of a ball-marker cannot be longer than 2 inches. 

Really?? Most of the time I just stick my Scotty Cameron pitch mark fixer thingy in the ground behind the ball, are you saying that's no bueno?

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Really?? Most of the time I just stick my Scotty Cameron pitch mark fixer thingy in the ground behind the ball, are you saying that's no bueno?

Here are the rules:

7. Definition of Alignment Device and Treatment of Ball-Markers(Rule 4.3)

The following criteria are used to determine when an object manufactured to mark the spot of a ball is an alignment device. Features include, but are not limited to:

• The object incorporates features designed to measure, gauge or interpret slope, green speed or other conditions, or includes optical or electronic components or, 

• The vertical height of the object, in any configuration, is greater than 1.0” or,

• The maximum dimension in any horizontal direction exceeds 2.0” and incorporates any of the features noted below (or similar features):

o the object incorporates painted, etched or inscribed line(s) or similar features greater than or equal to 2.0” in length (“line” includes any line, arrow or other straight marking that could be solid or broken, but has a defined start, a defined end and whose length can be measured),

o the object has an appendage(s) or an extended feature(s) greater than 2.0” in length or that extends a feature of the object to a length greater than 2.0”.

Note 1: An object is an alignment device if it exceeds the dimensional specifications listed above and advertising, marketing or intellectual property descriptions or claims related to the object indicates that it is primarily for the purpose of showing the line of play.

Note 2: An object is an alignment device if it is modified in any manner that would satisfy any of the above provisions.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html#!ruletype=er&section=rule&partnum=6&rulenum=8

On 6/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, Club Rat said:

Ugh, we caught a guy pulling that shit in a tournament once. He didn't get invited back. 

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

That's an interesting wrinkle on what we have now. If that 'pitch mark fixer thingy' is longer than two inches and has  straight lines on it that are longer than two inches, it is actually not captured by the new 'alignment device'  equipment rule - because it is not manufactured as a ball marker.

And I thought if you wanted to you could mark the ball with the toe of your putter?? Or is it only because these are not actually "ball markers"?

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

And I thought if you wanted to you could mark the ball with the toe of your putter?? Or is it only because these are not actually "ball markers"?

Different issue, you may "Hold a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball", see Rule 14.1a.

41 minutes ago, fredf said:

Different issue, you may "Hold a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball", see Rule 14.1a.

Isn't the face of the putter a straight line longer than 2 inches?