IGNORED

Is This Ball Marker Going Too Far?

iacas

Mechanical Ball Markers  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should "mechanical ball markers" such as the Trident be legal?

• Yes
    • No

27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Hell, half of my golf buddies can’t be bothered to put a dot on their ball so it can be identified!

That thing puts enough ink on the ball to throw it out of balance. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People who need to think that much will probably miss the putt.

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...

I voted that it should be illegal.  It seems more like a training aid to me, helping learn to line up a putt and hit on the line, and training aids are illegal in rounds.  That may not be the proper interpretation of the rules related to ball markers but it is my view.

• Upvote 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

The first instance of a ball marker going too far that I remember... I think it was Lexi T's.  

This thing... feels like a gimmick.  But I stopped using the line on the ball to align putts years ago and have putted better since (hard to imagine, I was once worse!).  

I have a very weird relationship with what things I'm fine with being done for me on the course.  I like the motorized walking carts, seems like a best of both worlds.  I might even get one some day.  I don't feel moving your bag around the course is a vital part of playing, other than it's necessary (we can't leave our bag at the clubhouse and keep going back to it for each shot). 

Being able to read and set yourself up for a shot does seem necessary. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

If someone gave me this, I might use it, but only for ball identification purposes. I'd never spend money on it. 

I aim my putts with my club face, and an intermediate spot, a foot, or so in front of the ball, that's on my chosen line. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I voted yes, although I really don't care one way or the other.  I'm with @David in FL , it's a gimmick and I don't see a lot of people using this.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 hours ago, StuM said:

I voted that it should be illegal.  It seems more like a training aid to me, helping learn to line up a putt and hit on the line, and training aids are illegal in rounds.

My exact thoughts.

What's next? They use this contraption and then also lay down an alignment stick to either extend their line...
Sorry, hope the USGA comes up with a decision on products like those to clarify.

I'm also with @David in FL the majority of guys never make any markings on there golf ball, or announce the ball they play.
Every once in a while, a player will call out the ball when hitting a provisional.

Not to mention the guys who tee up a top flite and putt out with a titleist ...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

10 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

My exact thoughts.

What's next? They use this contraption and then also lay down an alignment stick to either extend their line...
Sorry, hope the USGA comes up with a decision on products like those to clarify.

I'm also with @David in FL the majority of guys never make any markings on there golf ball, or announce the ball they play.
Every once in a while, a player will call out the ball when hitting a provisional.

There already is a requirement, the straight-line portion of a ball-marker cannot be longer than 2 inches. If someone sucks so bad at lining up their putt that they need this, and they can use it in a reasonable time frame, ,let 'em.  I'm not worried that they'll out-putt me.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Line the ball up with your target and Putt.

I have enough problem keeping up with my ball marker now. 

It's just that simple, "You eat the food, and lose the weight." (Oops, wrong commercial) 🤪

Not for me. Not for Pro's (IMO)

Retired Old Man 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

On 6/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, DaveP043 said:

There already is a requirement, the straight-line portion of a ball-marker cannot be longer than 2 inches. 

Really?? Most of the time I just stick my Scotty Cameron pitch mark fixer thingy in the ground behind the ball, are you saying that's no bueno?

Colin P.

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Really?? Most of the time I just stick my Scotty Cameron pitch mark fixer thingy in the ground behind the ball, are you saying that's no bueno?

Here are the rules:

7. Definition of Alignment Device and Treatment of Ball-Markers(Rule 4.3)

The following criteria are used to determine when an object manufactured to mark the spot of a ball is an alignment device. Features include, but are not limited to:

• The object incorporates features designed to measure, gauge or interpret slope, green speed or other conditions, or includes optical or electronic components or, 

• The vertical height of the object, in any configuration, is greater than 1.0” or,

• The maximum dimension in any horizontal direction exceeds 2.0” and incorporates any of the features noted below (or similar features):

o the object incorporates painted, etched or inscribed line(s) or similar features greater than or equal to 2.0” in length (“line” includes any line, arrow or other straight marking that could be solid or broken, but has a defined start, a defined end and whose length can be measured),

o the object has an appendage(s) or an extended feature(s) greater than 2.0” in length or that extends a feature of the object to a length greater than 2.0”.

Note 1: An object is an alignment device if it exceeds the dimensional specifications listed above and advertising, marketing or intellectual property descriptions or claims related to the object indicates that it is primarily for the purpose of showing the line of play.

Note 2: An object is an alignment device if it is modified in any manner that would satisfy any of the above provisions.

https://www.usga.org/equipment-standards/equipment-rules-2019/equipment-rules/equipment-rules.html#!ruletype=er&section=rule&partnum=6&rulenum=8

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 6/30/2020 at 5:05 PM, Club Rat said:

Ugh, we caught a guy pulling that shit in a tournament once. He didn't get invited back. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

That's an interesting wrinkle on what we have now. If that 'pitch mark fixer thingy' is longer than two inches and has  straight lines on it that are longer than two inches, it is actually not captured by the new 'alignment device'  equipment rule - because it is not manufactured as a ball marker.

And I thought if you wanted to you could mark the ball with the toe of your putter?? Or is it only because these are not actually "ball markers"?

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

And I thought if you wanted to you could mark the ball with the toe of your putter?? Or is it only because these are not actually "ball markers"?

Different issue, you may "Hold a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball", see Rule 14.1a.

41 minutes ago, fredf said:

Different issue, you may "Hold a club on the ground right behind or right next to the ball", see Rule 14.1a.

Isn't the face of the putter a straight line longer than 2 inches?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls