IGNORED

Could COVID-19 Be Good for Golf in the Future?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Just now, Piz said:

I did read the OP.  I just think that the silver lining is pretty sparse given the scope of the dark cloud.  

I think the “dark cloud” is being overstated by many.

Many states never closed golf courses. Others still were closed for only a few weeks (of late winter).

We will see.

Might be as bad in the end as many think. But it also might not be.

The original article cited listed some positives. I added some others. Golf course owners I’ve talked to have given me some more.

We will see. But I’m not ruling out a slightly positive eventual result.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think one more thing that could be added to benefits, if it actually comes to pass, is the TV market. If golf does indeed get a serious head start vs other sports and it is the only competitive, live thing to watch for sports fans, it may see a serious uptick in viewership, as well as people picking up the game from watching. This may only be temporary (i.e. while other things are still not going on), it could be a lasting effect that will boost golf interest in a way that we haven't seen in a long time. I don't think golf will see the gains it did when Tiger hit the scene, but it could be a serious, lasting result of COVID

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Here on Long Island the weather was not great in April. I don’t think the 2 weeks off really did much to courses. 

The 18 minute tee times could. Not sure how much longer that will go for. I was told starting tomorrow, Monday courses will be allowing carts again

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• iacas changed the title to Could COVID-19 Be Good for Golf in the Future?

Last weekend I would have said in a lot of aspects, golf came back stronger due to the virus closing. 

Talking this weekend with our course's manager I'm not so sure now. He told me there was a 50% drop off this weekend compared to last weekend's opening. While on the short game practice area this morning, the course looked  pretty empty of paid green fees.

This is probably due to other venues opening up this weekend. Golf wasn't the only destination available to folks. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 hours ago, iacas said:

I think it could have been, for two reasons:

• It may have weeded out some of the failing courses. This can be healthy for a market as a lot of these perpetually-near-failing courses will do some last-ditch efforts to undercut competition, providing poor golf experiences at a cheap rate.
  • It may have driven up interest in the game overall, as one of the "relatively safe, healthy ways to get outside, exercise, socially distance but still socialize in person, and compete" types of ways. See the link and quote below (red).
  • Golf course operators have had to get creative. They've maybe learned something about pace of play, as many places are seeing increased pace of play (this in spite of the fact that people should almost be incentivized to stay out and enjoy the course as long as they can when the alternative is going back to "stay at home") with different tee time gaps, different cart or walking policies, etc.
  • Golfers are re-learning in many places that they can WALK and enjoy 9 or 18 holes, hopefully with a push-cart, but sometimes even just carrying a lighter set and a Sunday bag, etc.
  • Many golf courses, given a month or two with limited or no play, but with allowed course maintenance, have been able to really have a great spring, really heal up and become healthier than they have been in a while. Right as the true golf season in many states is about to start, the golf courses are in prime shape, or better than they have been in recent years. (Maybe golfers will appreciate this and do more to take care of their courses, repairing ball marks, etc. Broken windows theory type stuff.)

There are probably some other ways.

07golf-1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Every state has opened their golf courses, giving golf a chance to expand its reach to people looking for a safe outdoor respite.

This is a quote but because I don't want any of it to be hidden by our quoting plugin that hides stuff after about 50 pixels of height, I've made it red and added my own emphasis.

There are more than 16,000 golf courses in America and only a quarter are private clubs. With schools padlocked, fitness centers closed and many parks and playgrounds off limits, golf — with social distancing restrictions — has become a rare outdoor respite that combines exercise, companionship, competition and space.

“With so many things you can’t do right now and so few things you can do,” Withington said, “golf has never felt so much like a freedom.”

Moreover, golf course operators nationwide said they are seeing something new in their client behaviors and demographics: entire families, cooped up at home, are arriving at the first tee to play together; sales of discounted youth golf passes are exploding; and more golfers are walking the course because usually only family members can share a cart.

“I’m also seeing a lot of people who haven’t played golf in a while,” said Scott Krieger, the head pro and general manager at Broadmoor Golf Course in Portland, Ore. “And more fathers and sons, fathers and daughters and husbands and wives, too.”

But basically, the last two paragraphs.

Not in the UK. We are only allowed to play a two ball with a member of the same household. It's pretty rare that two people from the same household play golf, so in reality we can only play on our own, which isn't really playing golf. Oh, and my course doesn't allow one balls anyway

- Simon Hornsby

there are several groups that I personally know that will not be making trips up north to golf this year.    That number may/may not be relevant as a sample size.   The groups I know number around 100+.   I'd golf up north but stay/play isn't an options at least this year.   We go at least twice per year.     

Will the golf industry rebound?  Yes, but I believe that some courses will not survive.   What I believe, the courses that do survive will not make any additional changes to their status.     

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

I’m also coming from a #ShrinkTheGame perspective too. 🙂

I’ve been surprised at the positivity from those I’ve talked to. And PA was closed entirely to golf until recently, unlike NY and OH.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Like most other things, there are winners and losers. 

Covid was the final dagger that killed my home courses. It was borrowed time anyway, but the pandemic brought it to an end faster than anticipated. The membership and people attached to that place are the losers. 

But it isn't too hard to see the winners. Basically, the public courses that remained open have been packing them in. 

An example, is the course I considered a second home, Miami Shores in Troy. I go by there every other day and that lot is full at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. A couple of years ago, I'd have no problem showing up unannounced on a weekend afternoon. Now, only the efforts of the pro to match me up with a twosome or threesome has enabled me to play. 

Unlike some people who will remain nameless, Troy invested in the course. They've redone the club house, built a range, improved the conditioning and now the Covid effect. It's nice to see them have success.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’ve been surprised at the positivity from those I’ve talked to. And PA was closed entirely to golf until recently, unlike NY and OH.

Shrink the what? That's a new one on me.

Other than the recent closures which were likely just accelerated because of the pandemic, I think play is way up in Ohio. People are off work with excess time, so M-F play seems much busier than normal. Perhaps some people will find a new interest, buy equipment, lessons, etc.

- Shane

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Shrink the what? That's a new one on me.

Other than the recent closures which were likely just accelerated because of the pandemic, I think play is way up in Ohio. People are off work with excess time, so M-F play seems much busier than normal. Perhaps some people will find a new interest, buy equipment, lessons, etc.

I think that the idea of "shrink the game" is that golf doesn't have to be a certain size, and that only manufacturers (i.e. money and capital) lose when the general golfing population shrinks.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

I'd generally agree that it might not be crucial that golf grow a particular amount or that it is the end of times if it shrinks somewhat, but the phrase "shrink the game" sounds ominous. 

Is the idea to go back to the traditions of the American game where only the wealthy could play? 

For someone of my relatively modest status, the more access the better.  If things "shrink" too much, too fast and the price to play goes up substantially, I'll be out myself.

Edited by mcanadiens

43 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I'd generally agree that it might not be crucial that golf grow a particular amount or that it is the end of times if it shrinks somewhat, but the phrase "shrink the game" sounds ominous. 

Is the idea to go back to the traditions of the American game where only the wealthy could play? 

For someone of my relatively modest status, the more access the better.  If things "shrink" too much, too fast and the price to play goes up substantially, I'll be out myself.

I don't think that "shrink the game" intends to go that far, but I agree with you that it may not be the best wording. To me, it is more of a market thing. If there isn't the demand there once was, then closing courses is going to happen (which we just saw, even though I don't think our case is the norm).

I personally would like to see the game grow, or at least stay as prevalent as it is today. I don't like the economic barrier that golf appears to have to the general public, even though it isn't that great (once you have a set of clubs) with city run courses with reasonable membership dues. If all of these courses die out, we will be going back in time and I think that is an awful thing.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Nope, and this topic isn't about "shrinking the game," so let's move on and discuss the actual topic, please.

It's a reaction to the idea that we over-built in the late 90s and early 00s. Too many golf courses, and then now we have to "grow the game" to try to make the over-grown 90s/00s sustainable. Maybe we don't.

But again, not the topic here.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nope, and this topic isn't about "shrinking the game," so let's move on and discuss the actual topic, please.

It's a reaction to the idea that we over-built in the late 90s and early 00s. Too many golf courses, and then now we have to "grow the game" to try to make the over-grown 90s/00s sustainable. Maybe we don't.

But again, not the topic here.

This you isn't it?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

• Administrator
9 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

This you isn't it?

Obviously it is, but that's not the topic being discussed here.

And it's not about making golf for wealthy people only.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, Piz said:

That being said...if some of the people playing golf now ( no pun intended) stay with the game once they can return to what they had been doing (tennis, bowling, etc...) then golf may come out ahead in the long run.

And in all those places that golf closed, it’s equally possible that some casual golfers found other pastimes to take the place of golf...

I’m genuinely shocked that anyone could even pretend to find a net benefit to this horrible situation!   

On 5/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, Piz said:

I did read the OP.  I just think that the silver lining is pretty sparse given the scope of the dark cloud.  

Exactly.  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I’m genuinely shocked that anyone could even pretend to find a net benefit to this horrible situation!

David we are all aware of the severity of this awful event. This isn’t meant to minimize it and act so tone deaf that we’re ignoring the general effect on people’s lives. We’re strictly talking about golf. Some of the points mentioned earlier are just suggesting that despite this disaster there may be something positive in the world of golf. It’s very unlikely that something positive will come for the small business owners, employees and their families. I hope for the best for all of them. But this thread is strictly a suggestion of maybe, just maybe something positive for golf will occur. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

David we are all aware of the severity of this awful event. This isn’t meant to minimize it and act so tone deaf that we’re ignoring the general effect on people’s lives. We’re strictly talking about golf. Some of the points mentioned earlier are just suggesting that despite this disaster there may be something positive in the world of golf. It’s very unlikely that something positive will come for the small business owners, employees and their families. I hope for the best for all of them. But this thread is strictly a suggestion of maybe, just maybe something positive for golf will occur. 🙂

You can’t talk about “golf”, and ignore that ultimately, it’s about people.  Players, owners, course/retail employees, manufacturers, hospitality, the list goes on...

Can you find individual “benefits”?  I guess so.  But I maintain that anyone who thinks that there’s anything even approaching a net benefit, is horribly nearsighted.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!