Jump to content
IGNORED

Beechwood - Thumbs Down


CarlSpackler
 Share

Recommended Posts

I played 9 at Beechwood in Arcanum this afternoon since everyone else was booked solid. I can see why they had an opening. It was in bad shape. I grew up a few miles from there, and it’s the only course in the area since Penn Terra (Presley Beach) closed. There are a lot of dead spots in the fairways, and the greens are looking rough (pun intended). Sad to see this place decline like that. I don’t plan on going back unless the old man invites me out for a round. I’ll just keep going to Homestead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Must not have been very good turf to begin with. But, you can never really know! 

One year, i convinced my buddies to go out and play Windmill Lakes, near Ravenna, OH. This was not my best idea! Windmill was one of the first courses opening. It had suffered greatly under a severe Winter, and was not in the best condition to play! My buddies came away from that experience with negative ideas about the course. They said they didn't care to play it again!

I begged them to reconsider, and we booked another round in high Summer! It was glorious, and my buddies absolutely loved the course! Time of year can make all the difference! 

 

Edited by Buckeyebowman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

38 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Must not have been very good turf to begin with. But, you can never really know! 

One year, i convinced my buddies to go out and play Windmill Lakes, near Ravenna, OH. This was not my best idea! Windmill was one of the first courses opening. It had suffered greatly under a severe Winter, and was not in the best condition to play! My buddies came away from that experience with negative ideas about the course. They said they didn't care to play it again!

I begged them to reconsider, and we booked another round in high Summer! It was glorious, and my buddies absolutely loved the course! Time of year can make all the difference! 

 

In this part of the state, we had flooding in the spring followed by drought in the late summer. It did a toll on my yard that is taking some TLC to recover it. They’ve done done nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

Has every course in the area been swamped with golfers? I’m in Troy for the weekend to visit family. 

Homestead and Miami Shores have been mobbed any time the weather is decent.

I did go to Sugar isle a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad presumably because it was walking only.

Cliffside is apparently shut. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

54 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

Has every course in the area been swamped with golfers? I’m in Troy for the weekend to visit family. 

I tried Homestead, Cassel Hills, and Sugar Isle yesterday and they were all booked solid. With the City of Dayton courses closing for good, there are a ton of golfers looking to play somewhere. Homestead can usually squeeze me in, but not yesterday.

24 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Cliffside is apparently shut. 

That goat track should just close for good. It was cheap though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 9 holes at Piqua Country Club today with a member. I know it’s private, but I think they sometimes have public tee times during the week. 
I don’t know how covid is affecting that, though, but it might be worth a call. Pretty nice shape right now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, rvanculin said:

I played 9 holes at Piqua Country Club today with a member. I know it’s private, but I think they sometimes have public tee times during the week. 
I don’t know how covid is affecting that, though, but it might be worth a call. Pretty nice shape right now 

Quite a few private clubs are doing that. I've considered joining Miami Valley CC. They are running memberships at $300 / month with no food minimums. I might do that next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Quite a few private clubs are doing that. I've considered joining Miami Valley CC. They are running memberships at $300 / month with no food minimums. I might do that next year.

$300 a month with no initiation fee?

Wow. They must be scuffling. Don't those sort of places normally hit you for $10K or so just to get in the door?

With our luck, you'll probably be seeing out another golf course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

$300 a month with no initiation fee?

Wow. They must be scuffling. Don't those sort of places normally hit you for $10K or so just to get in the door?

With our luck, you'll probably be seeing out another golf course.

Doing this really bolstered their membership. Many private clubs are dropping the big cash layout since fewer people are willing pony up a wad of cash when there are nice clubs like Beavercreek, Yankee Trace, Heatherwood, etc. that don't require it. Meadowbrook (now public but still maintained nicely) is offering a discounted $1000 membership (also very tempting) for the remainder of the year. You simply cannot compete with that unless you have the prestige of NCR CC, Moraine CC, or Dayton CC. I have several business associates who would sponsor me at NCR, but with 2 kids in college, it's not in the cards right now. Perhaps in a few years when they are supporting themselves...

MVGC is a Donald Ross design, the second oldest in Ohio, so you know that the greens are brutal. Here is tad bit of history from their website. I'm not sure why they didn't finish the last sentance.

Quote

The 1931 Western Open, won by Ed Dudley (4 rounds at 4 under par) holding off the great Walter Hagen. The 1957 PGA Championship, the last held at match play, and won by Lionel Hebert over Dow Finsterwald 2-1. Many exhibitions by great players including, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Tommy Armour, Bryon Nelson and Babe Didrickson Zaharias.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 Share




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Most of my rounds are at 4,200 ft, at sea level that 3W is probably 15ish yards shorter.  I’m not as long as it sounds, unfortunately.  I would utilize the 3W on more than just 14 tee shots (2nd shot on par 5s, choke down for some 190-230 shots, hit some low punch shots). I’m certainly not saying you’re thinking about anything wrong (as far as your game and selection), I was hung up on the “terrible option” comment.  I really like my driver and hybrid as well, if this were a 6 club challenge I’d swap out the 3W for the driver and hybrid all day.  But alas, we only get 5 clubs.
    • The handicap season is over. You should have told him you can warm your balls with whatever you want 😜
    • On my home course I’d take driver, 3-hybrid, 7-iron, SW, and putter. Driver is debatable, because I only hit it 3-4 times per round, so I could probably bring a 3W and drop 3-hybrid and rearrange the irons/wedges (3W, 5-iron, 8-iron, SW, putter). But driver gives me the best chance to score well on the par-5 holes (longest is 505 yards), and I wouldn’t want to give that up, since these holes are where I make birdie most often. 
    • Say a prayer for our state: From M-Live: Michigan reported 15,385 new COVID-19 cases, about 7,693 a day, and 351 deaths on Tuesday, Dec. 7 and Wednesday, Dec. 8. Over the last seven days, Michigan reported an average of 7,203 new, reported cases and 108 new deaths. These are up from 5,980 new cases per day and 71 deaths a week ago. State data, last updated Friday, Dec. 3, shows 65.8% of residents 12 and older have received at least a single dose of COVID-19 vaccine. The state is now seeing the greatest number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients since the start of the pandemic. Previous highs were set in the spring of 2020.
    • Day 130: Cold and drizzly outside so continued working on cupped wrist backswing feel to keep club from going too much inside, and also working on transition move. Transition feels good in slow rehearsal, and okay striking balls at slow speed, but hasn’t translated to 100% speed well yet. 
  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...