IGNORED

Beechwood - Thumbs Down

CarlSpackler

I played 9 at Beechwood in Arcanum this afternoon since everyone else was booked solid. I can see why they had an opening. It was in bad shape. I grew up a few miles from there, and it’s the only course in the area since Penn Terra (Presley Beach) closed. There are a lot of dead spots in the fairways, and the greens are looking rough (pun intended). Sad to see this place decline like that. I don’t plan on going back unless the old man invites me out for a round. I’ll just keep going to Homestead. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Must not have been very good turf to begin with. But, you can never really know! 

One year, i convinced my buddies to go out and play Windmill Lakes, near Ravenna, OH. This was not my best idea! Windmill was one of the first courses opening. It had suffered greatly under a severe Winter, and was not in the best condition to play! My buddies came away from that experience with negative ideas about the course. They said they didn't care to play it again!

I begged them to reconsider, and we booked another round in high Summer! It was glorious, and my buddies absolutely loved the course! Time of year can make all the difference! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

38 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Must not have been very good turf to begin with. But, you can never really know! 

One year, i convinced my buddies to go out and play Windmill Lakes, near Ravenna, OH. This was not my best idea! Windmill was one of the first courses opening. It had suffered greatly under a severe Winter, and was not in the best condition to play! My buddies came away from that experience with negative ideas about the course. They said they didn't care to play it again!

I begged them to reconsider, and we booked another round in high Summer! It was glorious, and my buddies absolutely loved the course! Time of year can make all the difference! 

In this part of the state, we had flooding in the spring followed by drought in the late summer. It did a toll on my yard that is taking some TLC to recover it. They’ve done done nothing. 

23 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

Has every course in the area been swamped with golfers? I’m in Troy for the weekend to visit family. 

Homestead and Miami Shores have been mobbed any time the weather is decent.

I did go to Sugar isle a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad presumably because it was walking only.

Cliffside is apparently shut. 

54 minutes ago, rvanculin said:

Has every course in the area been swamped with golfers? I’m in Troy for the weekend to visit family. 

I tried Homestead, Cassel Hills, and Sugar Isle yesterday and they were all booked solid. With the City of Dayton courses closing for good, there are a ton of golfers looking to play somewhere. Homestead can usually squeeze me in, but not yesterday.

24 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Cliffside is apparently shut. 

That goat track should just close for good. It was cheap though.

I played 9 holes at Piqua Country Club today with a member. I know it’s private, but I think they sometimes have public tee times during the week. 
I don’t know how covid is affecting that, though, but it might be worth a call. Pretty nice shape right now 

1 minute ago, rvanculin said:

I played 9 holes at Piqua Country Club today with a member. I know it’s private, but I think they sometimes have public tee times during the week. 
I don’t know how covid is affecting that, though, but it might be worth a call. Pretty nice shape right now 

Quite a few private clubs are doing that. I've considered joining Miami Valley CC. They are running memberships at $300 / month with no food minimums. I might do that next year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Quite a few private clubs are doing that. I've considered joining Miami Valley CC. They are running memberships at $300 / month with no food minimums. I might do that next year.

$300 a month with no initiation fee?

Wow. They must be scuffling. Don't those sort of places normally hit you for $10K or so just to get in the door?

With our luck, you'll probably be seeing out another golf course.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

$300 a month with no initiation fee?

Wow. They must be scuffling. Don't those sort of places normally hit you for $10K or so just to get in the door?

With our luck, you'll probably be seeing out another golf course.

Doing this really bolstered their membership. Many private clubs are dropping the big cash layout since fewer people are willing pony up a wad of cash when there are nice clubs like Beavercreek, Yankee Trace, Heatherwood, etc. that don't require it. Meadowbrook (now public but still maintained nicely) is offering a discounted $1000 membership (also very tempting) for the remainder of the year. You simply cannot compete with that unless you have the prestige of NCR CC, Moraine CC, or Dayton CC. I have several business associates who would sponsor me at NCR, but with 2 kids in college, it's not in the cards right now. Perhaps in a few years when they are supporting themselves...

MVGC is a Donald Ross design, the second oldest in Ohio, so you know that the greens are brutal. Here is tad bit of history from their website. I'm not sure why they didn't finish the last sentance.

The 1931 Western Open, won by Ed Dudley (4 rounds at 4 under par) holding off the great Walter Hagen. The 1957 PGA Championship, the last held at match play, and won by Lionel Hebert over Dow Finsterwald 2-1. Many exhibitions by great players including, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Tommy Armour, Bryon Nelson and Babe Didrickson Zaharias.