IGNORED

Feeling the Shafts Bend/Load and Unload Through the Golf Ball

When I got fitted for my last driver (5 or so years ago), we tried the regular graphite flex, and the fitter also wanted me to try the senior graphite flex. I couldn't control that senior flex at all. It felt like the clubhead was all over the place, and the monitor showed the results. Left, right, anywhere but the middle. Settled on the regular graphite flex, and I normally don't feel a thing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, Brozario said:

I cannot express how this downplayed factor by instructors should be a part of your basic fundamental understanding of the shaft loading and unloading in the golf swing to massively aid in swing speed and power. 
For 6 years of playing golf and struggling to find that consistency and extra power, it finally dawned on me that feeling the shaft “load” at the end/top of the backswing and then having a fast enough tempo to hold that load down and through (“unload”) the golf ball is a major factor in creating club speed and gain distance without a single doubt.

This why it’s important, if you are serious about getting better, to choose shafts that you can “load and unload” with your Swing tempo; meaning choosing the right shaft flex and stiffness. 
This downplayed factor which is hardly ever spoken of on YouTube and most instructors, which is very surprising to me, should and must be a part of every basic lesson.

I cannot express how important it is to learn to feel the shaft load and unload to create more power.

Im a handi 20, and am happy with my iron play , but my driver is horrible. Recently I have been working on loading and unloading the shaft and it has significantly improved my driver. I try to bend the shaft on irons but its much harder. I do feel bending the shaft is a fundamental understanding to the golf swing. But may not be at the beginner level.  

On 5/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, Brozario said:

I cannot express how this downplayed factor by instructors should be a part of your basic fundamental understanding of the shaft loading and unloading in the golf swing to massively aid in swing speed and power. 
For 6 years of playing golf and struggling to find that consistency and extra power, it finally dawned on me that feeling the shaft “load” at the end/top of the backswing and then having a fast enough tempo to hold that load down and through (“unload”) the golf ball is a major factor in creating club speed and gain distance without a single doubt.

This why it’s important, if you are serious about getting better, to choose shafts that you can “load and unload” with your Swing tempo; meaning choosing the right shaft flex and stiffness. 
This downplayed factor which is hardly ever spoken of on YouTube and most instructors, which is very surprising to me, should and must be a part of every basic lesson.

I cannot express how important it is to learn to feel the shaft load and unload to create more power.

Dude feel ain’t real. Golf is a game of imperfect, once you realize that you just need to stay out of the shit and call the zoo. You’ll be set. I mean Erik and Dave wrote a book on it. 

Loading and Unloading the shaft only occurs during shipping. Flex and Reflex sounds better.

I can load and unload the shaft on my Gold Flex swing trainer. My actual clubs, not so much. Now I can remember feeling balata balls compress on the face of my Orlimar driver back in the day.

8 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Good lord how did I become a scratch golfer without noticing my shaft load and unload? 

And that can be my point. You’ve passed or skipped that stage. As a beginner it might be important 

7 hours ago, Plazule said:

And that can be my point. You’ve passed or skipped that stage. As a beginner it might be important 

Shaft feel is personal in my opinion. If I feel a shaft flex a lot during my swing, I think it is not stiff enough. Too light a shaft can cause contact and dispersion issues for me. 

11 hours ago, Plazule said:

I think you missed his point.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, Brozario said:

I think this is the problem. You haven’t and you can’t. 

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think this is the problem. You haven’t and you can’t. 

To be fair, I don't think it's literally true that you can't :-D Of course, if you can during a real swing either you need to fix your swing or get a way stiffer shaft...

On 4/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, Plazule said:

I definitely skipped that stage since it doesn't actually exist.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, billchao said:

I think you missed his point.

BINGO! 🎯

On 4/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, mdl said:

To be fair, I don't think it's literally true that you can't :-D Of course, if you can during a real swing either you need to fix your swing or get a way stiffer shaft...

I meant he hasn’t nor can’t explain how important it is. Because...it isn’t.