Jump to content
Batchyyyyy

Bending Ping Eye 2 to Match Modern Lofts

13 posts / 606 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I know nothing about bending clubs etc, but if I were to get my hands on a set of the old karsten ping eye 2’s could they be bent to match modern lofts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Batchyyyyy said:

Hi guys, I know nothing about bending clubs etc, but if I were to get my hands on a set of the old karsten ping eye 2’s could they be bent to match modern lofts? 

Without negatively affecting bounce angles or risk breaking the clubs? Probably not.

Why would you want to, anyway? They basically have the same lofts as modern irons (not the super jacked sets), only one club back. So the Eye 2 7i is like a modern 8i, the 8i a modern 9i, and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Batchyyyyy said:

Hi guys, I know nothing about bending clubs etc, but if I were to get my hands on a set of the old karsten ping eye 2’s could they be bent to match modern lofts? 

Modern lofts are as they are due to technological changes in MOI, COG, so that they still behave as one expects a ‘7i’ to behave. Leave the lofts as they are for the Pings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As @Vinsk and @billchao pointed out, there are plenty of reasons to stay away from doing it. Eye 2s were already weak for their time, and trying to bring them even to "traditional" lofts would be an exercise in futility considering they are cast. You might break a couple of them trying to take them even 3 degrees strong. Unfortunately, you would have another 3/4 degrees to go until you got to "modern" lofts. As Bill said, the bounce is a big concern as well, because every degree you strengthen them, you lose a degree of bounce, so clubs that were designed to have 4 degrees of bounce, all of a sudden have -2 if you bend them that strong....talk about a leading edge.

What I've learned about traditional vs. modern lofts is, don't worry about what is on the bottom of the club in relation to how far you hit it. When I first came on this forum, I had a real bone to pick with manufacturers for strengthening lofts so much. Now I don't worry about it, and let people have their distance and feel proud about how far they hit their (x) iron. Between the 2 sets of clubs that I game most regularly, there is about a 20-25 yard distance gap from 7 iron to 7 iron. The funny thing about that is, is that there are only 2 degrees of loft separating them, which should equate to 5-8 yards of distance change, but the tech on modern clubs is so good that they blow old stuff out of the water when it comes to distance, even considering loft.

I'd recommend looking at something newer, or accepting that you are just going to be 1-3 clubs shorter than others in your group. I always thought it was funny when someone would ask me what I hit on a shot when I was gaming my older blades, and I would tell them and they would just look at me funny. They were so used to their modern clubs with modern lofts that it didn't compute to them that I could be hitting such a "long club" for the shot length. Even better was having a 7/8 iron spin back while their PW hopped off the green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Unfortunately, you would have another 3/4 degrees to go until you got to "modern" lofts.

Right, and that’s why I asked what the point would be. They’re literally the same exact lofts as my JPX919 Forged, give or take 0.5-1.0° from club to club.

They would have to bend the Eye 2 PW from 50.5° to 46°, then the 9i from 45° to 41°, then the 8i from 40° to 36°, the 7i from 36° to 32°, the 6i from 32° to 28°, and so on. The heads already exist in lofts that basically match. Essentially the entire process would be bending, for example, a 32° club stronger just to bend a weaker club to 32°. It’s an exercise in futility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn’t matter what the number on the club says.  As long as you know how far you hit each, who cares if it says 7 or 8 on it, as long as you know that that club goes x yards.

Welcome to the site!  :beer:

 

Edited by David in FL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Something most everyone overlooks is shaft length.  I get sick of hearing about “jacked lefts”.  Clubs need to be like that because of improvements over the years.  There is so much more to clubs now than it just changing the bounce.

Your old Ping 5 iron might go 190 yards.  Your NEW 190 yard club might be a 7 iron.  It’s fly at the same height, be far more forgiving and you will be more accurate due to the fact the you’re hitting a 7 iron shaft length vs. 5 iron shaft length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oh I see, you’ve all made very valid points. I was just curious about how feasible or possible it could/would be.
 

 

Imagine a re-released version of these though 😍 perhaps a 30th anniversary edition, forged with traditional/more modern lofts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year at a scramble, I saw a 20-something playing Ping Eye2 irons. Leave well-enough alone! Play them as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/18/2020 at 11:18 PM, Bonvivant said:

As @Vinsk and @billchao pointed out, there are plenty of reasons to stay away from doing it. Eye 2s were already weak for their time, and trying to bring them even to "traditional" lofts would be an exercise in futility considering they are cast. You might break a couple of them trying to take them even 3 degrees strong. Unfortunately, you would have another 3/4 degrees to go until you got to "modern" lofts. As Bill said, the bounce is a big concern as well, because every degree you strengthen them, you lose a degree of bounce, so clubs that were designed to have 4 degrees of bounce, all of a sudden have -2 if you bend them that strong....talk about a leading edge.

What I've learned about traditional vs. modern lofts is, don't worry about what is on the bottom of the club in relation to how far you hit it. When I first came on this forum, I had a real bone to pick with manufacturers for strengthening lofts so much. Now I don't worry about it, and let people have their distance and feel proud about how far they hit their (x) iron. Between the 2 sets of clubs that I game most regularly, there is about a 20-25 yard distance gap from 7 iron to 7 iron. The funny thing about that is, is that there are only 2 degrees of loft separating them, which should equate to 5-8 yards of distance change, but the tech on modern clubs is so good that they blow old stuff out of the water when it comes to distance, even considering loft.

I'd recommend looking at something newer, or accepting that you are just going to be 1-3 clubs shorter than others in your group. I always thought it was funny when someone would ask me what I hit on a shot when I was gaming my older blades, and I would tell them and they would just look at me funny. They were so used to their modern clubs with modern lofts that it didn't compute to them that I could be hitting such a "long club" for the shot length. Even better was having a 7/8 iron spin back while their PW hopped off the green.

Here’s a thought, if you’re set on making Eye 2s “modern lofted”. As stated before, think of the 4-iron as a 5, 5 as a 6, 6 as a 7, etc. There is one thing you might be able to do to make them more “modern”. 

Reshaft then with modern shafts. I’m not sure what the bore tip diameter would need to be. Either parallel or tapered (not sure what Ping was using in 1983, to be honest). But I’m pretty sure that you can probably find out what the tip diameter is for Eye 2s.
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with most everyone else. I wouldn't try to bend them. It doesn't really matter what the loft of your seven iron is as long as you know the yardage it travels.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do it. They'll break.

I've got a fix for you. Take a Sharpie. Grab your irons. Start with your 3i. Write 4 on the bottom. Now take your 4i and write 5 on the bottom. Work your way up to 9 and write P on the bottom. Take your P and write an A on the bottom. Now you have a set of modern lofted irons that say Ping Eye 2 on them.

If you don't want to do that, just buy a newer set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...