Jump to content
IGNORED

Blades vs. Cavity Backs - with Data/Video


Recommended Posts

On 8/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bucki1968 said:

I have a mixed set of Mizuno's. Some JPX Hot metal pros and some forged 221's. I'm always surprised more guys don't go this route.

That seems like an odd mixed set.  Curious what the exact mix is, and what adjustments were necessary?  There would be lie adjustments to match the 225 and 221 (even 223), so I’d imagine JPX would require some as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

That seems like an odd mixed set.  Curious what the exact mix is, and what adjustments were necessary?  There would be lie adjustments to match the 225 and 221 (even 223), so I’d imagine JPX would require some as well.

I wouldn't think you'd have to make any lie adjustments. ... I guess maybe a half degree. Perhaps slight loft adjustments. But maybe not. My guess is you may want to carry (2) eight-irons. Or something like that. 

Here's my guess:

  • PW, 9 iron, 8 iron in the Mizuno Pro 221's.
  • 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron, and 5 iron in the JPX Hot metals. 

Those would blend nicely. Two 7 irons or two 6 irons would also work. It just depends on where you start to feel you need the extra help. 

If it were me I'd most likely do two 8 irons. But I'd have to test them to know for sure. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I wouldn't think you'd have to make any lie adjustments. ... I guess maybe a half degree. Perhaps slight loft adjustments. But maybe not. My guess is you may want to carry (2) eight-irons. Or something like that. 

Here's my guess:

  • PW, 9 iron, 8 iron in the Mizuno Pro 221's.
  • 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron, and 5 iron in the JPX Hot metals. 

Those would blend nicely. Two 7 irons or two 6 irons would also work. It just depends on where you start to feel you need the extra help. 

If it were me I'd most likely do two 8 irons. But I'd have to test them to know for sure. 

4 and 5 iron are JPX. They are easier to hit (for me). I have 4-G in the 221's but just replaced the 4 and 5 irons. All are 1/2 degree flat. 

Edited by Bucki1968

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I wouldn't think you'd have to make any lie adjustments. ... I guess maybe a half degree. Perhaps slight loft adjustments. But maybe not. My guess is you may want to carry (2) eight-irons. Or something like that. 

Here's my guess:

  • PW, 9 iron, 8 iron in the Mizuno Pro 221's.
  • 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron, and 5 iron in the JPX Hot metals. 

Those would blend nicely. Two 7 irons or two 6 irons would also work. It just depends on where you start to feel you need the extra help. 

If it were me I'd most likely do two 8 irons. But I'd have to test them to know for sure. 

Chris Voshall does a pretty in depth discussion on the necessary adjustments to blend the different sets.  I believe I saw it on YouTube, if anyone wants to see it I can try to find it.

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

4 and 5 iron are JPX. They are easier to hit (for me). I have 4-G in the 221's but just replaced the 4 and 5 irons. All are 1/2 degree flat. 

Interesting you you didn’t have to change anything, based on what I saw from the Voshall discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...