IGNORED

Core Golf Swing Lies - A Bunch of BS (We've Given Up on Waiting for Substance… None is Coming)

Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After two months of quarantine, a degree in Physics and a passion for the golf swing and getting better. I have discovered certain lies that we, as golfers believe will help us hit the ball farther, straighter or more consistently. No matter how good I can be hitting the ball, once I hit a bad shot and start thinking and adjusting technique, your game is doomed. From the moment someone swings a golf club for the first time, h/she begins to believe certain things, movements, positions that will help, fix, cure their golf swing woes. The problem is that most of the techniques out there, if not all of the them, have nothing to do with the most efficient and consistent way to swing a golf club. If this were so, then the pros would never "lose their swing," and the average golfer would be able to break 80 no problem. This is not the case until now. The discovery I have made has allowed me to hit the ball crazy good. 50 years old, 145 lb and hitting my 3-W 300 yards.

I am interested to hear what you guys think is the worst thing you might have ever believed about technique and swinging the golf club. What do you think is a lie you are believing you thought helped you golf game, but in fact destroyed it.I'll start.

FINISH THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT . . .

The worst golf tip I thought was a good one was (TO SHIFT MY WEIGHT ON THE BACK SWING AND SHIFT IT BACK ON THE DOWN SWING)

• iacas changed the title to Core Lies You Believe That Destroy Your Golf Swing
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, ellamia said:

The problem is that most of the techniques out there, if not all of the them, have nothing to do with the most efficient and consistent way to swing a golf club. If this were so, then the pros would never "lose their swing," and the average golfer would be able to break 80 no problem.

Oh boy.

This is not the case until now. The discovery I have made has allowed me to hit the ball crazy good. 50 years old, 145 lb and hitting my 3-W 300 yards.

Where's the proof?

The worst golf tip I thought was a good one was (TO SHIFT MY WEIGHT ON THE BACK SWING AND SHIFT IT BACK ON THE DOWN SWING)

The weight does shift back and then forward during the golf swing. The game's best players do this. The pressure shifts even more, and the weight shift on the backswing is not as great as some people think, but it's still there.

On the "random new guy pitches an earth-shattering, never-heard-or-seen-before swing thing" scale, which goes from albatross to triple bogey, I'll give you a bogey. 

You gained points for:

• "All of golf instruction is bad but I have the secret" vibes.
  • Outrageous but unproven claims.
  • Citing something as "wrong" that almost none of the game's best players do.

You lost points for:

• No video, no website, nada.
  • No mathematical formulas or pseudo-science or terminology.
  • No visual aids of any kind, no font styling, etc.

But hey, you can always improve your score on the next hole.

Please take the above as light-hearted, and understand that we've seen a TON of these kinds of claims, and they've never panned out. Maybe yours will. But sell us. Don't tease, sell. Discuss. Share.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ellamia said:

. The discovery I have made has allowed me to hit the ball crazy good. 50 years old, 145 lb and hitting my 3-W 300 yards...

I am interested to hear what you guys think...

What I think, is that you’re smoking crack!  :-D

Welcome to the site.  I’m looking forward to seeing a lot more detail/evidence/proof...

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

No videos or website.... Mathematical formulas coming soon with some visual aids.   I just wanted to get some feedback on what others thought about lies they might believe that are supposed to help but funny how your game tends to get worse.   Come on.... let's hear some lies you guys believe about the golf swing.   Theory is that if it is not something that will actually improve your golf swing and you believe it will help.  Then you will act according to your beliefs.  If your belief is a lie and unhelpful, then no matter how well you do it, the ending result will not be good.  Other ideas of lies are....

The Sequence of the Hips, arms, release, weight shift

How much effort to put into swinging the arms?

Drop the arms at the beginning of the downswing

Clear hips, hands lead, 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ellamia said:

I just wanted to get some feedback on what others thought about lies they might believe that are supposed to help but funny how your game tends to get worse.

I don't see the point in that, particularly when your first "lie" isn't a "lie."

I've renamed the topic.

It no longer reads "Core Lies You Believe That Destroy Your Golf Swing" but instead reads "I've Solved the Golf Swing, Take 497."

Again, in mostly good fun for now, because I think it's highly unlikely some random person is going to figure out something that other almost surely smarter people haven't yet.

So, out with it. At which point I'll rename the title again with something that makes more sense and applies to your "theory."

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to I've Solved the Golf Swing, Take 497

The biggest lie I’ve ever heard about the golf swing is that someone has the magic cure for anybody and everybody and they will reveal that for 4 easy payments of $39.95. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

I think alot of the "lies" are misunderstandings that people have made from what they have heard. Sure there is some bad advices around probably, but even those might work as exaggerations to fix something, however you'd have to understand the big picture to know when you have overdone it.

I also believe the efficiency and accuracy go very close to hand in hand, which is why the guys on tour have very efficient and accurate swings. Surely most could get more power out by "pushing" out of the ground harder or whatever, but when you have a machine that is making you millions, don't touch it with a angle grinder, maybe adjust gently with screwdriver.

7 hours ago, ellamia said:

No videos or website.... Mathematical formulas coming soon with some visual aids.   I just wanted to get some feedback on what others thought about lies they might believe that are supposed to help but funny how your game tends to get worse.   Come on.... let's hear some lies you guys believe about the golf swing.   Theory is that if it is not something that will actually improve your golf swing and you believe it will help.  Then you will act according to your beliefs.  If your belief is a lie and unhelpful, then no matter how well you do it, the ending result will not be good.  Other ideas of lies are....

The Sequence of the Hips, arms, release, weight shift

How much effort to put into swinging the arms?

Drop the arms at the beginning of the downswing

Clear hips, hands lead, 

I’d say the biggest lie is probably the self-con that occurs in golf. Golf is such a difficult sport despite it not being obvious to the observer. Watching a wide receiver in action in the NFL or an NBA player it’s easily said, ‘ I can’t do that.’ But so many people are convinced they can play golf like ‘those guys on TV’ that they start refusing to believe that they have to do it like they do. That those pros must be doing it harder than it needs to be. They start to convince themselves that there must be an easier way. There isn’t. If there was they would do it. 
Now I know you’re going to say, ‘ but there are many different swings on tour.’ Yes. But they all have five keys in common. You can research on this site what those five are and if you disagree....let’s see you prove it. Cheers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

The biggest lie I’ve ever heard about the golf swing is that someone has the magic cure for anybody and everybody and they will reveal that for 4 easy payments of $39.95. 

You forgot to include the tax.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@ellamia, well?

Waiting Gif GIF

Whaddya got?

• Like 2

The secret to swinging a golf club has been discovered more times than Noah' Ark.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 5/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, ellamia said:

After two months of quarantine, a degree in Physics and a passion for the golf swing and getting better. I have discovered certain lies that we, as golfers believe will help us hit the ball farther, straighter or more consistently. No matter how good I can be hitting the ball, once I hit a bad shot and start thinking and adjusting technique, your game is doomed. From the moment someone swings a golf club for the first time, h/she begins to believe certain things, movements, positions that will help, fix, cure their golf swing woes. The problem is that most of the techniques out there, if not all of the them, have nothing to do with the most efficient and consistent way to swing a golf club. If this were so, then the pros would never "lose their swing," and the average golfer would be able to break 80 no problem. This is not the case until now. The discovery I have made has allowed me to hit the ball crazy good. 50 years old, 145 lb and hitting my 3-W 300 yards.

I thought this was tongue and cheek... are we supposed to believe you? ... I hope not. I thought you were just trying to find a clever way to introduce your topic. 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, ellamia said:

I am interested to hear what you guys think is the worst thing you might have ever believed about technique and swinging the golf club. What do you think is a lie you are believing you thought helped you golf game, but in fact destroyed it.I'll start.

FINISH THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT . . .

I thought this was the point of your post? To which I'd answer

The worst golf tip I thought was a good one was you have to accelerate the putter through the ball......

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The worst golf tip I had was from @David in FL who told me to have one more before going out for our singles matches. The bartender at his club is not shy with the vodka, I can tell you that. I had to guess which ball to hit for first 2-3 holes.

- Shane

6 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The worst golf tip I had was from @David in FL who told me to have one more before going out for our singles matches. The bartender at his club is not shy with the vodka, I can tell you that. I had to guess which ball to hit for first 2-3 holes.

Knowing @David in FL, I know you were playing him for money 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Knowing @David in FL, I know you were playing him for money 😜

Actually we were on the same team in Ryder Cup style matches. We played 27 that day. 9 holes of fourball, 9 holes of foursomes (we played greensomes which is what Tiger, Phil, Peyton, and TB played last weekend on the back nine), and 9 hole singles matches. It was a lot of fun, and I won 3 points for the Americans even though that last one was down to the wire since I was on wobbly legs.

• Like 1

- Shane

• Administrator

Let's stick to the topic. @ellamia? The floor is yours. Give us something.

Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!