20 posts / 2587 viewsLast Reply

Hi - new member here. 

I'm a long-time hacker, generally averaging around 110, but I have not played in a while and I've never played regularly.  But I'm looking to start up again and hopefully get out more regularly.   My current setup is 20+ years old (Big Bertha X-12), so I am looking to get something more current.  Upon perusing the interweb, I see about a dozen or more iron/hybrid sets listed as "game-improvement" or "Super game-improvement".  I understand clubs won't fix a problem, but also understand a more forgiving club won't hurt. 

On the forum, I see most members recommend getting a fitting, which I am happy to do.  My goal is to try to have the best information before I go in. 

So, the question is what sets people might recommend if I am trying to narrow the list.  For example, even just for Calloway, I see BigBertha, Steelhead XR, Mavrik MAX, and EpicForged all on lists for high-handicappers.  Similarly, I see multiple Ping, TaylorMade, and Mizuno sets.  Then there's a question on full hybrid sets like the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo's - are these viewed negatively (not exactly sure how to phrase that)?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help getting active again! 

Are you looking for new or 'kind of' new clubs? What is your budget?  I don't know if there is a right answer to your question as there are many options out there depending on what you are looking to spend.  I agree with getting fitted, but you may be pushed into the newer clubs, which isn't a bad thing, unless you have a limit on funds.

I prefer Pings, so I would recommend the G410 or G710 irons as they are very forgiving, as well as the G400 or G410 Driver and Fairway woods.

I think the first thing is to establish a budget, if there is no budget then it's all about what feels and fits you the best.  If you have a budget it will take some time researching what works best with the price you have.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, beermati said:

Hi - new member here. 

I'm a long-time hacker, generally averaging around 110, but I have not played in a while and I've never played regularly.  But I'm looking to start up again and hopefully get out more regularly.   My current setup is 20+ years old (Big Bertha X-12), so I am looking to get something more current.  Upon perusing the interweb, I see about a dozen or more iron/hybrid sets listed as "game-improvement" or "Super game-improvement".  I understand clubs won't fix a problem, but also understand a more forgiving club won't hurt. 

On the forum, I see most members recommend getting a fitting, which I am happy to do.  My goal is to try to have the best information before I go in. 

So, the question is what sets people might recommend if I am trying to narrow the list.  For example, even just for Calloway, I see BigBertha, Steelhead XR, Mavrik MAX, and EpicForged all on lists for high-handicappers.  Similarly, I see multiple Ping, TaylorMade, and Mizuno sets.  Then there's a question on full hybrid sets like the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo's - are these viewed negatively (not exactly sure how to phrase that)?

You’re probably better off putting the money towards lessons. If you average 110, there might not be much a fitter can do for you.

Thanks for those replies.

@billchao - yes, lessons are on the docket, also.  I've had them before, a big part of the issue is not enough playing.

@JGus - thanks, budget isn't a huge issue, but I would like to balance cost/benefit.  For example, I'm happy getting a 2019 model if there isn't a significant reason to go to 2020.

I've had several sets of high handicap irons.  They are the easiest to come by and available to anyone.  Over the years...my high handicap irons have improved across the board.  The same holds true for drivers, fairways, and hybrids.  It is almost as if the clubs do not really matter.

41 minutes ago, beermati said:

For example, I'm happy getting a 2019 model if there isn't a significant reason to go to 2020.

You’d be fine with a 2015 model. And I agree with @billchao on the fitting. As long as you’re not 6’5 or 4’0 a standard length should be fine. Start with lessons then do a fitting later on.

@Piz - that's what I feel like.  They all seem about the same in reading the reviews, which is why it's so confusing.  I'm thinking any set that's 6-W, 4H, 5H will be fine.  I hit the 5i ok (that's a relative statement 🙂 ), but feel like the 5H will be more forgiving.

@Vinsk - thanks, I wasn't sure on the fitting, but it seems to be the "go to" advise on most forums.  I'm 5'9' and from what I remember tend to have higher than average club speed, but I think that's more related to poor form than anything else.

1 hour ago, beermati said:

but it seems to be the "go to" advise on most forums.

Fitting is a good thing for sure. A bit overrated overall though. But for you specifically I think your time and money would be better spent with instruction. With a 30+ hcp you’ll get a pretty rapid improvement at first. You’ll probably make some significant changes to your current swing but nothing at this point that would be significantly affected by tweaking a standard set of steel, stiff shafts.

10 hours ago, beermati said:

@Piz - that's what I feel like.  They all seem about the same in reading the reviews, which is why it's so confusing.

I've found in life (as a general rule-of-thumb guide), that if a choice is difficult because none of the options stands out as being the obvious best choice, then there might not be a wrong choice. 

I can then relax: there might be relative benefits/drawbacks to any particular option, but I can't make a wrong decision, because there isn't one.  YMMV.

First: how much time are you willing to invest in practice? Lessons are good if you practice. You can waste money there, too, if you don't practice. 

Around here, practicing seems to be forbidden at driving ranges at the moment. 

Also you can order a set of Cobra F9 Speedback irons for about $600 new direct from Cobra if golf stores are still closed in your area like they are mine. At 5'9" standard length and lie are probably okay. I have the F9 hybrids in 4H and 5H and love them. The set also comes with Cobra Connect (Arccos) which you can use with your phone to keep track of your on course stats, if you keep your phone in your front pocket when you swing the club... if you can get used to that. 

I'm an 18 HCP. My first game, I stopped counting. I went the lesson club fitting route. I'm not overly physically adept. I walk the course but not an athlete. Took it up 8 years ago.

My wife and I get out up to 60 times a year. Got the fitted clubs 4 years ago. Loved the experience. Met a great guy. Went back and He fitted and sold me a driver.

It took me 2 years after getting fitted to really start to feel the clubs.

Last year I picked up a Ping eye 2 iron set for $100. They are 30 years old. I alternate with the modern set. I hit them about the same. 

Of course, get a set that is the right size and fit. Meets your "shiny new toy" eye (thats important) and fits your budget...but there's no substitute for lessons and practice...and playing golf on the course.

@DrvFrShow - thanks, I appreciate your reply.  We are joining a golf club, so play/practice/lessons are all 'mandatory' so to speak as we want to get the most out of the membership.  Over the years, I've had periods where I took lessons but I was never able to play/practice consistently afterwards, or eventually work/life intervened.  Our driving range is closed for practice currently also.  Good information on the Cobra F9s.  Our stores are open, so I will take a look when I am able to head over there.

@uitar9 - congratulations on getting to the 18 HCP, I would be very happy with that level!  Also, I appreciate hearing about your experience with the fitting.  

6 hours ago, beermati said:

@DrvFrShow - thanks, I appreciate your reply.  We are joining a golf club, so play/practice/lessons are all 'mandatory' so to speak as we want to get the most out of the membership.  Over the years, I've had periods where I took lessons but I was never able to play/practice consistently afterwards, or eventually work/life intervened.  Our driving range is closed for practice currently also.  Good information on the Cobra F9s.  Our stores are open, so I will take a look when I am able to head over there.

@uitar9 - congratulations on getting to the 18 HCP, I would be very happy with that level!  Also, I appreciate hearing about your experience with the fitting.  

Note on the Cobras. If you don't like the Lamkin Crossline grips (some people love them, I don't) you can get them with Golf Pride Tour Velvet with the Cobra Connect - you just have to specify that when the store orders the set.... and Cobra will send you an extra 6 grips and a putter sensor. I'd also look at their Forged Tec irons which also come with the Arccos system. You might love them. 

On 5/26/2020 at 12:55 PM, beermati said:

Hi - new member here. 

Welcome Beermati. I highly recommend the HB Turbos. I've demo'd them and they feel great. I bought the HB3's, 10 years ago and still game them. Overall, hybrid irons are much easier to hit and with less slicing. I never worried about any stigma attached to them. Also, since Cobra, Wilson and Tour Edge have their own hybrid iron sets, it's pretty much main stream these days. If you are still concerned, maybe create your own hybrid set. 3, 4 and 5 on the HB3 hybrid irons and 6-W on something else or use your Big-Bertha's for a while along with the HB turbos. 

Also, a 12 degree driver will help you stay straighter off the tee. 

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

I have a set of the HB Launcher and love them. I know they are not for everyone but I really like hitting hybrids so I bought a full set of them, (4 to gap). I would pass on the gap and sand wedge and by them separately, e.g., Cleveland, Ping other wedges that feel right for you. Give them a try if you can.

Let us know what you decide?

On regular clubs I was always a big Cobra fan, still have a set of bafflers that I play once in a while. I use Cobra woods and driver now.

@cooke119 & @Sandhills Golfe - thanks for the feedback on the HB hybrids!  Also good to know on the 12* driver.

@DrvFrShow - good to know those options on the Cobras!

I had hoped to get to golf shop over the weekend to get some hands-on viewing of options, but that didn't happen.  Hopefully this week, or next weekend at the latest!

Update:

I spent a long time at the golf shop yesterday and hit a nice variety of clubs.  I ended up getting the Callaway Steelhead XR Combo Hybrids/Iron Set (4H, 5H, 6i-PW) with Project X Graphite shafts, on sale $599.   I was hitting them pretty consistently and price was nice.  I also tried some 5-woods, but was not having much luck with them.  In fact, I was consistently hitting the 5 Hybrid 200 yards on the Trackman, it was very forgiving. 

I had not planned on getting a driver now, but after trying Mavrik (was hitting well), M6 (not consistent), I liked the 12* Callaway Epic Flash, which is also on sale for $350.  I'm going to head back today and try the driver again. 

Also, I need to look at wedges.

Beermati, It looks like you are on a Callaway track, which is good. Check out callaway pre-owned on line. You might round out your set with other Callaway used clubs. The clubs come in really good condition as you would expect from Callaway as opposed to some random dude on ebay.