IGNORED

Tiger Woods HBO Documentary

iacas
Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

“One of the things that was surprising about making this was how much everybody — from the people in his life today to the people who were cut out of his life, often in harsh ways — are still so protective of Tiger,” Hamachek said. “I think they witnessed the pressure, the expectations, all those identities being pressed upon him at a young age, and I think he talked to them about it.”

I agree with that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember when Tiger started his professional career; there were many golfers, for whatever reason, were against him. One of my playing partners at the time rooted against him - anybody but Tiger.  Maybe he was too cocky - at least one professional golfer at the time thought so - watch or re-watch this Curtis Strange 1996 interview.

Edited by iacas
Please embed video

17 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

I remember when Tiger started his professional career; there were many golfers, for whatever reason, were against him. One of my playing partners at the time rooted against him - anybody but Tiger.  Maybe he was too cocky - at least one professional golfer at the time thought so - watch or re-watch this Curtis Strange 1996 interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iElAEfPq56Q

Curtis Strange in this interview comes off really bad.   "...you'll learn..."

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

One of my playing partners at the time rooted against him - anybody but Tiger.  Maybe he was too cocky

Maybe he was too black?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, MiuraMan said:

I remember when Tiger started his professional career; there were many golfers, for whatever reason, were against him. One of my playing partners at the time rooted against him - anybody but Tiger.  Maybe he was too cocky - at least one professional golfer at the time thought so - watch or re-watch this Curtis Strange 1996 interview.

Yeah but Curtis came back and ate crow by saying, ‘ yeah...you ARE that good.’

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Maybe he was too black?

It is difficult to really know what is in someone's heart/mind, but I would agree that it was probably due to an implicit bias. 

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Curtis Strange in this interview comes off really bad.   "...you'll learn..."

Yes, he was a wise old 41 year old at the time.  My dad told me wisdom comes hard until you're 50.

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yes, he was a wise old 41 year old at the time.  My dad told me wisdom comes hard until you're 50.

At the end of the day, as careers are tabulated, I guess it was Curtis Strange that "learned".

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:
3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

When I was 18 my dad was a moron...when I became 40 I couldn’t believe how much he had learned.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe he was too black?

That is my recollection of the early days, when the forum action was rec.sports.golf on usenet.  Usually masquerading as "he's getting these endorsements without having done anything.  As if putting up the best amateur record of the modern age in spectacular fashion was nothing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I wonder why the ESPN doc and this one were so closely timed together. Is the ESPN doc going to be mostly forgotten now?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Watched the first episode on Monday. If you read the recent book about Tiger, there was nothing really new in Part one of the documentary. I was surprised that his former golf instructor admitted the adulteries committed by Earl and himself. He seems genuine that he was regretful for Tiger having the two role models that he had growing up. I was also surprised that they got his high school girl friend to talk so much.

41kEE3Xba0L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I have not seen it or read the book. I need to try and catch it though.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• iacas changed the title to Tiger HBO Documentary
  • Administrator

So I thought there was more to that letter that Dina read, and why you can't really "believe" everything you're seeing or hearing, even if it's in a "documentary."

tiger_dina_letter.jpg

tiger_dina_letter.pdf

It's evident that people think that this is true because, for example:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

Here are 15 takeaways from Episode 1 of the Tiger Woods documentary, 'Tiger,' on HBO.

Not long after, Parr received a letter from Tiger. It began, “Dina, the reason for writing this letter is to inform you my parents and myself never want to talk or hear from you again.”

It didn't "begin" like that.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So I thought there was more to that letter that Dina read, and why you can't really "believe" everything you're seeing or hearing, even if it's in a "documentary."

tiger_dina_letter.jpg

tiger_dina_letter.pdf 2.52 MB · 0 downloads

It's evident that people think that this is true because, for example:

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

Here are 15 takeaways from Episode 1 of the Tiger Woods documentary, 'Tiger,' on HBO.

Not long after, Parr received a letter from Tiger. It began, “Dina, the reason for writing this letter is to inform you my parents and myself never want to talk or hear from you again.”

It didn't "begin" like that.

Tiger used cursive writing? I thought that was out? 😀

• iacas changed the title to Tiger Woods HBO Documentary

I watched the first half and I felt like @DeadMan   It was well done. The high school girlfriend was a bit strange at times but otherwise it was a nice view into his life.

I am very skeptical of part 2. They intro’d with the supposed madam. That can’t be a good sign.

Either way, I’ll watch it. 

Michael

I enjoyed part 1. Very interesting the way they portrayed his upbringing. I can’t say that I knew that. Will watch part 2. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I enjoyed the first part. It was interesting to see the videos of him with Dina. It was nice to see him as average kid with his friemds.  Wasnt too much of what isnt already known. Now I think I will be in the minority here but I honestly dont care about his cheating. Im actually amazed he could play golf at that high of a level, be in a marriage, and have all that side action all at the same time. I can barely keep a very poor round together let alone all 3 of those. 

After reading an article about the documentary and the recent stuff with JT, it's hard to understand at what point you go from being an ordinary golfer to an entertainer.  Tiger started as an entertainer.  He knew the game he had to play.  I'd be lying if I said what happened in his personal life didn't matter to me.  But, after watching the father son challenge, I like that it seems that his priorities have been switched.

I try to keep it about golf, but who you choose as an idol dives deeper into personal values.  But if the person is an entertainer and is putting on a show while playing a sport, you never really know the values.  

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!