Sign in to follow this  
PCgolf

Beginner Clubs

5 posts / 292 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys, 

First time poster, just looking for some advice on a new set of clubs. Been playing golf inconsistently growing up just with hand me downs but latley been getting into it more and wanted to upgrade my clubs. I can get a Callaway X-20 NG 4-9 iron set with PW and SW for $340 or slotline striker 4-5 Hybrid with 6-9 irons and PW and SW for 300. That would be my max budget, most places I’ve said invest in a good second hand pair rather then brand new less known clubs. Just wondering more about the slotline striker clubs and havnt been able to find much on them, just looking for more forgiving clubs with better accuracy. Any other clubs you can reccomend and/or advice on the ones mentioned would be really appreciated! Cheers guys  

I think that's sound advice. No sense jumping in with 2 feet and spending a ton of money. I don't know anything about Slotline. Just looked at them on Ebay, and you can get complete sets of irons for about 80 bucks, with shipping included! Might not be a bad way to start. 

But, Callaway is a well established company with a solid reputation. I just bought an Epic Flash Driver off the "pre-owned" site and love it! Their stuff is first quality. 

However, if you're asking which will work better for you, we have no way of knowing. In many cases, you buy a set of clubs, and "learn" how to hit them! I had the same experience with my new Driver.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When a beginner buys clubs they become beginner's clubs.  Whether your first set costs 30 dollars or 3000 dollars; they are still beginner's clubs.

For $399, you can get a full set of Callaway Strata which includes D, 3W, 4H, 5H, 6-PW, SW, Putter, Bag, 4 headcovers. 

Costco: for $499 Callaway Edge set: D, 3W, 5H, 6-PW, SW, Odyssey Putter, 3 head covers, no bag.

They're a little more than you want to spend, but... Are you going to get the bug?

Finding a set of irons used right now is going to be tough because of the coronavirus stuff. People aren't buying because in many states golf shops are still considered non-essential businesses.

Callaway: Lookup 2015 BIG BERTHA iron set 5 - PW. Whatever you do, don't get a 4-iron... save yourself the trouble.

In your price range, in fact for less money, you could also get a brand new set of Wilson Staff D-200 irons - check out that retail site named after a jungle. As a matter of fact that is what I would wind up getting, Wilson Staff is a good brand.