IGNORED

How Would You Play This Hole (#5, Links at Firestone Farms)

billchao
Note: This thread is 1415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please read the OP  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming you can carry your driver at least 265yd, with a severe headwind, how would you play this hole to shoot the lowest score on average?

It essentially depends on two things.  The danger around the green when going for it and the ability for a driver to hold the green.  If the bunker and rough is penalising, then laying up makes sense.  If it would be pretty easy to play out of, go for it.  The other factor is holding a green when you hit a driver.  If that is difficult to do and either needs you to land short and run on, or will lead to you running over the green, then that needs to be weighed.  Essentially, your second shot should be easier than a 50 to yard shot in.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I was hitting driver well prior to this hole I’d go for the green because it’s fun. I’d aim at the left center of the green. When I’m in sync with driver, my driver misses are almost exclusively left of target. I typically get around 270 carry on good swings. Doubt I’d carry all the way to the green in a headwind, but I’d probably be short in the large bunker, short in the rough in front of the green, or left in the fairway.

If I wasn’t feeling good with driver, I’d probably hit a 4-iron, 3h, or 5W to the left of the large bunker and try to leave a 50-75 yard shot into the green.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

10 hours ago, billchao said:

My group was with @iacas, @klineka, and myself who played from the Burgundy tees, with @Hardspoon playing from the Black tees.

I assume that I would be playing from the chartreuse or taupe tees because I can only hit my driver 265 with a 30 mph tail wind! 😜 My shot zone is set up for a draw, so I would likely aim toward the back left bunker with driver and not try to carry the right side green. If the wind is slightly left to right and I execute, I would be in the area to the left of the green.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I assume that I would be playing from the chartreuse or taupe tees

I played the black tees (one forward of burgundy tees) since it was about 6300. On several holes including this one, the gold and burgundy tees seemed to be similar length with a better angle.

- Shane

Assuming I could reach the green, even considering the wind. I'd probably be aiming driver at the "center" bunker, or a few yards right of it, between the bunker and the green.  That leaves a lot of room both left and right of my intended line.  Using my actual driving distance, and knowing its into a stiff wind, I'd still hit driver, but just a few yards further left, trying to split the fairway.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If the tees were so far forward that I actually had a chance to hit the green, it would mostly depend on the bunkers themselves and how well or poorly I've been hitting out of sand.

Looks like a nice course so I assume there is decent sand in those bunkers. When I actually practice bunker shots (and it's been a while), I can get out of them ok. So I'd want to know how big a lip I'd have to negotiate on the big bunker and what the chances are of catching a fried egg.

Anything less than reasonable confidence coming out of the sand would mean the layup. Probably targeting halfway between the two smaller bunkers on the left. 

I ended up voting how I should have played it, which is to lay up. It’s a short hole and the risk of going for it is too great versus the reward.

That said, I went for it because it was the fun thing to do and I was pretty sure I’d probably never play there again.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Nobody saying “driver” is correct given the question: if you want to shoot the lowest score on average.

Laying up here is certainly the less interesting play but scores are going to be higher going for the green.

Your Shot Zones are huge compared to the green, folks. And there’s a penalty area right beside the green. Very dark.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

I ended up voting how I should have played it, which is to lay up. It’s a short hole and the risk of going for it is too great versus the reward.

That said, I went for it because it was the fun thing to do and I was pretty sure I’d probably never play there again.

I voted "go for it", but my answer is kind of a hybrid.  If I actually could hit it that far, I'd be trying to hit it nearly green-high, but aiming well left of the green to minimize my chances of hitting it into the " @billchao rough" to the right.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I voted "go for it", but my answer is kind of a hybrid.  If I actually could hit it that far, I'd be trying to hit it nearly green-high, but aiming well left of the green to minimize my chances of hitting it into the " @billchao rough" to the right.

That’s a penalty area.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As I'm new to this forum, I should say I play in the UK and off 10.6 hcp. I'd hit a low 4 iron off a low tee peg and hopefully leave myself about 85yds to the pin, which, into a strong headwind would have to be a solidly struck knock down punch into the green with an 8 or maybe 9 iron. (Don't think I'd risk putting one up into the air too much). Likelihood is though, that my 4 iron would climb a bit and I'd end up with the thick end of 120 yds to go (which is still a good percentage shot with an 8 iron knock down punch). Then I'd go on and probably 3 putt it like I mostly do!!

12 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

I would lay up given the scenario you laid out. I have the length currently to reach with no head wind, but into a severe headwind no chance so might as well take the bunkers out of play. Depending on how severe the headwind is might hit anything from a 3w to 5i to accomplish that. 

this would be my answer

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nobody saying “driver” is correct given the question: if you want to shoot the lowest score on average.

Laying up here is certainly the less interesting play but scores are going to be higher going for the green.

Your Shot Zones are huge compared to the green, folks. And there’s a penalty area right beside the green. Very dark.

My driver is my lay up. I’m quite confident in my driver and could hit the fairway and avoid that bunker. Even in the bunker I’m confident to make par. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Who on here can carry a  driver 265 into a “severe headwind”? It’s a lay up in stroke play even down wind. Match play it depends on the game situation. If I was to go for it I’d be aiming left of the green and fade it back. 

Stevie T

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

My driver is my lay up. I’m quite confident in my driver and could hit the fairway and avoid that bunker. Even in the bunker I’m confident to make par. 

It said assume you carry your driver 265.

1 minute ago, Beastie said:

Who on here can carry a  driver 265 into a “severe headwind”? 

A number of us can, @billchao did it in the round and had like 25 feet for eagle.

Plus it was 265 to the center of the green, which means it was only like 250-255 to the front edge.

I wasn't hitting my driver great that day but a well struck drive for me can carry that, especially since it was a bit downhill.

Driver still isn't the play even though on a normal driving day I'm long enough to carry it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
1 minute ago, klineka said:

Plus it was 265 to the center of the green, which means it was only like 250-255 to the front edge.

Downhill too.

Still not the "best" play for the question though. 😄

Note: This thread is 1415 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!