Jump to content
Cut4

Are today's blades more forgiving? I need some recommendations

7 posts / 621 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

So I bought a set of AP3's last year on sale, and I hate them. They're too big and too offset for me. I pulled the old 690 MB's out of the closet this weekend and struck the ball much better and felt more comfortable, but my game isn't what it once was, and I was wondering what kind of difference I'd see between them and a modern set of blades in regards to distance and forgiveness. I get that CB's or AP2/T100's might be a good compromise, but if I wanted blades, what are the more forgiving options? Anyone play the King forged combo? I'm a lefty, so my Mizuno options are limited (Never should have sold my MP 54's!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cut4 said:

So I bought a set of AP3's last year on sale, and I hate them. They're too big and too offset for me. I pulled the old 690 MB's out of the closet this weekend and struck the ball much better and felt more comfortable, but my game isn't what it once was, and I was wondering what kind of difference I'd see between them and a modern set of blades in regards to distance and forgiveness. I get that CB's or AP2/T100's might be a good compromise, but if I wanted blades, what are the more forgiving options? Anyone play the King forged combo? I'm a lefty, so my Mizuno options are limited (Never should have sold my MP 54's!)

Lefty here. You may like the ‘players distance’ irons that are out there. Depends on how much of the ‘blade’ style you want. Callaway Apex Pro are very nice clubs. I loved my Mizuno MP-54s. I just got more distance yet same dispersion with my current set, Callaway Mavrik Pro irons. But hey...my Mizuno 54’s are in good shape and I’ll sell them to you for well below their value being a TST member.....😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Lefty here. You may like the ‘players distance’ irons that are out there. Depends on how much of the ‘blade’ style you want. Callaway Apex Pro are very nice clubs. I loved my Mizuno MP-54s. I just got more distance yet same dispersion with my current set, Callaway Mavrik Pro irons. But hey...my Mizuno 54’s are in good shape and I’ll sell them to you for well below their value being a TST member.....😃

I'll keep that in mind. Any interest in a swap for some AP3's? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cut4 said:

I'll keep that in mind. Any interest in a swap for some AP3's? lol

Well your  AP3’s are probably quite newer than the 54’s...but sure..I’m in.

I love messing around with different clubs. I have some Titleist 714MB irons, Ping i200 as well.😃

Edited by Vinsk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just recently bought some Titleist 620 MBs as more of a experiment more than anything and I'm completely hooked now. I started out by only buying PW-8i to see if I could get a feel for them because they're muscle backs and the only irons I've ever played have been game improvement irons up until now. It didn't take long to fall in love with these 620 MBs and the mis hits really don't seem like that big of a deal (specially compared to how you hear people talk about it).

Could I get more mileage out of sticking to GI irons? Maybe, but who knows and I'm not a data guy so I'm not going to be spending any time obsessing over numbers to find out either, and I also don't play enough for it to matter. If I make a bad swing with my GI irons I get a poor result, same thing applies to these MBs, so for me personally I'm sticking with these and buying more of them because I've never hit anything that has sounded so good or felt as good as these 620 MBs! If I had to use one word to describe them it would be "solid"..they are just very solid..solid feeling and they even sound solid...specially compared to my other irons which are very clicky sounding (TaylorMade M5s).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ShawnSum said:

MBs and the mis hits really don't seem like that big of a deal (specially compared to how you hear people talk about it).

It’s fine if the MB’s ‘feel’ better to you. But when it comes to knowing if an iron is better or not for our game, many of us use data. You said mis-hits don’t ‘seem like that big of a deal.’ Not to be an ass but many of us want to know if an iron is better for our game. Going with only feel, ‘seems’ is why so many myths existed for so long and still continue...like ‘ it’s my putting that’s killing my scores.’ 
Not being a ‘data guy’ is fine but you have to accept that those MBs may not be the best club for your game. If you’re fine with that that’s ok. Just sayin’...🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It’s fine if the MB’s ‘feel’ better to you. But when it comes to knowing if an iron is better or not for our game, many of us use data. You said mis-hits don’t ‘seem like that big of a deal.’ Not to be an ass but many of us want to know if an iron is better for our game. Going with only feel, ‘seems’ is why so many myths existed for so long and still continue...like ‘ it’s my putting that’s killing my scores.’ 
Not being a ‘data guy’ is fine but you have to accept that those MBs may not be the best club for your game. If you’re fine with that that’s ok. Just sayin’...🙂

Completely agree and was going to keep typing out a lot more stuff but felt I already wrote a big enough wall of text! I feel like this approach works for me because in the back of my mind I've always been intrigued by these types of clubs but always stayed away from them because of the whole "you're not scratch or a pro so you're not good enough to play those" debate. I'm glad I don't care about stuff like that anymore and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger and got some of my own to personally test/play with. I'm also not writing off ball data so I hope I did not come across as thinking it doesn't matter, obviously it does matter and it is very helpful to a lot of us players and to the fitters, etc out there to get the right club in our hands!

Even though my statement may sound like I'm not a "data guy" that is not true. I got fitted last year and I also just had a lesson hitting with a FlightScope so I know where my game is and what I need to work on, I also track my rounds and record stats, etc, etc. For me going the route of MBs is more of a personal thing more than anything else, I wanted to know if I could hit them well enough to play them and I can, I also wanted to get away from this whole era of jacked loft's on clubs and get back to a more traditional club. I'm a bit of a purist and always had a thing for Titleist so that also matters to me as well.

I only get to play on the weekends these days so at best I'm getting like 2 rounds a week in and that also includes any kind of practice, which most of the time means I'm going to practice a little before or after my round. So with that limited amount of time I decided I wanted to play Golf how I wanted to play it and do it using the gear I truly wanted to use!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...