Jump to content
FlyingAce

Right of Way - Turning or Tee Time?

24 posts / 1200 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I had a 9:30 tee time today. I got to the tee area at 9:25 along with the group that was turning. Since my group was not there yet, the turning group turned. A few minutes later, my group got up to the tee box and was just teeing off when another group turned. The starter came up to us and asked us to step off so the guys could turn. We were upset at that because we were already teeinv off and got into an argument with the starter. He said those turning has the right of way over those with a tee time.

Of the last 3 years that I played at this club, I always played the front 9 in less than the 2 hour pace, but we always had to wait for those who had a tee time and turn behind them. This is the first time I have heard of those turning early has the right of way.

So which is it? 

Was it wrong for the starter to tell us to let the guys go first when we were already teeing off???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I had a 9:30 tee time today. I got to the tee area at 9:25 along with the group that was turning. Since my group was not there yet, the turning group turned. A few minutes later, my group got up to the tee box and was just teeing off when another group turned. The starter came up to us and asked us to step off so the guys could turn. We were upset at that because we were already teeinv off and got into an argument with the starter. He said those turning has the right of way over those with a tee time.

Of the last 3 years that I played at this club, I always played the front 9 in less than the 2 hour pace, but we always had to wait for those who had a tee time and turn behind them. This is the first time I have heard of those turning early has the right of way.

So which is it? 

Was it wrong for the starter to tell us to let the guys go first when we were already teeing off???

I don't understand.  Did you have a tee time for the back nine?  Nobody turns onto the front nine unless it's just a 9 hole course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My course has always given the group already out there right of way. They sometimes start on 10 for unclear to me maintenance reasons or outings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't understand.  Did you have a tee time for the back nine?  Nobody turns onto the front nine unless it's just a 9 hole course.

My club is 27 holes - A, B, C.

A turns to B, B turns to C, C turns to A. The guys in question started A at 7:30 and are supposed to turn to B after 9:30.

I started on B with a 9:30 tee time, turning to C after 11:30.  My tee time was last am time on B because those players on A will start turning on B after me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

My club is 27 holes - A, B, C.

A turns to B, B turns to C, C turns to A. The guys in question started A at 7:30 and are supposed to turn to B after 9:30.

I started on B with a 9:30 tee time, turning to C after 11:30.  My tee time was last am time on B because those players on A will start turning on B after me. 

It makes sense now.  Those guys who started on A just played too fast...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the course either needs to tell groups to use up 2 hours to play their front nine, or not have a tee time at 9:30 on B.  That's cutting it too close, probably in the name of revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

I had a 9:30 tee time today. I got to the tee area at 9:25 along with the group that was turning. Since my group was not there yet, the turning group turned. A few minutes later, my group got up to the tee box and was just teeing off when another group turned. The starter came up to us and asked us to step off so the guys could turn. We were upset at that because we were already teeinv off and got into an argument with the starter. He said those turning has the right of way over those with a tee time.

Of the last 3 years that I played at this club, I always played the front 9 in less than the 2 hour pace, but we always had to wait for those who had a tee time and turn behind them. This is the first time I have heard of those turning early has the right of way.

So which is it? 

Was it wrong for the starter to tell us to let the guys go first when we were already teeing off???

Hi Ace

Hmmmm....another issue at the club you've resigned from....I'm shocked...LMAO....as I've said many times before...this club/course is a GONG SHOW.

The mistake seems to stem from a booking issue....a 730am start time on A and your 930am start time on B.

Your group had already teed off at 930am before the turned group got to the tee....if I was in your group....I would have told the starter to "pound sand"....and the group behind can wait....what's 10 more minutes.

If the 730am A group was at B already before your group was on the tee...then they should go ahead and play and then your group would wait the 10 additional minutes.

These type of issues must be a daily occurrence at a 27 hole facility.....many groups will play slower or faster than the 2 hour 9 hole pace.....golfers just have to show a bit of patience......it's a 10 minute delay.

As I said before....2 groups seems to be playing B at 930am...you had already teed off.

Besides.....if I was in the 730am group to turn on B....I'd let your group go ahead so I could tell all my POSER golf partners..."look at Ace....watch her play golf for the next 9 holes....you could all learn something.....that's how a 5.5  cap plays golf"😁

Just think positively....you only have a month left at this club....but when you're gone....I will miss all your posts about all the NONSENSE that happens at your club.....I don't think you'll have many DRAMA posts from Paako.

 

Edited by Mr22putt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't understand.  Did you have a tee time for the back nine?  Nobody turns onto the front nine unless it's just a 9 hole course.

Same here. Why on earth is your course taking tee times for the back nine before 10 in the morning?!  Makes no sense whatsoever. If I was making the turn at that time and saw a new group in front of us, I'd be pissed! At them and at the course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not sure I understand the process here.  There are tee times from 7:30 until 9:30 on nines A, B and C.  Players finishing A go to B.  B goes to C and C to A.  Clearly, if the players with a 7:30am tee time on A arrive at B, they need to wait until the 9:30 players tee off.  Otherwise everything gets screwed up.

If I have the 9:30 tee time on B (the last tee time until 11:30am, presumably), I can't let the 7:30am group from A go in front.  Soon the 7:40 group will arrive and they will want to go in front of me and so on.  I could sit there letting every group from A make the turn/tee off and THEN, the 11:30am group arrives.

What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to ask how they handle it at the one course I play at with 27 holes, but I’m inclined to agree with the starter here.

Delaying a group from beginning their round seems less disruptive than delaying a group in the middle of their round. If the group that started at 7:30 was the one that showed up to turn at 9:30 which the starter made you wait for, then yea I think that’s the right thing to do, given that’s their “allotted” time slot. If it was the 7:40 group and they showed up early I can see making them wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, billchao said:

If it was the 7:40 group and they showed up early I can see making them wait.

@billchao The group in question was the 7:45 group (we are doing 15-min tee) which came to the turn AFTER my 9:30 group was already on the tee box. This happened at 9:42 because my group had to wait for the faiway to open up when the 7:30 group turned infront of us. The starter actually drove up to interrupt our group and asked us to step off the tee box for the guys to turn...

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I am not sure I understand the process here.  There are tee times from 7:30 until 9:30 on nines A, B and C.  Players finishing A go to B.  B goes to C and C to A.  Clearly, if the players with a 7:30am tee time on A arrive at B, they need to wait until the 9:30 players tee off.  Otherwise everything gets screwed up.

If I have the 9:30 tee time on B (the last tee time until 11:30am, presumably), I can't let the 7:30am group from A go in front.  Soon the 7:40 group will arrive and they will want to go in front of me and so on.  I could sit there letting every group from A make the turn/tee off and THEN, the 11:30am group arrives.

What am I missing?

@bkuehn1952 Exactly my question! I would never get to tee off if I have to give way to those who are turning. Then what’s the point in making a tee time?

When we finally got to tee off, a twosome walker was already behind us and the whole time we were stuck waiting for the group that cut infront of us, and the twosome was on our tail. I later found out the group behind came from C and should have turned to A, but they decided to turn onto B and the starter allowed them to...*roll eyes*

On 6/4/2020 at 4:08 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

So the course either needs to tell groups to use up 2 hours to play their front nine, or not have a tee time at 9:30 on B.  That's cutting it too close, probably in the name of revenue.

@Double Mocha Man yes, the club double booked the 9:30 on B. Idiots! 

Edited by FlyingAce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Double Mocha ManYes, the club double booked the 9:30 on B. Idiots! 

I worked in a hotel once and we double booked 5% of our rooms to account for no-shows. But boy, when everybody shows up and nobody cancels then all hell breaks loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, Mr22putt said:

Hi Ace

Hmmmm....another issue at the club you've resigned from....I'm shocked...LMAO....as I've said many times before...this club/course is a GONG SHOW.

The mistake seems to stem from a booking issue....a 730am start time on A and your 930am start time on B.

Your group had already teed off at 930am before the turned group got to the tee....if I was in your group....I would have told the starter to "pound sand"....and the group behind can wait....what's 10 more minutes.

If the 730am A group was at B already before your group was on the tee...then they should go ahead and play and then your group would wait the 10 additional minutes.

These type of issues must be a daily occurrence at a 27 hole facility.....many groups will play slower or faster than the 2 hour 9 hole pace.....golfers just have to show a bit of patience......it's a 10 minute delay.

As I said before....2 groups seems to be playing B at 930am...you had already teed off.

Besides.....if I was in the 730am group to turn on B....I'd let your group go ahead so I could tell all my POSER golf partners..."look at Ace....watch her play golf for the next 9 holes....you could all learn something.....that's how a 5.5  cap plays golf"😁

Just think positively....you only have a month left at this club....but when you're gone....I will miss all your posts about all the NONSENSE that happens at your club.....I don't think you'll have many DRAMA posts from Paako.

 

I have no issues with the 7:30 group turning infront of us to maintain pace if they are early and they did so at 9:20, not exactly my tee time yet. But the starter kicked my group off the tee box at 9:42 so the 7:45 group can turn! It made absolutely no sense at all! And if my group were all men, this wouldn’t have happened. 

I blame this on 1. The club for assigning a 9:30 tee time on B, knowing that people will be turning. 2. The starter for not knowing how to do his job and 3. The 7:45 group to not stop the starter from approaching us. If I were in their shoes, I’d have told the starter not to bother since the other group was already teeing off. 

Yes. ONE month left and I won’t have to deal with all these drama!!!! I don’t want to use this platform to complain so hopefully I will be able to start contributing to real golf talk soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

@billchao The group in question was the 7:45 group (we are doing 15-min tee) which came to the turn AFTER my 9:30 group was already on the tee box. This happened at 9:42 because my group had to wait for the faiway to open up when the 7:30 group turned infront of us. The starter actually drove up to interrupt our group and asked us to step off the tee box for the guys to turn...

You wrote previously that the group in question was the 7:30 group? So the 7:30 group was the one that arrived on the tee before your group got together and then the starter made you wait for the 7:45 group?

I assume the 7:45 group is supposed to make the turn at 9:45. So at 9:25 the 7:30 group turned and your 9:30 group had to wait for the fairway to clear to tee off which ended up being around 9:40, when the starter told your group to wait to let the group that’s supposed to turn at 9:45 go ahead? That’s dumb. What happens if you were waiting for the 7:45 group to clear the fairway and the 8:00 group showed up on the tee? Were you supposed to just let everyone through?

Is your club run by people in the airline industry by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

You wrote previously that the group in question was the 7:30 group? So the 7:30 group was the one that arrived on the tee before your group got together and then the starter made you wait for the 7:45 group?

I assume the 7:45 group is supposed to make the turn at 9:45. So at 9:25 the 7:30 group turned and your 9:30 group had to wait for the fairway to clear to tee off which ended up being around 9:40, when the starter told your group to wait to let the group that’s supposed to turn at 9:45 go ahead? That’s dumb. What happens if you were waiting for the 7:45 group to clear the fairway and the 8:00 group showed up on the tee? Were you supposed to just let everyone through?

Is your club run by people in the airline industry by any chance?

Yes dumbest thing ever! The 8:00 group did show up, along with the 7:45 group from C, who for some reason wanted to get on B and the starter allowed them to!!!

I was arguing with the starter that I wasn’t going to move, but the ladies in my group did not want any drama so they said fine and moved away. I was upset at them too for not backing me up...

Because two groups squeezed in out of order, at one point we had 4 groups (9:15, 7:30, 7:45, 9:30) all on a par 4 hole. It really messed up the pace on B for the rest of the day. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Yes. ONE month left and I won’t have to deal with all these drama!!!! I don’t want to use this platform to complain so hopefully I will be able to start contributing to real golf talk soon!

Hi Ace:

I will end up missing all the posts of the NONSENSE at this club....at least I still have 3 more weeks to be able to read about the TOOLS at this club until June 30...... your last day there....it's run by a bunch of IDIOTS.

The starter is a CLOWN.

Talk about CLOWN's....my last 2 rounds I played like a CLOWN/mental midget.

On Tuesday I played with a friend...we played skins....at least I won 15 skins.....I shot 37 on the front 9 and then played like a GOOF on the back 9 ....a 46 with 4 doubles.....my chipping and pitch shots are GARBAGE...chunks and skulls.....I was 39 yards for my 3rd shot on the par 5...16th hole...ended up with a double....duh.

Played today on the other course.....another CLOWN round by in reverse order....shot 44 on the front 9 with 4 doubles again....then shot 37 on the back 9......I joined up with an older couple to start my round....they are members and quit after 9....so here I am playing as a single on the back 9 behind 4 CLOWN's in 4 carts and with a 4some behind me.....on the 15th tee the 4some caught up to me...so I asked them if they wanted to play as a 5some to finish off the round which we did.....I hate playing alone....even as a 5some we were waiting on the 4some on the final 4 holes. 

Courses here are so busy it's nearly impossible to play under 4.5 hours.

The weather here is a bit cool....65*F only....and after Monday......7 days of rain...ugh.....playing on Monday with the guy from Tuesday.

Have fun playing Paako with hubby this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of think it was ok for the first group turning to go, but the second group should have had to wait. Several years ago I was at the PGA Tour event in Greensboro. We followed the first group off #1 on Thursday morning. They were done with the front before the #10 tee times had teed off. They had to wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2020 at 6:08 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

So the course either needs to tell groups to use up 2 hours to play their front nine, or not have a tee time at 9:30 on B.  That's cutting it too close, probably in the name of revenue.

There’s a course in town that we absolutely love to play because it’s always in such good shape but if they start us on #10, we just hang our heads because we know the back 9 will be incredibly slow due to the course giving groups with a tee time on #1 priority over groups making the turn. One time out I shot a 40 on the our front 9 (starting from #10), in the groove, feeling good, only to make the turn and see thee foursomes waiting to tee off on #1. Waited 30 minutes to resume our round and by then, my mojo was gone. 🤯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...