IGNORED

Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Note:Β This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Fixed it for ya.

Ha ha. Thanks. Must have been getting late. Funny thing was that I actuallyΒ had hit a KZG driver I had in the closet yesterdayΒ before I wrote the comment and STILL got it wrong. :doh:

Ha ha. Thanks. Must have been getting late. Funny thing was that I actuallyΒ had hit a KZG driver I had in the closet yesterdayΒ before I wrote the comment and STILL got it wrong. :doh:

I played the "Q " driver & 4w for a while. I think their irons have a much better rep than their woods, but both are top notch equipment.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEXΒ  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

If your budget was limited and you were fit for the clubs (something that isn't typically an optionΒ with used clubs)Β it makes more sense to go with clones. I wouldn't put too much stock into comparing them head to head against your brothers and friends clubs unless they are set up with the same shaft as your clubs.Β  There are a few guys on here that own / owned clone clubs so I'm sure you'll get some more feedback on them. BTW, welcome to the Sand Trap!

[quote name="newtogolf" url="/t/10454/your-opinion-of-clone-clubs/150#post_934346"]If your budget was limited and you were fit for the clubs (something that isn't typically an optionΒ with used clubs)Β it makes more sense to go with clones. I wouldn't put too much stock into comparing them head to head against your brothers and friends clubs unless they are set up with the same shaft as your clubs.Β  There are a few guys on here that own / owned clone clubs so I'm sure you'll get some more feedback on them. BTW, welcome to the Sand Trap! [/quote] I wasn't really on a budget, but the whole fitting aspect of Pinemeadow was a huge seller for me as well. I didn't get fit in person but I used online charts based on height and wrist to floor measurements as well as a session at Golf Town using the TaylorMade Rocketbladez at different lengths they already had there. It was funny because my results ended up being what I expected before I had known anything about golf fitting. I use to tell my brother who I golfed with a lot that "I swear these clubs are too long". Who would have guessed every result I got from different fitting wizards (including Pings) had me at a -1/2 length & standard lie. Now I understand the whole "it's a game of inches!" But as I said before the truth will be in the results and how they feel. PS: The reason I went clones is because I love a good deal. If I can get the same components at a lower price, it just makes me feel good. I can't really explain it. It my belief that many people by OEMs for image just as much as quality (if not more for image) and that has never been a concern for me. The value of a good deal is more important to me. Once again, just my opinion (for now at least). As for the comparisons, I have used true temper shafts as well as apollos and I don't see a difference. That though, is likely due to my skill level. Once I get better, I'm sure I'll upgrade. Thanks for the welcome anyhow I appreciate it! Hope to see you around!

:oakley:Β Oakley Fairway Golf Carry BagΒ 

:gigagolf:Β GXz Driver 10.5

:gigagolf:Β GXz 3 Wood 15

:gigagolf:Β GXz 3 Hybrid 20

Pinemeadow Command Q IronsΒ 

:gigagolf:Β SGS Wedges 52, 56, 60

:odyssey:White Ice # 9 Putter

• 1 year later...

I like the the name brand clubs and if you can afford them GREAT more power to you. I myself am on a very limited budget. so I am seriously looking into clones, the set I picked up at a thrift store are clones. and been having a better experience then what I had when I bought a low end off the shelf name brand.

Elitism has been part of golf for great many years. and it seems its still partially there. "I dont want the likes of this rabble on the same course I play". if that is you... stay with the private courses... please...

Let me ask you something... do you own an iphone, ipad, ipod, dell, gateway, sony computer, or even a macbook? If you answered yes to any of those.. you OWN CLONES. Every one of them are copying competitors products. innovations are few and far between. Most innovations are done at the manufacture or component design level. I used to build exclusively clone computers back from 96-01. I still build them for myself and friends. The parts are much less expensive to acquire and often are BETTER than the "name brands".

To prove this back in 99 or 00 I build a super game system and asked Falcon NorthWest for a similar build. they quoted me 2700 dollars. which a person from the flight simulator I played bought exactly that. I built mine for around 900 my market price would have been about 1200. stats and performance? Identical! even through torture testing both systems worked flawlessly and tied on numbers +/- .01%. the only differences was they used a scuzzy drive and I used an EIDE. and he paid 1500$ more for his system and after the numbers came in he had a LOT more buyers remorse. Moral of the story... if they work well and use the right quality of components and have knowledgeable technicians. why not save loads of money? the only thing you do have to worry about is finding the right place and components required to make those things line up.

Even the parts makers often use the same quality of sub components. EVGA was a 3rd rate company, now they make comparable level video cards that Nvidia uses to make their boards. am I saying that is the same for EVERY product out there in the world? no. generic mac-n-cheese still bites. mountain drop is just not the same as mountain dew. they have facsimiles but not equals. they use inferior ingredients.

buying ebay used? thats a huge mistake. you don't know if the loft or lie is correct which would cost 5-6 dollars per club. may need regripped, new shaft for your swing speed, new length, all of which add up more and more till you pay more for the Ebay and you have used clubs..... there is no warranty no customer support. so if you did all that and still not happy with the clubs you are just S.O.L.

if your income and budget allow you to go buy thousands of dollars of new clubs and have them custom fit to you. AWESOME.

if you don't fall into that category..... do some research and find a reputable place to do business. and if you STILL don't like the clubs I use... by all means set up a credit line and appointment for fitting at the nearest big box golf pro and I will go get name brand.

Just cause you bought a Ruff Porsche dont complain when the $12,000 souped up in a home garage 3000GT blows your doors off. you can keep patting yourself on the back cause you bought the "right" name. but don't complain that he paid less or he shouldn't be allowed on "your" streets.

With all the preowned sites, online discounters, and older clubs flooding the market, no need to play clone clubs.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I looked around for used for a couple of weeks. still... used you are looking at a MINIMUM of 250 and this is in "playable" or "value" condition for the model/design I am looking for. still not in my length lie or prefered shaft for the feel. so I would need to reshaft them, adjust lie, and still be using heads that have worn out faces, possible rust, and nicks and chips on it. just cause the name is stamped on the back its not worth spending 500 dollars getting these up to "par" and knowing they've been used and have NO return policies on them. discount and discontinued models are still 2-3 times higher then the clones.

for between 250 and 350 (after all the additions of adjustments, grip, and shaft) not all of us can afford the Edel clubs at 150+ PER club. dollar for dollar and bang for your buck leans towards custom fitted clones.

I looked around for used for a couple of weeks. still... used you are looking at a MINIMUM of 250 and this is in "playable" or "value" condition for the model/design I am looking for. still not in my length lie or prefered shaft for the feel. so I would need to reshaft them, adjust lie, and still be using heads that have worn out faces, possible rust, and nicks and chips on it. just cause the name is stamped on the back its not worth spending 500 dollars getting these up to "par" and knowing they've been used and have NO return policies on them. discount and discontinued models are still 2-3 times higher then the clones.

for between 250 and 350 (after all the additions of adjustments, grip, and shaft) not all of us can afford the Edel clubs at 150+ PER club. dollar for dollar and bang for your buck leans towards custom fitted clones.

Exactly what club are you looking for? Because you must be looking in the wrong place if you are seeing a $250 minimum for a used club.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD Β :bridgestone: TD-03 PutterΒ  Β 
:tmade: 300 Tour 3WΒ Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H HybridΒ  Β  Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:tmade: TP MC irons Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β 
:ping: Glide 54 Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

$175 per club ...

At the same time, what has that got to do with the price of tea or used clubs?

(I did not always play Edel. But the Edels actually save me money because I no longer have a need to buy wedges or irons. But that is another discussion.)

I was discussing preowned or old inventory that one can pick up for a relative song.

What are you looking for?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

(I did not always play Edel. But the Edels actually save me money because I no longer have a need to buy wedges or irons. But that is another discussion.)

I understand the putter being permanent, but the irons and especially the wedges? Is it not possible to wear down the bounce?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

I understand the putter being permanent, but the irons and especially the wedges? Is it not possible to wear down the bounce?

For me, it's more about the wear of the grooves.

If the Edel irons last 4-5 years as well as the Β Gap, and SW, and the LW lasts 3 seasons, that saves me a lot of money. I used to turn over irons and wedges to the tune of 2-3 sets per year... Heck, if I keep a set for two seasons, as I have done with the Edels, that's more or less permanent for me. The irons could last 6 seasons or more.

To get back on topic, I've seen Adams and Callaway Iron sets a few seasons worn, for $200-250.

Β 

I like the RSi was my fav for consistency, Callaway BB irons (tho the look wasn't the greatest from the top they put them out there a good ways), and the G30s felt rather nice but distance and control were between the other two for me. 1/4" long 2* flat. stiff flex med/low to low kick points in the either 75/80g graphite or the 95g steel shafts. standard size grips (preference leans towards the GP multi compound grips) Β 4-pw and at the very least 5-pw

the reason I mentioned the other high end clubs was it seems most people that are first to slam clones are those that can dole out 1,500++ on their name brands. but even used, discounted, etc good luck finding a set that even after modifying/repairing (IF they can be repaired) comes close to the price of a clone set.

I like the RSi was my fav for consistency, Callaway BB irons (tho the look wasn't the greatest from the top they put them out there a good ways), and the G30s felt rather nice but distance and control were between the other two for me. 1/4" long 2* flat. stiff flex med/low to low kick points in the either 75/80g graphite or the 95g steel shafts. standard size grips (preference leans towards the GP multi compound grips) Β 4-pw and at the very least 5-pw

the reason I mentioned the other high end clubs was it seems most people that are first to slam clones are those that can dole out 1,500++ on their name brands. but even used, discounted, etc good luck finding a set that even after modifying/repairing (IF they can be repaired) comes close to the price of a clone set.

If it's all about price, go at it. They are your clubs.

I don't know why people even ask this question unless they are attempting to start a debate or have some insecurity. If you want a clone, get it. If people care what's in your bag, it's their issue. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Β 

I used to turn over irons and wedges to the tune of 2-3 sets per year... Heck, if I keep a set for two seasons, as I have done with the Edels, that's more or less permanent for me.

Then you have more money than sense. I agree you should be able to find a good set of name brand irons for $200 to $250.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

For me, it's more about the wear of the grooves. If the Edel irons last 4-5 years as well as the Β Gap, and SW, and the LW lasts 3 seasons, that saves me a lot of money. I used to turn over irons and wedges to the tune of 2-3 sets per year... Heck, if I keep a set for two seasons, as I have done with the Edels, that's more or less permanent for me. The irons could last 6 seasons or more. To get back on topic, I've seen Adams and Callaway Iron sets a few seasons worn, for $200-250.

I've only owned 7 sets of clubs in 40+ years. I get more wear with my grooves by hitting all over the face. I hit a few on the hosel to save the grooves too. I've actually thought about getting some Ping K15 irons because of their titanium faces.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Then you have more money than sense.

I agree you should be able to find a good set of name brand irons for $200 to $250.

Agree.

I need to allocate my resources elsewhere; and that is why I don't buy irons, wedges, fairways, hybrids or putters any longer. I was fit. Trying to limit myself to a driver once every couple of years or so if wanted.

Β 

Clone clubs can be just as good as the original, but I feel like if you want specific club you should buy from the original designer of the club as they spent the money for R&D.; If they are functionally similar designs, the clone still might not have the aesthetic appeal of the original. For instance, I rented a set of Mizuno-like clubs and they didn't really perform all that badly, but they didn't look as nice as the real thing so it affected my "feel" a bit.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If it's all about price, go at it. They are your clubs.

I don't know why people even ask this question unless they are attempting to start a debate or have some insecurity. If you want a clone, get it. If people care what's in your bag, it's their issue. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

thats what I was saying. the OP (did a search for clone clubs in the forum search and didn't notice it was an older post) is a brand snob shooing people away from clubs that may work well for them just cause of them not being a name brand. I was not trying to rationalize a purchase for myself. I myself, plan on getting a set once I can afford to (like I said very limited and fixed income). I felt that was where you were going with your first comment "there is no need to play clones". I apologize if this was not your intent.

and I dont care what people think whats in my bag, like you said its their issue, I care where my ball goes and I can still afford the round :) . but if someone can find new or like new clubs of those brands/models in the same price range. let me know :D .

Note:Β This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!