IGNORED

Your opinion of Clone Clubs

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It occurs to me, there's a better solution to this problem:

OR,

SparkyRedick could, suck it up... get over it(and himself), and rent himself a pull/push cart for the wagered match... if he thinks there is such an unfair advantage using one. But then again, he would have to find another excuse on why the match was unfair when he would lose his @ss and get schooled by some cart puller.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

and guess what? you are one of the worst people i have ever come across. i say screw you. it is people like you who often make the world a crappy place to live. good day!

Again, you clearly have not thoroughly read my post. I am not judging the quality of a person by their golf clubs. I am in no way, (outside this forum), making verbal judgments on people at all.

I have been told many times I am great to play golf with, I am a generally likable guy. If I was paired up with any one of you, clone users included, I am sure we would have a blast. I am simply saying that by having clone clubs you do not fully understand the essense of good golf. Please ease up on the personal attacks and assumptions about my life. However lets all please continue this wonderful discussion.

Sparky... how would you feel having your ass handed to you in a match by a scratch golfer using clones?

A straight up match he should win, he is a scratch I am a 14. If he gave me 14 strokes I would play him for money.

I am cleverly alluding your question since I do not care what clubs he plays. I would think he clearly has his priority's off since he is good at golf and yet plays inferior clubs. I have yet to meet a single digit handicapper with clones.

he would have to find another excuse on why the match was unfair when he would lose his @ss and get schooled by some cart puller.

Once again, I refuse to use a pull cart and I was never trying to make excuses for losing in golf. Yet another poster that has not fully digested all of my comments on this topic.

I think we all need to get out and settle this on the course! Tomorrow, high noon, 1st tee. I'll leave my pull cart at home, but I'm bringing my putter cover.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Once again, I refuse to use a pull cart and I was never trying to make excuses for losing in golf. Yet another poster that has not fully digested all of my comments on this topic.

Let me get this straight, you refuse to use a pull cart on the basis(you an your cohorts claim) it is an unfair advantage in a match...

Again, using your same logic, carrying rain gear(umbrella, rain pants and top) would also be extra weight... therefore, putting the person that carries this extra gear at a disadvantage. However, a person that chooses NOT to carry the rain gear would ALSO be at a disadvantage IF it actually started raining(and had NO gear to put on)... Yet again, using your convoluted logic it would still be an unfair advantage given different circumstances... therefore, they could BOTH be deemed cheaters(or at least having an "unfair advantage"). Thus, equating your logic moronic at best.

Let me get this straight, you refuse to use a pull cart on the basis(you an your cohorts claim) it is an unfair advantage in a match...

Rain gear is not against any golf rule where pull carts are at the highest level.

Sparky, your original post:

I have seen a few people with "Clone" clubs on their "Whats in your bag" signature. This makes me very upset. I am a rational person so I understand the cost is the reason people buy these, but come on. Ebay makes it so easy to get used clubs for the same price as these clones. I have not had even an off brand club in my bag since I was 16, and I am far from rich. If you are a beginner to the game, you do not need to go drop $1000 on a new set. Go get a set from a few years ago used. If you are going through the trouble of posting on a golf forum while stating you have a clone in your bag, you immediately (however irrational this is) lose my respect. Its like pull carts and iron covers, you just don't do it.

Using your logic I did a little reasearch.

Using GigaGolf, which I have ordered from in the past with good results, I put together a set of clubs: Driver (r7 Quad Clone) - $106 3-Wood (r7 Steel Clone) - $49 Hybrid (Rescue Dual Clone) - $39 Irons (PW - 3 Iron) - $159.20 Wedges - $58.50 for 3 Putter (Anser Style) - $28.50 TOTAL - $440.20 Now here are my clubs, which I either bought as used or demo clubs, all were in at least 9 out of 10 condition: Driver (r7 425) - $150 3-Wood (r7 Steel) - $60 Hybrid (Rescue Dual) - $100 Irons (PW-2 iron) - $150 (I don't use the 2 or 3 iron) Wedges (Vokey) - $75 each x3 = $225 Putter (Scotty) - $210 TOTAL - $895 Now not everyone is going to play a Scotty Cameron Putter so let's say they picked up a $60 used Ping Anser, that still gives a total of $745, which is $304.80 more expensive then getting the clone clubs. So using your logic I should have been able to purchase my name-brand used clubs for cheaper than clones, unfortunately this isn't the case (at least for me).

909D-Comp
909F-2
585H Hybrids
755 Irons
Vokey Wedges 2-Ball F7 B330S

Rain gear is not against any golf rule where pull carts are at the highest level.

Good freaken grief, It's also against the rules in mens golf at the highest level to wear shorts(even the one's specifically designed for golf)...

Would your doltish mind require your opponent to put on full length pants to have a betting match with you?

• Administrator
If you are unhappy with this thread, do not read it. The discussion will go on as long as people are posting questions about my philosophy.

One of the few rules this site has is "act like an adult." I've read the last several pages, and Sparky, you're on the edge of that one. Knock it off.

And you don't get to allege personal attacks and say that you're "insulted." I read those posts, and they're less obnoxious than most of yours. Also, learn to use multi-quote. This thread will now either get back on-topic or I'll close it. Sparky, there's no further need for you to comment in this thread - you've said your piece. Repeatedly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One of the few rules this site has is "act like an adult." I've read the last several pages, and Sparky, you're on the edge of that one. Knock it off.

Agreed.

I think golf is a game that for the majority of golfers is a social pass time, and an excuse to spend 5 hours with your friends and maybe 5 hours away from the wife . The clubs you use are simply part of the excuse to play golf with your friends, whether you choose to pay a lot of money, or a small amount of money on the clubs is up to you, because the monetary value of the club will not adversely affect the amount of enjoyment you get from a round of golf. (Obviously the above does not necessarily apply to those who play golf competitively, take it seriously and play to a fairly high level) JaY_B

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I'll agree to carry my clubs, if I can use my pull cart for a keg.

driver: G10 draw 9 degrees
hybrids DWS 16 and 20 degrees
irons: x-16 3-pw
wedges: 588 RTG 51, 56 & 60
putter: Heavy Putter B3-Mball: hx tour (I'll switch after I lose these)

I find the whole discussion of clones vs named brands to be quite amusing.

First, I have only used "clones". They are more clearly described as manufactured by companies other than the big vendors. I have rented several name brand sets. My major observation was that technology can be impressive although my game did not show it.

Second, as a novice/beginner, I know my biggest golf issue is me, not my clubs. After tweeking my swing for over a year, I finally have gotten my driver working. So, now my steel head, low profile, low volume, 5 year old very inexpensive clone driver is out driving the people I typically play with.

Third, I think most people should spend less on their clubs and more on lessons and practice. Two, three or four hundred dollars for a single club is just a silly expenditure. Similarly, paying $1200 for clubs when a "clone" exists for a sixth of the cost is just wasting money. I personally rather spend that money on more golf rounds or on my other hobbies/activities.

Fouth, I cannot say that I have ever meet anyone on the course whose ability or social acume were ever determined by the clubs they carried. My personal observation is elitist tend to have the really pricy equipment. Obviously, people with expensive equipment are not always elitists.

Fifth, I am not really into used clubs. The technology is changing so fast, it is hard to keep up. With some exceptions, old clubs are just that, old clubs. Maybe if and when I am able to use blands, they may be a market for me.

Sixth, most componts eg head, shafts, grips are manufactured in the same place, China. I believe there is only one US foundry. It is quite possible that the clone is made in the same factory by the same workers as the name brand. I would image some of these components are OEMed to several companies.

Seventh, these are golf clubs, not space vehicles. Given the constraints of the USGA and what the clubs are meant to do, there should be lots of designs and lots of companies that can manufacture a good club. "Clones" sometimes represent leading edge designs. The hybrid and square head drivers were out there in the little companies before the big boys decided they were good ideas.

Seventh, I have just purchased new clubs. After looking at the big boys, doing research on what is a good design/feature set, testing my swing, I again decided (at least partially ) on square head woods and perimeter weighted clones. I believe they represent the best value for me. Price was a component in my decision.

My clone purchasing exception was a set of Cleveland cg14s. There really are no real "clone" wedges out there. I believe the issue is that the manufacturing costs are sufficiently high with milled faces, etc that it is hard to under price the name brands.

BTW, I use a pull cart (2 wheels) and do not have iron covers (yet).

Mike K.

Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

What is wrong with pull carts??? Its healthier and cheapier than electric, and me ( a junior) is allowed to use them.

Also, Iron covers can be useful for people that use expensive, forged irons.

This is a very irrational post.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

You have got to be kidding me. I consider myself a lower handi and I play golfworks maltby MMB irons, with Black gold shafts, I also use a push cart. OMG I must suck cus my irons dont say Taylormade! I also must be cheating cus if tiger could use a push cart he would be so much better!!! Oh wait Tiger has a caddie and I dont. humm real advantige for the push carts.

Great use of the word 'trolley'. Now I can speak some English English if I ever get over there.

Just a word to the wise, Mike - 'trolleys' are also slang for underpants, in some parts of England...

Handle with care! On the original subject... I started playing with an ancient set of clubs I bought for £50. Then I bought a second-hand set of Cobras for £250. I decided to sample titanium heads and graphite shafts through a Confidence driver I bought for £50. It worked, so I bought the Mizuno for £250 - and not surprisingly, it's better. As my current Callaways are better than the Cobras that replaced the 2nd-hand set. By spending little at outset, I found out - relatively cheaply - if the game suited me. It did, and I invested more. Luckily, the club I'm a member of has a wide social mix, with a wide variety of clubs on view. Anyone who wants to play the game and observes the rules is welcome - we judge people by their characters, not the badge on their equipment. I've seen people play very well with Powerbilts, and very badly with Taylor Mades and Callaways. It's who they are and how they play, not what they lug about, that matters. I, too, mix with mid and low handicappers - as low as 1 handicap, which I believe is pretty good. Up until I came across this discussion, no-one has ever mentioned anything about trolleys, carts, buggies or anything similar. It's entirely a personal preference, same as, say, Odyssey putter over Scotty Cameron. Really, who cares, so long as buggies, trolleys and carts are kept off the greens and the tees? Personally, I use a trolley. I can still hit the ball over the last few holes because I haven't knackered myself - that's my personal preference. Oh, and are our players good? Well, both our men's teams (singles and pairs) won their leagues last year. Ladies did pretty well, too. Among our notable scalps was Ferndown GC, a long-established club in Bournemouth, where Peter Allis learned his trade. So yes, we're good. And we can mix freely with the highest in the land - despite using trolleys!

Note: This thread is 3223 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!