IGNORED

When I used to play, it was 1W, 3W, 2i, 3i, ....PW, SW.

Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Perfect.  I will shop for a used 19/21/25 loft hybrid to get me in that 180-200 range

Let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been thinking about getting a 5W to match my Mizuno 1W(270yard av.) 3W (250y) as I have issues on our links hard short fairway grass during most of the year and have given up trying to use the 3W off the deck ... have got a PING G 4h and 4i the hybrid I can push to 230y if I give it 90% effort etc and get a  clean hit... 4i shorter by a touch have got 3x PAR 5s at my local I very rarely make the green on the second usually within 10-20y (so close by so far!!).... not sure if a 5W will be the answer or maybe 2i-3i ?? and ditch the hybrid ?? 

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

21 hours ago, Used2PlayALot said:

Perfect.  I will shop for a used 19/21/25 loft hybrid to get me in that 180-200 range

I got new hybrids online called Pinemeadow (19 and 22 ).  They are the cheapest I could find.  I have been playing them for about 2 years.  The club heads are heavy.  But they hit true, and the quality of the clubs is wonderful.

I also have an old 5h.  It has a shorter shaft, and that means it is my go-to club for stuff like punching and also putting from thick rough just off the green.  The broad sole does not get yanked sideways by wet grass like an iron.

7 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Been thinking about getting a 5W to match my Mizuno 1W(270yard av.) 3W (250y) as I have issues on our links hard short fairway grass during most of the year and have given up trying to use the 3W off the deck ... have got a PING G 4h and 4i the hybrid I can push to 230y if I give it 90% effort etc and get a  clean hit...  

If you hit your 4H 230 yards and 3W 250 yards off the tee but not off the deck, a 3H, 2H, or 5W would almost certainly fit within the gap.  Does your local store have a launch monitor you can use to decide which club to buy from them?

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 6/22/2020 at 12:14 AM, Shindig said:

If you hit your 4H 230 yards and 3W 250 yards off the tee but not off the deck, a 3H, 2H, or 5W would almost certainly fit within the gap.  Does your local store have a launch monitor you can use to decide which club to buy from them?

Yes local has one ... would like to try a 2-3 iron ...can hit my 4i pretty good most of the time.and can hit it pretty straight most of the time baby fade etc... guess it a matter of trail and error my local pro reckons I just need to keep trying the 3w off the deck ....thats another idea just more practice ... my biggest issue is a good size fade using the 3w which brings in the rough to out of bounds unless I'm aiming well left of target

Go Foxy Go

11 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Yes local has one ... would like to try a 2-3 iron ...can hit my 4i pretty good most of the time.and can hit it pretty straight most of the time baby fade etc... guess it a matter of trail and error my local pro reckons I just need to keep trying the 3w off the deck ....thats another idea just more practice ... my biggest issue is a good size fade using the 3w which brings in the rough to out of bounds unless I'm aiming well left of target

If you have access to a grass range, tee up a 3-wood, hit a few shots teed up.  Then begin hitting it with a lower and lower tee.  That's how I got to the point where I could hit a 3 wood off the deck.  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 6/24/2020 at 3:34 AM, Shindig said:

If you have access to a grass range, tee up a 3-wood, hit a few shots teed up.  Then begin hitting it with a lower and lower tee.  That's how I got to the point where I could hit a 3 wood off the deck.  

Right makes sense thanks 

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!