IGNORED

Taking My Son Out for His First 9 Holes Tomorrow

Chris Stewart
Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Chris Stewart said:

I'm just hoping he finds a sport for life, and it gives us another avenue to spend time together. He's going on 13. Time is flying. Taking all the chances I can right now as I'm sure before I know it he'll be out of the house.

Good age.  I started golf at 12 and there was no looking back.  You need to find out which of his friends play, too.  Or help to get them out on the course.

My son and I, besides golf, played a lot of neighborhood basketball, street ball, frisbee and billards.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 6/24/2020 at 12:29 PM, Sean_D said:

Check out Operation 36. It aims to teach the game from the green to the tee. A golfer starts at 25 yards and once they shoot 36 or better over 9 holes they move back to 50 yds., then 100, then 150, then 200 all the way back to full tee length. My wife is considering playing golf, and I will use this approach with her.

I know a lot of “golfers” who would never get beyond 150 yards...   ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

I know a lot of “golfers” who would never get beyond 150 yards...   ;-)

Most golfers would never get beyond 150

• iacas changed the title to Taking My Son Out for His First 9 Holes Tomorrow

I am not sure how old my son was in my avatar picture, but I'd guess around 10.  He will be 17 in 2 days and he is a lot better than me now. I did beat his score in the first week of league play this year, but I haven't come close since and have been beat by 10 strokes in 9 holes. But he does practice a lot more than me.

Our course sets up 9 holes as a par 3 course every Monday.  While it is a money game, anybody play the course and I think that is a good way to introduce kids to the game.

A couple weeks ago a friend invited my son and I to play with him and his 6, 8 and 10 year old sons along with another guy and his 6 year old. We teed off after 6:30 when the course was mostly empty and played a 2 man scramble with each kid with an adult partner.  The 6 year olds teed off from the 100 marker, the 8 from the 150, and the 10 from the 200. It made for a fun evening and I was impressed by the kids.  My 8 year old partner made our only 2 birdies and drove the green from 150 out on one hole. We only used my drive on par 3s and the last hole where he put his in the water. We finished even par to win a candy bar. 

War Eagle!

Note: This thread is 1396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!