24 posts / 955 viewsLast Reply

50 minutes ago, billchao said:

If every person in a foursome really took 2 minutes every drive, they’d basically be still walking to their second shots by the time the group behind them is supposed to be teeing off. It would probably take over 20 minutes for them to play a single hole.

It usually isn't every player. One or two is what turns what should be a 3:30 round (IMO this is the longest is should take to play a round) into a 5:30 round.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I can agree that rounds shouldn't take 4:30 or more to play, and courses can do a lot to help speed things along.  But you sound like you'd still be impatient at a 4:00 pace

This is pretty accurate, but I am ok with 4:00 for sure.

You have some choice in the matter, you can and should find ways to slow your pace somewhat when you know you can't go "fast", take small measures to decrease the amount of time you spend standing and waiting.  Stroll, don't stride, and you'll enjoy life more.

More golf would be more enjoyable to me, and sometimes its the difference between 18 holes on a weekend day, and what could be 36 holes on that same day. I would gladly stay at the course for 7-8 hours if it meant I got 2 rounds in, but 5-5:30 for one round (with my warm up included) feels like I am getting jipped for my time by others.

I find that its extremely easy to decide how someone else should spend their money.  In this case, you're suggesting that the course spend some money to make your own life better.  But from the business side, they have to decide whether spending that additional money will cause an increase in revenue. 

I mentioned how they have volunteers just sitting around half the time. Put 'em to good use I say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

It usually isn't every player. One or two is what turns what should be a 3:30 round (IMO this is the longest is should take to play a round) into a 5:30 round.

5:30 is definitely slow, but 3:30 is well under what most courses consider the expected pace of play. You like to play fast, but you can’t expect everyone else to accommodate that.

Just now, billchao said:

5:30 is definitely slow, but 3:30 is well under what most courses consider the expected pace of play. You like to play fast, but you can’t expect everyone else to accommodate that.

I agree. I suppose that I would be ok with up to 4:30, as long as I can't see a particular person that "takes all day". The wannabe Brysons or Holmes are the ones I take issue with.

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Most courses are pace rated for 4 hours to 4 1/2 hours.

My original point is also that if you are pushing people on a golf course that’s over 50% saturated you’re causing problems, not solutions.

I think this concept makes sense if you think of it like merging on the highway, when you go from 3 lanes to 2, or similar. If everyone could just zipper in at, say, 55 mph, you're still slowing down, but it's much better than when people try to slam into a spot where there isn't room, everyone slams on brakes, and we're at 15 mph.