IGNORED

Golf Lessons and the Slump

skywaterbanjo
Note: This thread is 1341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 7/14/2020 at 1:36 PM, cooke119 said:

Over the last two rounds I developed a strong pull to the left, (I am a righty), even with my woods, can't figure out what the hell has gone wrong. Have a lesson tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. Just hope he doesn't want to redo my entire swing. I think I just need a little something changed, we'll see.

Well I finally had the lesson after a rain delay. Bottom line is my swing is all screwed up, over the top, flicking my wrests , etc. etc. He pointed out what I am doing wrong and I'm trying to correct but it is not going so well. My problem is I am playing this coming Tuesday in a league outing. I am managing to hit my 3W fairly well so I think the driver stays in the bag, we'll see.

I don't understand how you can go from a fairly good swing to being all screwed up overnight, must be a brain thing.

16 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Well I finally had the lesson after a rain delay. Bottom line is my swing is all screwed up, over the top, flicking my wrests , etc. etc. He pointed out what I am doing wrong and I'm trying to correct but it is not going so well. My problem is I am playing this coming Tuesday in a league outing. I am managing to hit my 3W fairly well so I think the driver stays in the bag, we'll see.

I don't understand how you can go from a fairly good swing to being all screwed up overnight, must be a brain thing.

Maybe you are getting old. My body surely remembers I hit it last day. And need more and more warmup. And Need to read just my swing for less rotation al capabilities and numb wrists. My rotation is completly different from going out fresh to playing every other day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm happy to report that the lessons are starting to pay off.  My hcp is back down to 9.6 after shooting up to 11.6.  I feel like my swing is a bit more consistent and I'm missing less that I did before lessons.  I practice every day, hitting 50-100 balls on days I don't play.  I'm sure I'm doing it exactly right but at least I'm feeling better about my game.  My partner and I won our member-member this weekend.  Paid for my lessons.

The key is for the movement to become part of muscle memory so I don't have to think about the mechanics on the course.

Mark in Colorado

On 7/20/2020 at 7:11 AM, knott said:

Maybe you are getting old. My body surely remembers I hit it last day. And need more and more warmup. And Need to read just my swing for less rotation al capabilities and numb wrists. My rotation is completly different from going out fresh to playing every other day. 

Last weeks game, after the lesson, was awful and very embarrassing. But yesterday I went to the range with a friend and had him watch my swing, (he is not a pro). He saw that I had my feet to close together and I was hesitating at the top of my swing. So I widened my stance a lot and just took a natural swing and don't you know I was bombing them down the middle, problem solved. Same with my woods off the mat. And I felt really good, much more stable, and my confidence returned. Now my question is why the Pro, who I paid $65 for a 1/2 hour lesson, didn't see that, waste of money. Can't wait to play this Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, cooke119 said:

Last weeks game, after the lesson, was awful and very embarrassing. But yesterday I went to the range with a friend and had him watch my swing, (he is not a pro). He saw that I had my feet to close together and I was hesitating at the top of my swing. So I widened my stance a lot and just took a natural swing and don't you know I was bombing them down the middle, problem solved. Same with my woods off the mat. And I felt really good, much more stable, and my confidence returned. Now my question is why the Pro, who I paid $65 for a 1/2 hour lesson, didn't see that, waste of money. Can't wait to play this Tuesday. 

I am fiddling with that also. Been using a more upright lie that let me me rotate more freely with less bent legs. That gives me more time to get all things right before impact but easy to loose balance just a bit.  I do use a wider stance with my woods because they I get around more easilly with. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, cooke119 said:

You know I think many "pros" who teach aren't good, but…

maybe…

the pro wanted your stance that width, and your friend may have found a band-aid or something that might do something short-term, but won't help much long-term.

How wide are these stances, for example?

01.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Not sure about the instructor, but it does take time and practice to make adjustments. Don’t give up on things too quickly. A narrow stance can help too as it helps get your weight forward a bit easier. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I've heard (don't know from experience), that the worst thing you can do after a lesson is fiddle with something yourself. Instructors aren't trying to give you a quick fix to bomb em down the middle. They are trying to mold an accurate, repeatable swing from what you have.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!