IGNORED

Why Do You Play Golf?

phedrick
Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Here in the Mitten, we can play almost year round.

What'ch drinking?  (jk)

I'm usually done at the end of October and start mid April.    Davison must use a different calendar!  :whistle:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't have any choice.  Every adult male I came in contact with, in my Wonder Bread years, was nutty about golf.  Often as not (after church) we hit the battleship roast buffet at the country club.  Being somewhat competent, at golf, was a rite of passage.  It has never occurred to me not to play golf.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

13 minutes ago, Piz said:

I didn't have any choice.  Every adult male I came in contact with, in my Wonder Bread years, was nutty about golf.  Often as not (after church) we hit the battleship roast buffet at the country club.  Being somewhat competent, at golf, was a rite of passage.  It has never occurred to me not to play golf.

Please, share more about that battleship roast buffet...

• Like 1

Why do I play golf....hmmm...interesting question.  

My ex-wife (first) had lots of uncles who all played golf and they would all end up at my home around the time of The Masters.  We would watch it and they would talk golf.  That was when I took an "interest" in the game.  

But, the real reason I play I think is best summed up by the Hardy Greaves character in the movie "Legend of Bagger Vance".

Rannulph Junuh:
You really love this game, don't you?

Hardy Greaves:
It's the greatest game there is.

Rannulph Junuh:
You really think so?

Hardy Greaves:
Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it.

So, that says it all for me...."There just ain't no other game like it".  And besides, I cannot find another form of self abuse I like this much.  

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

11 hours ago, The Flush said:

I golf because I have more time and money than I have brains, and I don't have much time or money.

🤣

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

11 hours ago, dennyjones said:

What'ch drinking?  (jk)

I'm usually done at the end of October and start mid April.    Davison must use a different calendar!  :whistle:

We breed our golfers tough (and liberal) in Ann Arbor!!

• Like 2

Brian Kuehn

Took it up when I was 57, just after I retired. I wanted male company, wanted to make sure I got exercise, and needed to kill time. The only problem is that I find it a real strain on my body. Elbows and shoulders suffer terribly

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

We breed our golfers tough (and liberal) in Ann Arbor!!

I'm just thinking what would happen to a golfer who is a liberal at my golf club. I live in an extremely right wing area, if my town was in the USA it would be real Trump territory. Liberals and lefties get served in hot dog rolls here 😁

- Simon Hornsby

I play golf because I can. I use to be pretty good at this game. 

It's fun, and good exercise for me.

I also have a lot of long time friends who also play, so there's also that side of it. 

It's also quite possible that I just like smacking that ball around the course for a few hours each day. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

52 minutes ago, Patch said:

I play golf because I can. I use to be pretty good at this game.

Ditto. Just like the the Toby Keith song, I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

52 minutes ago, Patch said:

It's fun, and good exercise for me.

I'm not so sure about the fun part. 😉

53 minutes ago, Patch said:

I also have a lot of long time friends who also play, so there's also that side of it.

My friend that I have played with for years doesn't really play anymore. He has bone on bone arthritis in his thumb, and his hands shake so bad, he can hardly tee up a ball. 😳 Other golf friends have moved elsewhere.

- Shane

3 hours ago, Mr Puddle said:

Took it up when I was 57, just after I retired. I wanted male company, wanted to make sure I got exercise, and needed to kill time. The only problem is that I find it a real strain on my body. Elbows and shoulders suffer terribly

I'm just thinking what would happen to a golfer who is a liberal at my golf club. I live in an extremely right wing area, if my town was in the USA it would be real Trump territory. Liberals and lefties get served in hot dog rolls here 😁

No politics please. Last warning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There is nothing better than playing well at golf. ... And almost nothing more frustrating than playing poorly... I've done my share of both. 

• Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I play golf because it is a unique combination of things that I enjoy:

• Physical athletic/coordination challenge
  • Psychological challenge
  • Lots of opportunity for pursuit of growth/improvement
  • Low impact compared to my previous sports (soccer, football, basketball)
  • Exercise (I walk/carry/push exclusively for the most part)
  • Outdoors
  • Personal time away from wife & children
  • Spend time with friends who play
  • Like 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Growing up I played lots of different sports, but not golf. As I got older I took up golf just to get out and have some exercise and some challenge. As I retired I was too old to play other sports like fast pitch softball that I really enjoyed. Forget baseball, football or even basketball.   

So golf was the ideal sport to play. I really got into it and the more I played the more it challenged me. The more it challenged me the harder I tried until I became fairly proficient at it. After I got to the point I no longer could reach greens on most par 4s/5s in regulation it became a challenge to make par on those holes. I love this game so much I hate it at times, but I continue to challenge it as it also challenges me every round. 

Edited by shanksalot
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Please, share more about that battleship roast buffet...

It was pretty standard Sunday buffet fare when I was growing up.  My dad called it a battleship roast due to his time in the Navy.  They were about two feet in diameter and there would be a guy, in a chef's outfit, carving off thin slices for you with a long serrated knife.  Surrounding the massive joint were small, white, peeled and roasted potatoes...swimming in dark juice.  That's about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Why I play golf, wow what a happy thought.

It is a connection to my past, the good times with my Dad on a course.  I can still remember 50 years ago this summer and the very first time i played.  My Dad gave me a Junior Club 7 iron & Putter and off we went together.  I still have both of those clubs.  

The joy of hitting a spectacular shot from an incredible lob wedge out of the rough last round to just hammering a Drive.  To see those shots and look at a PGA player on TV and say - I can do that, while not as consistent but still to see it done and do it.  I want no part of tackling Derrick Henry but i could play golf with Rory McIlroy, if he let me.

The uniqueness of the architecture of each and every golf course all over the world.  Are there really any two courses the same?  To see how the Local 9 was laid out to some of the most exclusive Country Clubs in the country (yes i have been lucky to know some people).  I find this so cool.

To step up on the 1st Tee and meet someone for the first time and know already have in common - Golf and from there you build a new friendship.  

Golf is literally the coolest sport there is, you can hit one completely laterally and bomb the crap out of a Drive and still see the Pros do the same thing and laugh at yourself and them as well.

So why i play the game - it fills me with Happy Thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I have Parkinson's in my right hand that was brought on by Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Diet and exercise will almost completely remove my tremor.  (I also take medications) 

That is mainly why I golf.

I also just enjoy the game. 

Retired Old Man

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Because crack is not socially acceptable... but golf is.

Both involve a small white object that completely rules your life.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

As a dapper gentleman I had the pleasure of playing a round with once told me, "You don't seem like you have enough sense to quit."

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!